Crabby

RESOLVED Texture Resolution EF AUTO MODE

First I want to commend REX for EF and the hard work they are doing to make sanity out of the board here.

When running AUTO MODE on EF, what determines the resolution of the textures that are used?  I know that if you are in manual mode you can select this resolution, but how does it work in AUTO mode?

Is there any way to change the texture resolution that is used by EF when operating in Auto Mode?

Selection in Settings -> Textures affects both - auto and manual mode.

So since I have to enter manual mode to get to the textures settings, this questions morphs into the following:

What other parameters can be set in manual mode and held while operating in Auto Mode?

This application is split in two parts:

1. General Settings and Manual Mode.

2. Auto Mode.

Any option you set in general settings will apply to both modes. Is this causing any issue?

It doesnt cause issues, its just confusing for ppl who think a bit further, as you can see with the same question pop up many times 🙂

Posted (edited)

It is necessary on the automatic mode page to make an entry to the options))

Edited by BMW969
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, BMW969 said:

It is necessary on the automatic mode page to make an entry to the options))

12 hours ago, Jarek said:

This application is split in two parts:

1. General Settings and Manual Mode.

2. Auto Mode.

Any option you set in general settings will apply to both modes. Is this causing any issue?

Yes, it is confusing many issues.  As you can tell from BMW969s question above that there is still confusion.  Also your answer can be confusing to someone who just got the product today.  You say there are two parts to the application, then list THREE, even though you put two of them on one line. This is the cruxt of the issue.

If General Settings controls the operation of both operating modes (manual AND automatic), then logically it should be accessible from both modes.  You should not have to switch from one mode to another to make settings changes.  In fact, the way the interface is laid out, it appears that the only setting used in AUTO mode is the act of selecting Automode, with the obvious exceptions of the sliders present on that screen, none of which have to do with texture resolution.  

In fact note on Page 16 of the manual under Automation Mode:

"The elements that are controlled by Automation Mode are: Clouds, Visibility, Water, Lighting, and Textures. IMPORTANT NOTE: Please do not manually adjust any cloud parameters while in automation mode."

Notice that Textures are listed as CONTOLLED by Automation Mode.  Controlled means controlled to me.  Notice also that we are warned in big, bold, RED letters to not adjust any cloud paremeters in automation mode.  Now is cloud textures a cloud paremeter?  I don't know, it could be. 

How can this cause problems?  Let's say you have a lower end system and the program defaults to 4096 textures.  You buy the software and load up all giddy to enjoy a flight with your new ennvironment only to be shocked, dismayed and pissed off about your new frame rates and jittering.  You are running automode and can't see where to change the textures.  The manual tells you basically NOT to change cloud parameters.  So you jump to a forum of you choice and tell everyone how bad EF sucks.  Or, you have a very high end system and the textures are defaulted to 512 and now you jump on a forum to complain about the sucky appearance of textures and how EF has ruined all the fun of SF.  Or somewhere in between.  

If the issue is clear to the developers and beta team, that is GREAT.  However that does not help the vast majority of people.  Compile that with forcibly making statements like the number of parts to the application, then having the statement actually not be logically correct and asking a condensending question, only serves to piss people off.  

Now to finish the point. EF starts with a choice.  I don't want to Tweak or I love to Tweak.  Then come to find out that if you dont' want to tweak you have to go tweak to make basic changes to the I don't want to tweak mode.  However the manual does not meantion that and seems to say that if you are on automode, teaking cloud parameters, including textures, is highly frowned upon. See the confusion?

• Like 3

That's a good feedback actually! The logic behind current design was that you set up everything in manual mode and once it is done, then you just keep opening this app in auto mode. However, I got used to the current version of the interface, so I need to stay away from making any judgements here.

Let the app owners comment on this if it can be improved in the next version.

Want to keep these inquiries fresh, as we have yet to receive the clarification as to how Auto mode works.   I flew from KBOS to KLAS and did not see any texture change in Auto mode.  But when I switched to Manual for Tahoe...Vwa-Lah !!!  

Whatever is sent in the manual mode texture settings will be used within the Automation mode.  However, this is not like in Texture Direct or even Sky Force where you have a log to track what has been moved in and out.  This is all happening via memory writes/reads.  We will provide a log file in a future update as well as the ability to control this more.  

One of the original features was to allow the user to set up a texture queue system for the automation to use, but we turned this off because we ran out of time.  This will be coming in a future update.