DaveR_UK

RESOLVED Environment Force v5.0.2019.0625 infection warning

I'm trying to update Environment Force to v5.0.2019.0625

Process fails with the warning (from Bitdefender Total Security)
The file C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Temp\3yrKSY2U.exe.part is infected with Gen:Variant.Mikey.98735 and was moved to quarantine. It is recommended that you run a System Scan to make sure your system is clean.

Whilst I suspect it's a false alert, could someone from REX confirm that before I go ahead and allow the update to install?
Thanks in advance.

Dave

I have been having the same issue with this update. Bitdefender does not want anything to do with this update to be on my system. Even the download from Simmarket where I purchased the product has issues. Can never extract the exe file to run the update.

To be fair, I feel that Bitdefender can be a little over zealous at times, and it doesn't seem to highlight issues that obviously, with problems like this hidden in the notifications area.
Mine is configured to quarantine risky content, so I guess I could add an exception quite easily. That said, I'd prefer to hear from the REX folks as to whether the alert is false or not, before proceeding.

it is Sunday so you might have to wait until tomorrow, I use Windows defender and that didn't find any issues...all downloaded and updated no problems....

I use Nortons and it hates anything new as well. It relies on community acceptance before it lets it through. Makes it difficult installing any hot fixes etc. 

With Nortons as soon as you unzip any newly released package, that you have downloaded, it deletes any exe file. To overcome this I have done as REX suggested. Create an empty TEMP folder on your desktop. Go into Nortons and exclude it from scans. Turn on Nortons silent mode for an hour. Then download and save the package into that desktop folder. Run the package as Admin from that folder. After you have done that I move the temp folder onto my storage drive and set up a new TEMP folder ready for the next update.

I'd be interested in hearing from REX what the Mikey.98735 virus your detector is reporting. Norton's hasn't found that in later scans.

Aussie

The main reason I'm seeking assurance on this one is because the alert was so specific.

As it happens I've run into another issue (always the way when you manage to find some quality sim time!)
Environment Force is now warning that my validation process has failed. It's never done that before that I recall. Only difference in launching stuff today is that when the prompt to update shows up, I select "cancel" to continue without the update. It seems to behave normally, going to the main Environment Force screen, but as the sim loads up, instead of the Environment Force mini UI box, I just get that warning box, with no settings showing. I don't even know if it's working at all in the sim.

I haven't changed anything since last sim session so it seems quite a coincidence that I've not applied TU2 and now get this warning message.

For completeness, I've posted about the validation issue at
https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/52856-your-validation-process-failed-please-contact-support/

Dave

I received a response on this one a little while ago, confirming my suspicion that this is indeed a false positive detection. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing but when I worked in a technical environment, one of the areas I covered for my company was virus detection. I had already told myself that it was 99% likely to be Bitdefender being over cautious, but with my old hat on, seeing an alert as specific as that urged caution. I'd rather wait a little while to get an all clear from the supplier, than face who knows how long undoing the damage of an infection!

Anyways, I deleted quarantined instances of the download, started afresh, and the update has applied without any obvious issues. Perhaps unsurprisingly the coincidental issue of failed validation has gone away also. Time for a quick flight perhaps ☺️

• Like 1