Mac6737

ANSWERED I'm confused about Relationships: like SkyForce and Texture Direct

Maybe I could suss this all out by myself in a million years, but I thought I'd ask the experts.

I upgraded from FSX to P3d v.4 in February.  FSX is still on my PC.

So are REX TD - Soft Clouds and REX Skyforce 3D. Both are installed in FSX.  REX TD - Soft Clouds is also installed in P3D.v.4.  I have downloaded the P3D.v.4 version of SkyForce 3D, but have yet to install it , and I hesitate to do so, since I really don't understand what it is supposed to improve.  As it is, my sims are working quite well.

-- If you install SkyForce, do settings in it override TD settings?

-- Soft Clouds is a separate program on my hard drive.  Is it permanently linked to TD, with no separate functions?

-- Granted, I've bought SkyForce, but what will it do for me if I install it in P3D.v.4?  My textures, skies and clouds now look just as good in P3D as they did in FSX.

-- What is the relationship between the TD weather and cloud choices and the resident weather themes in P3D?  For instance, "Heavy Thunderstorm" is a P3D (and FSX) weather theme.  Does that theme simply use the TD cloud images instead of defaults?   

-- How can I  get those big puffy cumulonimbus clouds (a/k/a "thunderheads").  I don't believe they exist in TED - Soft Clouds.  I think they do in SkyForce, but, to revert to the beginning:

-- What is the relationship between TD-SC and SF 3D ???

Thanks all,

Mac6737       

Hi Mac, 

On 7/7/2019 at 1:49 PM, Mac6737 said:

If you install SkyForce, do settings in it override TD settings?

Both of these programs have an options manager to instruct which texture categories are to be installed. 

Soft Clouds is a separate program on my hard drive.  Is it permanently linked to TD, with no separate functions?

If you have Texture Direct with Soft Clouds integrated into it, you can remove the separate Soft Clouds program.

Granted, I've bought SkyForce, but what will it do for me if I install it in P3D.v.4?  My textures, skies and clouds now look just as good in P3D as they did in FSX.

Sky Force is more than just a texture replacement. Look here for a full recap of what it is: http://www.rexsimulations.com/skyforce.html

For instance, "Heavy Thunderstorm" is a P3D (and FSX) weather theme.  Does that theme simply use the TD cloud images instead of defaults?   

Yes, all texture content from the sim is replaced by these REX products.

How can I  get those big puffy cumulonimbus clouds (a/k/a "thunderheads").  I don't believe they exist in TED - Soft Clouds.      

You have to install the Sky Force 3D cloud models. But this system is also heavily reliant on the cloud texture SDK from Sky Force for better rendering.

timest999:

Thank you for the info.

Well, in the interim, I did install SF3D.  I now see that it's a big improvement.  Maybe not so much in Fair Weather daytime, but sunsets, moonlight reflections, etc., are spectacular.    

I had read the "full recap," and also the Manual.  If they answer my questions, I must be slow on the uptake -- or impatient.

You said: "You have to install the Sky Force 3D cloud models. But this system is also heavily reliant on the cloud texture SDK from Sky Force for better rendering." [I wonder how to use that "quote" function.]  OK, I did install them.  Of course, it's kind of hard to tell the difference between 22 separate sets, but my clouds look much better than the old Soft Clouds.  So am I done here?  You say the system is heavily reliant on SDK.  R U saying I have to do something else?

Thanks again,

Mac6737 

Does the same apply to Environment Force? e.g. if you choose your clouds/themes in SF and load them, will EF use those?

On 7/16/2019 at 2:27 PM, Mac6737 said:

timest999:

Thank you for the info.

Well, in the interim, I did install SF3D.  I now see that it's a big improvement.  Maybe not so much in Fair Weather daytime, but sunsets, moonlight reflections, etc., are spectacular.    

I had read the "full recap," and also the Manual.  If they answer my questions, I must be slow on the uptake -- or impatient.

You said: "You have to install the Sky Force 3D cloud models. But this system is also heavily reliant on the cloud texture SDK from Sky Force for better rendering." [I wonder how to use that "quote" function.]  OK, I did install them.  Of course, it's kind of hard to tell the difference between 22 separate sets, but my clouds look much better than the old Soft Clouds.  So am I done here?  You say the system is heavily reliant on SDK.  R U saying I have to do something else?

Thanks again,

Mac6737 

Texture Direct uses the standard "default" cloud modeling system that comes with the simulator.  Sky Force changes that be updating the cloud modeling system with its own.  Though you can use Texture Direct textures with the Sky Force models, they will not look right.  It is best to use the Sky Force models and textures to get the very best result.  The SDK refers to a process on how to create and generate clouds.  The process is the same, but Sky Force expands upon that as Texture Direct stays close to the original SDK.

On 7/18/2019 at 9:31 PM, IanH said:

Does the same apply to Environment Force? e.g. if you choose your clouds/themes in SF and load them, will EF use those?

Clouds and models are used with or without Environment Force. However, in automation mode the auto sync will sync both cloud models and textures automatically.

rstough,

Thank you.  I started this thread with the title "I don't understand relationships," and I can't say I do yet. 

But I thought I had learned that installing the SkyForce cloud models supersedes the SoftClouds ones.  Right?  

I also thought that the TD TEXTURES (e.g., runways) had nothing to do with the clouds.  Right?  

I still don't understand what SDK does, and, with all respect, I found your last 2 sentences challenging.  In any case, I am about to fly away from home IRL for a few weeks, and will return to this thread later, and work further on SDK.

For now, I note that I have been simming since FS2 on an Apple IIc. When I got a PC in or about 1993, I was astounded by FS4 (colors!).  When I first saw FS95 at a Radio Shack, my jaw dropped (2D panel, and you could see the knurls on the knobs!).  So it's almost a quarter-century later, and the attached pic, taken this evening between Bogota and Quito, leaves me astonished.  Can it get better?  I'm not so sure I care -- it's all a question of perspective. 

Mac6737    

En route SEQU 2019-07-20.jpg

• Like 1

The SDK is not really the issue here.  

Sky Force is a different approach to the clouds within the Simulator.  Sky Force had redone the entire cloud model structure to make the clouds more realistic.  Soft Clouds and Texture Direct only changed out textures.  It is the older way of changing the environmental look.