AnkH

RESOLVED Sky never blue...

Hi all, I am generally a happy user of REX EF, especially in more cloudy conditions, the sim looks extremly realistic in regard of the lighting and the general mood of the picture. However, if the weather is "better", less clouds, more sunny, I realized that the sky is always way to greyish, never really blue. Example yesterday and today in Switzerland, I get a rather grey sky but if I look outside the window, the sky I see through the clouds is bright blue.

What setting can I use to adjust this? I am currently using purely the automation mode, as I do not have the time and patience to got through all those settings myself...

BTW: I do not use any other shader modifier anymore. I restored the default shaders via PTA and currently only use REX EF. However, the grey sky issue is also present if I use a PTA preset. Then I use EF in combination with SkyForce, where I use the R%D Ultimate Realism preset (https://www.rdpresets.com/REX-sky-force.html) and Active Sky P3D as weather engine. According to the sky textures I select in SF, the sky should have a nice blue tone in almost any time of the day, but EF turns it into a greyish sky.

Then, what I also observed: generally, the colours are little bit washed out with EF. PTA with the NZFSIM preset from Adam results in a more vibrant looking sim, more colours. I guess I can achieve the same using EF, but also when using the automation system?

Thanks for any hint,

Regards

Chris

@AnkH

Hi Chris!

While the guys from REX are investigating your issue,you may find the time to join the REX discord channel,

where I am often in.I really would like to help you,as EF is a very powerful program.

I guess you're in Switzerland so your time of the day should be the same  as mine in Germany.

Regards,

Scott

Honestly, I am not the discord or skype or teamspeak kind of simmer. As I have utterly unregular moments where I find time to fumble around at my sim it would be very hard to find a moment to talk. I prefer the classic way: via support forum here or via email ;-)

On 7/8/2019 at 3:02 AM, AnkH said:

Hi all, I am generally a happy user of REX EF, especially in more cloudy conditions, the sim looks extremly realistic in regard of the lighting and the general mood of the picture. However, if the weather is "better", less clouds, more sunny, I realized that the sky is always way to greyish, never really blue. Example yesterday and today in Switzerland, I get a rather grey sky but if I look outside the window, the sky I see through the clouds is bright blue.

Chris, the general color of the sky is dictated by sky textures themselves. Please post a screenshot of your EF Automation screen.

On 7/8/2019 at 3:02 AM, AnkH said:

BTW: I do not use any other shader modifier anymore. I restored the default shaders via PTA and currently only use REX EF. However, the grey sky issue is also present if I use a PTA preset. Then I use EF in combination with SkyForce, where I use the R%D Ultimate Realism preset (https://www.rdpresets.com/REX-sky-force.html) and Active Sky P3D as weather engine. According to the sky textures I select in SF, the sky should have a nice blue tone in almost any time of the day, but EF turns it into a greyish sky.

The main culprit of desaturated skies is the fog/visibility, especially when utilizing the volumetric fog option in P3D set to ON. Try that setting OFF and let us know if that reduces the issue.

• Thanks 1

Volumetric fog OFF means no more nice fog in valleys below mountain tops if weather is accordingly, no? This would definitively not be an option for me, volumetric fog is a huge immersion enhancer if the conditions are met.

I will post a screenshot as soon as I have time, I moved last weekend, that is why I did not yet find any second to run the sim again. But thanks already for the hints...

Ok, had some time to test it. Disabling volumetric fog inside the P3D weather menue indeed makes a huge difference and the sky is blue again. But now: will this not prevent me from seeing nice fog in valleys etc. in mountaineous regions? This would be a very bad drawback...

Can you show a screenshot of what you are seeing when it isn't blue when the P3D fog is enabled?

Ok, I did several tests yesterday with different (all kind of) sky textures from SF and it seems that it is rather a saturation and contrast setting thing in the REX mini GUI. As soon as I found a nice looking saturation and contrast setting in the REX EF HDR tab of the mini UI, the sky also looked blue enough with P3D volumetric fog enabled. Means: it was probably rather the washed out looks of the default settings that let me think there was not enough blue in the sky.

Now I need to figure out how to tell REX EF automatic mode to always use the saturation and contrast setting I found to suit my setup best. Can I store this somewhere? For now, each time I fire up P3D, those two values are reverted back to default...

Automatic mode does not change the sky or hdr settings.  It only affects the elements listed within the Automation Window.

8 hours ago, rstough said:

Automatic mode does not change the sky or hdr settings.  It only affects the elements listed within the Automation Window.

I am aware of this. However, it does change saturation and contrast of the image and this led to the rather washed out sky not really looking blue. As soon as I put the saturation and contrast in the mini UI under "REX EF HDR" (or something like that) on a level that the washed out look disappeared, also the sky had it's nice blue colour back. All I need to figure out now is how to save the saturation and contrast setting as such as that those values are used when firing up my sim... "save state" it is according to other threads, need to find this...

8 hours ago, AnkH said:

I am aware of this. However, it does change saturation and contrast of the image and this led to the rather washed out sky not really looking blue. As soon as I put the saturation and contrast in the mini UI under "REX EF HDR" (or something like that) on a level that the washed out look disappeared, also the sky had it's nice blue colour back. All I need to figure out now is how to save the saturation and contrast setting as such as that those values are used when firing up my sim... "save state" it is according to other threads, need to find this...

On the Mini UI there is a Save button and it also should have an automatic save session option that defaults on for when you start the sim again with EF enabled.

• Thanks 1

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 4:29 PM, rstough said:

On the Mini UI there is a Save button and it also should have an automatic save session option that defaults on for when you start the sim again with EF enabled.

Ok, did not find a "save button", but I found a "save last state" option. I had a "-" (dash) there, changed it to a green tick mark. But still, when shutting down P3D and restarting it, values are back to "default"... Or are the values resetted to zero according to the saved state? E.g.:

Saturation was on 1.060, I put it to 1.300 and then the next time I fire up P3D, it is again on 1.060...

Or do I misuse the "button"? Do I have to change the values and THEN click on the "save last state" to let the green tick mark appear? Might be that I accidentially always "saved" the default values...

image.png

This is an option to save variables close to the bottom of the mini UI.

• Thanks 1

Oh, seems that I never scrolled down enough, thanks for pointing this out.

On ‎8‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, REX Support said:

Hi, May we consider this issue Resolved.

Yes, you can consider the thread fully resolved. Thanks for the help!