portanav

RESOLVED I'm NOT Happy with EF's "Automatic" and FOG Mode.

I upgraded yesterday to EF v1.1.0 but don't see any change in the FOG depiction with Fog Mode in OFF and EF in automatic. When I set ASP4 to "Custom Mode" (poor weather), which includes low surface visibility (800m) and overcast cloud, unless I select Fog Mode "OFF" and then recompile the shaders using mini UI nothing happens automatically, and I don't get low surface visibility.

Also, the frame rate is still lower with EF than without EF and just SF. I also find the lighting of the terminal buildings too bright, if I uninstall EF the lighting looks much better and the frames increase by 10% (Locked at 35 FPS).

I'm not really pleased with EF's performance or it's definition of automatic. I can live with the lower FPS, but I don't like having to tinker with the mini UI everytime I manually change ASP4's weather, especially since I don't know what most of the settings in the mini UI do or what they mean, except for one or two.

I am not one to be messing around all the time with settings and looking for the best tweaks; I just like starting up my sim (working at it's best), use either real weather or manually setting one of my weather presets in ASP4 and go flying (like in the real world). That's what I did before with ASP4 and SF; I was happy then, it was what I did in real life before I retired as a pilot, I thought that having the weather (via EF) change on its own added more realism to my flights, but it's not like that at all.

Except for the FOG (low surface vis) in automatic mode EF works great with ASP4 in real weather mode, and that's where I normally have it set. However the low surface visibility is not automatic, and for example when their is FOG at Boston (KBOS) I don't get FOG, since EF will not generate it in MANUAL. I have to set it to OFF and recompile the shaders; that's NOT REAL (or automatic).

I'm not happy, and seriously contemplating uninstalling EF from my system, and going back to just using SF with ASP4.

Sorry guys, I'm not happy.

First things first, you don’t need to recompile shaders to achieve this. 

This seems to be more an automation issue.

Can you post a screenshot of what you are saying about the fog ?

Thanks 

100% my opinion. Automode = Automode on all weatherbased parameters (Lightning, Fog, Haze, Clouds, Rain, etc., with and without HDR usable in Day- and Nighttime flying). That would be REX EF USP in my opinion. I think it is reachable and hope they would listen to us und help us reaching this. That´s why I responsed on this topic to share your/our opinion.

@REX: I/We hope you can add this one to your product backlog and hopefully it get´s high priority and will be selected for one of the next sprints to get developped. Thanks a lot!

Regards Marcus 

• Thanks 1

OK. I'll do what ever I can to get it working.

Marcus - I am all ears. Can you breakdown your suggestions and or requests/issues?

Thanks

Federico

Just my opinion also.

Here's my routine.

Start EF -> Start ASP4 -> Start P3D and load flight -> Toggle 'fog mode' from manual to OFF. This way, ASP4 will exclusively control this parameter. 

Since all my other settings particular to the HDR are already saved. I don't tinker with anything else. Just turn off fog mode and that's it.

I do have to agree though that the terminal buildings do look way too bright when illuminated by taxi lights.

I need to see this, can I access your PC via Teamviewer? Thanks, Federico

Hi Federico,

Sure. I am currently en-route now though. Would it help if I PM you the way the terminal building looks when I land later?

We can schedule TeamViewer. I am on GMT+8 timezone and usually on sim by 2300z~0500z. Let me know when.

Perfect, PM when you are online. thanks

@Fedrico: In this case it´s the fog:

As a user I would like to have a realweatherbased foglayer, which in automode will be smooth injected/created and also influences and changes the lightning of my scenery and atmosphere without any further userintervention needed. I will expect, that every x (5 or 10) minutes REX EF automode reads the weather data, based on the geographical location of flying, and adjusts the foglayer (again smooth). This should also let the foglayer disappear smooth in case the realworldweahterdata doesn´t report any fog circumstances. 

Smooth= Transition time in Minutes in case of fog changes

Nice to have: As a User I would like to use "historical weather data  (like Active sky), which can also be used/read bei REX EF to create the Environment based on historical weather data.

Is this what you search for?

Best regards, Marcus

The fog in auto mode is something we are looking as a first priority. We will be releasing some tweaks fixes in next builds.

The other suggestions we will consider as well.

Thanks 

Federico

One remark here - as discussed previously with @portanav fog is essentially a low level cloud. So it should limit visibility when you are inside, like AS does.

BUT if you climb out of it, visibility should be readjusted again - all machinery is there in EF, problem could be just with getting good data for fog tops.

• Like 1

Fog is a low level cloud? I guess not if one is using volumetric fog. Or you mean the fog from EF?

I mean real life fog.

Posted (edited)

@fs1Hi Federico, this is TTPP with the EF FOG "off" after recompile shaders and ASP4 in custom weather mode.ef1.thumb.png.341d6b036f8901e5a3776bf07b20c5a6.png

This is TTPP before recompile shaders, low cloud rather than fog.ef3.thumb.png.f99f5273fb5d10d89a4e7f1fd845d80a.pngef2.png.ee363a32ac3f3dc6f953bd8ef0aec20f.png

This is CYHZ with ASP4 in real weather mode - FOGGY and EF FOG "off". It works automatically without recompile ...when ASP4 is in real weather mode, but not custom weather mode.ef4.thumb.png.db517c887e1b641f101e8cc146fbca0d.png

ef5.thumb.png.34809f407631d4b07646c584a6a65425.png

Thanks,

Michael.

Edited by portanav

On 5/20/2019 at 10:25 AM, SaenchaySor said:

Fog is a low level cloud?

Extracted from:

FAA "Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge - FAA-H-8083-25B 

Fog - Fog is a cloud that is on the surface.

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF COMMERCE/ National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration  - "FEDERAL METEOROLOGICAL HANDBOOK No. 1"

Cloud - A visible aggregate of minute water droplets or ice particles in the atmosphere above the Earth's
surface.

Fog - A visible aggregate of minute water particles (droplets) which are based at the Earth's surface and
reduce horizontal visibility to less than 5/8 statute mile and, unlike drizzle, it does not fall to the ground.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Spot on Michael!

And haze is something different to either fog or clouds. Haze is caused by dry atmospheric particles (not water droplets like clouds and fog) which cause the sky to have a milky/opalescent appearance.

See for example "What is the difference between mist, fog and haze" by the UK meteorological office.

If EFs "fog mode" is set to its default "manual" value then very little (f any?) haze is displayed. Conversely if "fog mode is off" there is lots of haze displayed (maybe a little too much?).

Edited by paj
  • Like 2

I will ask @rstough to revise this. I will let you know. Thanks 

Im talking about flightsim, thanks 🙂 know the difference of fog and haze, the question was if fog in p3d is done by a cloud texture. THats how it sounded

Posted (edited)

Hello @portanav

I'm looking at the fog issues. Here is my scenario. Airport PADL. 5:33PM UTC. Metar: PADL 241709Z 13004KT 1/2SM FG VV002 05/05 A3025 RMK AO2

image.thumb.png.f27c04b9a22e3a4d0394a2307be4265a.png

EF settings - weather is pushed to sim by Active Sky and retrieved by EF from there (real-time data read disabled)

image.thumb.png.b9184d18ddbfa8a431e62a90894d12ad.png

My scene from the sim at ground level -fog mode in Mini-UI changes to Auto (driven by EF Automation Mode). Threshold (300m) is clearly visible from here, 805 meters indicated by metar:

Untitled2.thumb.jpg.ed6ebefb08b0f93f03a11c36204e19c3.jpg

Now I'm above fog/cloud layer at 5000ft:

image.thumb.png.905647c3f046bf2002d48bb3d4370a13.png

Runway threshold from 500ft (400ft above runway, 200ft vertical visibility indicated)

image.thumb.png.3048a4fcd999375c50423932ebdacb18.png

Does this look ok for you? Based on your experience, should EF set Fog Top at the base of lowest cloud base? (200ft here)

To explain fog parameters in Mini UI a little bit more:

Fog Density - it is the visibility distance given in meters if volumetric fog is present

Fog Base - self explanatory (meters)

Fog Top - top of the fog, again in meters

Cloud Visibility - global Visibility limiter, also given in meters, if fog is present, this usually needs to be paired with Fog Top/Density. This is more like a haze effect. If you set only Fog Top, it will give you scene of the endless white ocean, which is quite unrealistic in foggy conditions.

Edited by Jarek

Is your Fog Mode set to Auto or Manual? (2nd option in Bind Menu on top)

Auto..

Ok when Manual Mode  it is in the Mini UI. Sorry. is it better to set Manual ?

Today in EDDM on ground i have a clear sky with less clouds. Afer takeoff  a lot off clouds are coming in the sky.This is not working good for me.

I fly in Auto Mode.

Posted (edited)

With Auto mode it needs to be in Auto.

Well, today RWYs 8R/L are active and Munich reports Clear sky now, but EDME which is near reports FEW050 FEW090... What is your SID?

Edited by Jarek