ciccio74

CLOSED Fog in Manual Mode or OFF?

Hi guys,
I send you 2 shoots to ask you a question based on your experiences at the simulation level. In the first photo the fog is set to MANUAL (in the GUI is the top option), in the second photo it is set to OFF ... according to you what is the most realistic option ... the current weather provided by Active Sky is the following:
  @POS 061232Z 25912KT 225V300 9999 -RA SCT050 10/02 Q1017

AdfkIm9.jpg

7JpHL6Z.jpg

Thank you so much

On the first picture, fog is disabled, because it is unlocked for manual tweaking and base is set at -400 and top at 0, so this is "underground" fog in this hilly terrain. With off, EF should quit from controlling this effect.

It is quite rare to see such clear skies in light rain like on the first picture.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is it with off controlling by the Weather Engine ?

Thanks

Frank

Edited by f.skywalker

Posted (edited)

Default weather scenario - Fogged In. EF in Manual mode. Fog Mode is OFF, Weather Engine has authority to control fog parameters:

fogged_in.thumb.jpg.eb0ae25e62812300323ab772e2cb2033.jpgo

The same scene, Fog Mode = Manual, EF takes over control. Fog top raised to 50 feet and made very dense (smaller number = higher density)

fogger_ef.thumb.jpg.f62ce97375714aa5a3105b07c7fe7135.jpg

Edited by Jarek

Hi and thanks for your shoots,
in the second there is no real weather activ and therefore the fog you manage with the P3D weather. You have to see if with Active Sky running, where there is fog, he reproduces it as the second photo. At that point it can be something real and fantastic. In the OFF mode, however, everything is more realistic

Here you go. ASP4 controls Weather in sim. Visibility reduced to 3 statue miles:fog_as.thumb.jpg.13d0db6d323004e305ae280455cd6bcb.jpg

• Like 1

The TOP would be so ... note the color values of the fog that tend to gray ... how beautiful !!!

Pdv3KXz.jpg

7EWt0RM.jpg

Ok Jarek ... so with AS open you are in OFF mode with the fog ... if you put Manual mode, I think it has no AS effect and that the fog should handle it ... really pity ...
However for the parameters Fog, AS you can set it as you like (mine actually is on 7 Nm)

I don't mind it anyway

TEx2Qvq.jpg

Posted (edited)

So bottom line is, we have to enable weather smoothing (or Fog Mode Off) with AS? I've put custom weather in AS with visibility 3 SM. The first pic is with disabled weather smoothing (Fog Mode is Manual), second pic is with enabled weather smoothing (Fog Mode Off). Second pic is clearly more realistic for visibility od 3 SM.

Screenshot_1.jpg

Screenshot_2.jpg

Edited by p4pe
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

If you could show me how to set fog parameters in AS - I mean base, top and thickness...

Guys you need to understand one thing - METAR in FSX/P3D is quite far from ICAO METAR and in addition, now it must be assisted by external data sources to set all parameters that are now available in EF.

Yes, it must be in off or auto (when smoothing is enabled).

Edited by Jarek
  • Like 1

Jarek

just to confirm you are only running AS + EF, nothing else?

I'm using SkyForce clouds, AS and EF. SF is closed, only AS and EF running.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jarek said:

If you could show me how to set fog parameters in AS - I mean base, top and thickness...

Guys you need to understand one thing - METAR in FSX is quite far from ICAO METAR and in addition, now it must be assisted by external data sources to set all parameters that are now available in EF.

Yes, it must be in off or auto (when smoothing is enabled).

I don't know how to set fog parameters. I've only set visibility distance. :)

8 minutes ago, alpha117 said:

Do you have ASCA not running?

I don't run ASCA.

I can't figure out the fog thing. My sliders don't reflect any change on the mini screen. I only use skyforce for weather so what settings should I use. I am attaching a screenshot which shows fog but it doesn't look very realistic so I know something is not correct.

2019-5-7_23-57-53-684.jpg

23 hours ago, secondtime said:

I can't figure out the fog thing. My sliders don't reflect any change on the mini screen. I only use skyforce for weather so what settings should I use. I am attaching a screenshot which shows fog but it doesn't look very realistic so I know something is not correct.

Were you running EF with that screenshot? I don't see the EF menu as being active. Also, something is amuck with the shaders it seems. Maybe reset your shaders to default and try things again?

Posted (edited)
On 5/6/2019 at 12:26 PM, Jarek said:

Default weather scenario - Fogged In. EF in Manual mode. Fog Mode is OFF, Weather Engine has authority to control fog parameters:

fogged_in.thumb.jpg.eb0ae25e62812300323ab772e2cb2033.jpgo

The same scene, Fog Mode = Manual, EF takes over control. Fog top raised to 50 feet and made very dense (smaller number = higher density)

fogger_ef.thumb.jpg.f62ce97375714aa5a3105b07c7fe7135.jpg

Jarek, In reference to the lower scene technically that's not FOG, it's LOW Cloud. The definition of FOG is cloud at/on surface level.

Extracted from Sky Library:

"Description
Mist and Fog are the terms used to describe low visibility caused by water droplets suspended in the air. Mist is a term used to describe visibility of greater than 1 km while Fog is the term used when visibility is less than 1 km.
Fog is effectively surface cloud
and has a significant impact on the conduct of flying operations, particularly landing and take-off.
There are many different types of fog defined according to how they are formed."

If I set Surface Visibility to 800m (in Active Sky), that's FOG and not low cloud as per EF.

Before I retired I remember on occasions going into London Heathrow and Kennedy rwy04 in the early morning, flying in clear skies above and descending to the runway to enter fog at 200 feet or lower. It's a unique experience and a potentially dangerous one for the unexpected pilot.

If it is at all possible REX should try to fix this.

Edited by portanav
  • Like 1