moey124

FIX ITEM black grounds and gray skies

21 minutes ago, RRVyper said:

Does it wait for the prepar3d.exe process to terminate?

Yes, you must wait until the p3d process is terminated fully before closing EF.

21 minutes ago, RRVyper said:

Perhaps I am closing EF too soon?

That is what has been reported by some people, and by awaiting the termination of the p3d exe fully, this has worked.

22 minutes ago, RRVyper said:

If P3D has an APPCRASH on exit, will this affect the clearing of the Shaders folder by EF?

No, because regardless of the crash, the shader cache will still be present. EF will still remove them upon EF exit.

23 minutes ago, RRVyper said:

The reason I ask is that I am troubleshooting exactly that issue (APPCRASH) and I'm fairly convinced that it is an add-on that I am starting manually (Active Sky, Environment Force or Aivlasoft EFBv2, and sometimes Navigraph Charts).

I understand, thanks for letting us know.

1 hour ago, RRVyper said:

Thank you for this information, @timest999 .

Randy

You're welcome Randy ;)

Posted (edited)

@timest999 ,

I just did a couple tests and the Shaders are not getting removed when EF shuts down. The first time, I closed EF a few seconds after the p3d process ended. The second time, I waited 5+ minutes before shutting down EF. The first time I closed EF before closing Active Sky. The second time, I closed Active Sky after a minute or so. Here are some screen captures:

Before starting P3D:

1573176837_BeforeStartingP3D.thumb.jpg.4a3d965daf52d7399e38d70780a058b8.jpg

After P3D process terminated:

1585595974_AfterP3DProcessTerminated.thumb.jpg.811ca989a87928b5f784e45c33456869.jpg

Task Manager:

261164747_TaskManagerNoP3D.thumb.jpg.ac7b0e589e24970f406625dd0cbda899.jpg

There have been no app crashes showing in Event Viewer, either.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Randy

P.S. This is using the default F22 @ KVPS Rwy 19.

Edited by RRVyper
Further info.

Randy, how are you verifying they are not being removed?

Are you navigating to your C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 area and verifying that the SHADERS folder is not present?

3 minutes ago, RRVyper said:

Exactly.

So when everything is done and said, there are shader cache entries in that main SHADERS folder?

Yes. They are only deleted (the folder is deleted) on the next launch of EF.

You are running EF version 5.0.2019.0625?

I just completed another short flight. Same issue. This time I switched to manual mode then back to auto - all options were shown as 'waiting'. But the shaders remain upon closing EF.

Posted (edited)

Actually I am having the same issue as above. Sometimes if I start P3Dv4 a second or third time the problem is gone but usually black ground and gray skies is present unless I use EF .

Edited by Speedbird84

I can concur same, that environment force does not flush shaders on exit, but does on startup of environment force.

No wonder that anytime I do not want to use REX products and use only Active sky I get the Black and Gray textures after loading in simulator.

This is absolutely the cause of Black and Gray textures. I watched EF delete the shaders folder on startup, but on exit the folder stays and all its contents.

3 hours ago, tgiesige said:

I can concur same, that environment force does not flush shaders on exit, but does on startup of environment force.

No wonder that anytime I do not want to use REX products and use only Active sky I get the Black and Gray textures after loading in simulator.

This is absolutely the cause of Black and Gray textures. I watched EF delete the shaders folder on startup, but on exit the folder stays and all its contents.

Very strange, because I watch it deleted on both start and shutdown... go figure :( At any rate, please see my post above in regards to Tier 2.

I just tried that test and it does delete the folder on startup but like the other post the folder is still there on shutdown.

I did send in the Tier2 support request so hopefully that will get the issue figured out.

I just submitted a Tier 2 support ticket.  Thanks for investigating Tim.

This is obviously not a major issue as it is easily fixed, but it's just a little inconvenient when not working as it should, especially when some load times of P3DV4 can be quite long.

• Like 1

Note that a clean re-install of EF v20190625 (deleting REXModules and Documents\REX 5\REX Environment Force) does not result in Shaders being deleted on EF exit.

Randy

Posted (edited)

So, upon further testing, EF will delete the Shaders folder on shutdown only if Manual Mode is in use. In Automatic mode, the Shaders folder remains on shutdown. You don't even need to start P3D to test - just start EF and then create a Shaders folder, then shutdown EF in either case.

Randy

Further info: it also appears that your settings don't get backed up in Auto mode, even though 'Enable Automatic Backup at Closing' is set ON.

Edited by RRVyper
More info.

34 minutes ago, RRVyper said:

So, upon further testing, EF will delete the Shaders folder on shutdown only if Manual Mode is in use. In Automatic mode, the Shaders folder remains on shutdown. You don't even need to start P3D to test - just start EF and then create a Shaders folder, then shutdown EF in either case.

Randy

Further info: it also appears that your settings don't get backed up in Auto mode, even though 'Enable Automatic Backup at Closing' is set ON.

Randy, thank you for your investigation! I have forwarded this to our developers and is marked now as a fix item.

So if i add tomato preset and every time when i close the sim the shaders will be deleted ? Please fix this because this is not good if we have to re add the tomatoshaders every time :S got the same problem,gray sky.

EF removes the shader cache, not the files installed into the ShadersHLSL by Tomatoshade. You do not need to re-apply the tomatoshade profile. But, EF can alter the appearance in the sim by manipulating the shaders dynamically, and swapping textures. And see my post above if you are using EF in auto mode. You will need to delete the Shaders folder (not ShadersHLSL!!!) if not using EF.

already fixed?  I would like to return to using EF

It's fixed in the next release, currently in alpha testing. However, it doesn't prevent the use of EF. Just switch to manual mode prior to closing EF, as a workaround.

Randy

but I want EF to do everything automatically.  I like it. I'm not a fan of manual control😐