Looking assiduously at the forum, I read about many people complaining about problems of a very different nature. The thing that I regret most, even not being part of it (REX) is to blame either Environment Force, or Sky Force.
Notwithstanding that each of us does not have the legendary 486 or a Commodore 64 to run P3D, I would like to give you some tips to run P3D in a decent way. Who wants to try these tweaks MUST backup the files that they are going to change ... Let's get started

- it is good, if not EXCELLENT, to delete from time to time (so before starting P3D) the folders and files contained in the folder C:\Users\YOUR NAME\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4
This folder contains the P3D cache, if we delete it, we'll do nothing but free it and set it to 0. Especially when we install the programs that go to rewrite the SHADERS in the main P3D folder

- Tweaks PREPAR3D.CFG: it's been a while since you make more or less good changes to this file (do BACKUP first!). The essentials are:
[JobScheduler]
AffinityMask = 85
[DISPLAY]
TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT = 1024
[MAIN]
FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION = 0.01
[TERRAIN]
SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT = 30
Some of these strings are not there and need to be added, others just need to be changed

- Cloud quality: it is preferable to set them to 512 DTX5 both (Cirri and Cumuli). Many of you have 4096! it is a lot, but I assure you that the quality at 512 is excellent, even if they are less defined. With time, you won't even notice it.
If anyone has other Tweaks to propose, they can easily correct me or write in this post. As for me, if I can think of anything else, I'll be ready to give you a little hand

With 60/60 FPS

Cc5AnRo.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great post. Thank you for taking the time.

• Thanks 1

Ehhhh I wouldn’t put Job Scheduler on there. Everyone’s computer is different. Messing with that could give someone issues. 85 might work for you but probably won’t work for others depending on your CPU. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Deltaair12 said:

Ehhhh I wouldn’t put Job Scheduler on there. Everyone’s computer is different. Messing with that could give someone issues. 85 might work for you but probably won’t work for others depending on your CPU. 

Or 15 or 85... depending... 

1 minute ago, ciccio74 said:

Or 15 or 85... depending... 

Not even. For my CPU it was 1024. Like I said each computer is completely different. You need to figure out your binary code and make it into an actual useful number. It’s just a bunch on ones and zeros. But if 85 works in your favor that’s great. But your binary code isn’t going to work on someone else’s PC. 

34 minutes ago, Deltaair12 said:

Not even. For my CPU it was 1024. Like I said each computer is completely different. You need to figure out your binary code and make it into an actual useful number. It’s just a bunch on ones and zeros. But if 85 works in your favor that’s great. But your binary code isn’t going to work on someone else’s PC. 

383/5000

is a general indication and concerns most of the PCs in circulation. If you fail to put that parameter, certainly the PC does not explode or anything. Nor does it degrade performance. in any case here there is a post that explains everything with the annexed program to calculate the Affinity Mask (done for those who are afraid of a possible explosion)

I hope you are happy now;)

Posted (edited)

These tips are surley made in good intention. But they are very very (i mean very) special.... Usually i dont like doing posts that are against others good intentions but i still will post this, hope you get it into the wrong throat.

It starts with the Affinity Mask, what you gave there is for a small percentage of ppl, for the rest it does more harm than good. How would the inexperienced person know wich one is good for him? My advice is: Dont use them.,,, if one isnt knowing what he does. It depends on so many factors that its impossible to find one that works for everyone. Everyone is using different CPUs and for each of them different rules apply. Everyone is using more or less apps same time and again it will be a fully different outcome.

Those calculators may help you to decide on one AM, still the outcome of it is again different on every system.

Just example, yesterday i made this pic. Its a small aiport but still, this sim is completely untweaked (in performance regards). Thats 77 fps for ppl who dont want to open the pic. I posted quite a few "fps pics" in the other topic already so i dont do that again. Smoothness and fps can in most cases be done without any tweaks. Dont turn sliders to max, thats the whole secret. And exactly this is what makes the sim looking good because P3D isnt like games, where one puts a slider to the right and automatically gets better visuals for loss of performance.

In P3D its more often than not the case that lower settings bring more beauty as highers, more crisp terrain, more autogen and anyway more pure fps. Because only now all that is intended to render will get displayed. Too high settings causes the CPU to stumble more than working what causes all those problems.
Anyway  pure fps are not that important when one has his monitor refreshrate in sync with the sim, or in 1/2 steps etc, what can be reached with tools like Rivatuner. Then suddenly 30 fps feel fully smooth on a 60hz monitor when 45 to 50 would cause microstutters.

unknown.png

Then FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION = 0.01 is the cause of hundreds of entries in forums around the internet writing about blurry terrain. Do this in an FSLabs or Captainsim and you end up with no autogen and full blurries after a flights of some hours. It gives the CPU near to no time to calculate things/load scenery. What causes very easily immense problems on more demanding planes/scenery. It may give fps but makes all details gone.

Im not saying there is noone who could benefit of those settings but im pretty sure its a small percentage of users.

Edited by SaenchaySor

1 hour ago, SaenchaySor said:

These tips are surley made in good intention. But they are very very (i mean very) special.... Usually i dont like doing posts that are against others good intentions but i still will post this, hope you get it into the wrong throat.

It starts with the Affinity Mask, what you gave there is for a small percentage of ppl, for the rest it does more harm than good. How would the inexperienced person know wich one is good for him? My advice is: Dont use them.,,, if one isnt knowing what he does. It depends on so many factors that its impossible to find one that works for everyone. Everyone is using different CPUs and for each of them different rules apply. Everyone is using more or less apps same time and again it will be a fully different outcome.

Those calculators may help you to decide on one AM, still the outcome of it is again different on every system.

Just example, yesterday i made this pic. Its a small aiport but still, this sim is completely untweaked (in performance regards). Thats 77 fps for ppl who dont want to open the pic. I posted quite a few "fps pics" in the other topic already so i dont do that again. Smoothness and fps can in most cases be done without any tweaks. Dont turn sliders to max, thats the whole secret. And exactly this is what makes the sim looking good because P3D isnt like games, where one puts a slider to the right and automatically gets better visuals for loss of performance.

In P3D its more often than not the case that lower settings bring more beauty as highers, more crisp terrain, more autogen and anyway more pure fps. Because only now all that is intended to render will get displayed. Too high settings causes the CPU to stumble more than working what causes all those problems.
Anyway  pure fps are not that important when one has his monitor refreshrate in sync with the sim, or in 1/2 steps etc, what can be reached with tools like Rivatuner. Then suddenly 30 fps feel fully smooth on a 60hz monitor when 45 to 50 would cause microstutters.

unknown.png

Then FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION = 0.01 is the cause of hundreds of entries in forums around the internet writing about blurry terrain. Do this in an FSLabs or Captainsim and you end up with no autogen and full blurries after a flights of some hours. It gives the CPU near to no time to calculate things/load scenery. What causes very easily immense problems on more demanding planes/scenery. It may give fps but makes all details gone.

Im not saying there is noone who could benefit of those settings but im pretty sure its a small percentage of users.

Yup. That’s what I was trying to get at. Thank you sir.