Deltaair12

CLOSED Horrible FPS

First I would like to start out by listing hardware just so you know what I’m working with. 

-Intel i7-8700K 

-MSI RTX 2070 Duke 8gb

-32gb Corsair Vengeance

-Windows 10 64 bit

-Prepar3D v4.4

Normally in sim I have ASP4 with SF running in the background. With SF I use 1024 textures even though I know my rig can handle more I really don’t see the need for HD textures I can never tell the difference. I also run UT Live and I have high quality ORBX scenery like most folks do. Before EF was released, I would normally see 40-60fps on the tarmac. After departing and while in cruise, my frames would stay at a constant 60fps (not locked, but synced with my monitor refresh rate). They would occasionally drop to 40fps if flying over a populous area like Chicago, or if SF created a monstrous supercell over the plains etc, but other than that it would stay at 60fps. After EF I hate to say but I’ve been having some FPS issues which is not normal for me given my rig swallows everything I throw at it. For example just this afternoon I was at FL410 somewhere over Nevada. I had just passed Las Vegas headed North. There was a medium sized thunderhead to my West and when I panned over my FPS were a cozy 55. Which is normal for my computer. Continuing along, EF had morphed the environment underneath me to project an overcast layer that stretched as far as the eye could see. Now, NORMALLY with just ASP4+SF I would get 35-50fps in this type of situation. But with EF now in the mix I saw a sluggish 17 FPS! That’s the lowest number id ever seen on my computer. So what I did was, close everything down and restart the exact same flight but without EF and even though the weather wasn’t exactly the same it was close enough and my performance was where it should have been. I think EF needs to be tweaked a little because 17fps is a long way off from 35fps which is the lowest my rig would ever slow down to with overcast layers. Somethings not right 🤔...

• Thanks 1

Try to disable: "Enable Dense Cirrus Overcast Layer" on "Cirrus Cloud Control", this was an issue for me and let us know if this help. It might be something else, but worth to try it.

You mention you run 1024 textures in SF. What size textures are set in EF?

Is EF’s miniUI appearing in flight and functioning ok?

46 minutes ago, NTN said:

Try to disable: "Enable Dense Cirrus Overcast Layer" on "Cirrus Cloud Control", this was an issue for me and let us know if this help. It might be something else, but worth to try it.

I just unticked the option as it was in fact enabled. I will see if this makes a difference in flight and report back

20 minutes ago, paj said:

You mention you run 1024 textures in SF. What size textures are set in EF?

Is EF’s miniUI appearing in flight and functioning ok?

In EF I made sure they were the same; 1024. As far as the mini UI, it is performing as advertised, never had an issue with it. I usually keep it minimized and never touch it while simming. 

• Thanks 1

UPDATE: I turned off Dense overcast layer cloud control and reset EF. I am actually still at cruising altitude now. There is a thick overcast layer under me and I’m sitting at 30fps currently which is better than it was before (17fps) but still pretty iffy for my computer. I think something else is going on internally with EF. Sifting through the forums, there has been reports of dramatic loss of frames while using the program. It just sucks because you spend thousands and thousands of dollars building this beefy rig and a $30 weather add-on brings it to its knees. We need a fix for this ASAP! 

UPDATE 2: So my frames at cruise just dipped below 20fps again. Not sure what’s going on...

The best way to test the EF theory is flying in clear weather.

6 hours ago, timest999 said:

The best way to test the EF theory is flying in clear weather.

What? Sorry to say but that sounds kinda silly. These are weather programs so it doesn’t make sense for them to work best under clear skies. That defeats the purpose of purchasing them... if you’re telling me that EF performance should be tested under clear weather with no clouds in sight I might as well just ask for a full refund of the product.

Just now, paj said:

Testing if you have a loss of frames in clear skies as well as in heavy weather will help identify the cause

No loss of frames in clear weather just in overcast conditions. But it’s severe loss of frames with EF on (less than 20fps). That’s unheard of with an 8gb GPU... without EF on I get 45fps....

AA settings? SSAA maybe? with heavy clouds only use MSAA ;)

Here is a screen EF-SF-AS with 2048 cloud , 4SSAA, and 4K (3840x2160) its demanding on GPU and CPU, no problem if you dont overload the GPU jf you bottleneck it the FPS dive even with a 6ghz cpu

I run vsync unlimited in P3D and monitor res in Nvidia CP 30HZ  its like locked 30fps

AT42-SF-EF-AS.png

Edited by westman

I have that problem now too. FPS were no problem in 503 version, didnt see 1 fps less as before. Now with 517 it costs me around 10 to 15 fps with EF on.

In very cloudy conditions EF takes away a lot of fps, compared to only running TS + AS + SF.. 

P3d 4.4

• Thanks 1

IHello, 

I can confirm everything in this thread is true. FPS is garbage as compared to running my game without EF. 

If you don't believe me. Load up a storm system in your preferred weather program. Fly around with EF on you will have abysmal FPS if you aren't running on settings that are optimized for Intel Pentium. 

Then un-install EF, (which you should if you value performance at in its current state) then fly in the same weather system. Your FPS will be so much better even if you value looks over performance you will certainly prefer this. 

As Saenchay stated, this latested build has caused nothing but haywire on my p3d, even more than the last. The FPS is ridiculous as compared to the initial version I installed.

I wish they would release archived versions so I may reinstall and play with EF. It has awesome potential and looks absolutely phenomenal

It’s the cloud size I bet.

Turn off the two options that adjust cloud size in automatic mode. I think both options say in the description that they morph cloud size. 

Go to the mini ui and look for the scale factor on cloud size. In some overcast EF kept pushing it to around .65 and my FPS would nose dive. I could adjust it down to .35 or .40 and everything goes back to normal. 

Also, in Envshade their “High Quality” shaders will increase the overcast cloud size and bring any GPU to its knees. Forever I thought it was Skyforce and it’s overcast but as soon as I switched  Envshade to “high performance” all was normal. 

I point out envshade bc if you are using that and only fix the mini ui you might still have overcast issues.