Just bought EF this evening and did a test flight which lasted about two hours or so. I’ll be honest... I’m not entirely that impressed with this program. I have it paired with AS+SF as most others do. The first thing that bothered me was just how fast the cloud morphing changes. I thought this program would slow down the formation of clouds giving them a realistic build up and dissipation speed. Because let’s be honest, clouds in real life don’t build up or dissipate in seconds, it usually takes about a good 8-10 minutes for a nice size cloud to really get some girth. Anyways, In my sim the clouds were forming in less than 5 seconds! It was smooth I will admit that much but come on now, that’s not even how it happens in real life. While I was on approach into my destination I had a nice thick broken layer that was over my head and it really did look good for about 5 minutes but within a snap of a finger (not even exaggerating) the whole layer just lifted and I was left with clear skies. At that point I stopped the flight and just shut the computer down in frustration of not knowing what this program ACTUALLY does. I read the manual and it all seems okay on paper but in the sim it’s like not even what was being advertised 🤷🏽‍♂️

Cloud morphing DOES NOT happen with AS installed. Only with SF Clouds chosen.

You've added an additional engine that is affecting results, I suspect... and please stop assuming others were dumb enough to install AS into P3D.

ASP4 is the product for P3Dv4.5. 

I have everything working with a clean installation of EF on top of a virgin installation of SF. No errors in the morphing department; no rushed formation of cloud layers, no snap-of-the-finger changes to weather.

Set "enable weather smoothing" to "ON" and see what happened now. I have ASP4 and had disabled this . There was no cloud morphing to see. Today I changed it to "ON". Make a test with a local weather change and............ smoooooth change now.

Well that’s the thing. I have it on. And I do get smooth transitions but it happens within seconds even though I have it set to the max of 10 minutes 

Thanks for the feedback. Are you using manual mode or automation mode ?  The automation mode does change the clouds through time.

The program does what it says. You can always change the timers on dissipation but we need to know what mode are you.Thanks

Federixo

Yes I am in auto mode and I have it set to 10 minutes. Still getting cloud forming/dissipation in seconds. Actually just saw a cloud pop as I typed this at cruising altitude 

Though I am using ASP4 so per the instructions, I turned the weather smoothing option to off. So I’m not sure if it’s suppose to be on or off because half of the people in the forums say on, the other half say off, and still no clear answer from the devs on this matter. 

*UPDATE* 

So it appears that even if you have AS as your weather engine, you still need to have weather smoothing enabled in EF. I had it disabled for this flight I’m doing and clouds were popping all over the place. I am definitely not impressed with this program, it seems as though I had better cloud formation/dissipation with just AS+SF. EF makes it so much worse. I guess I’ll just disable the program until some type of patch is created. It’s a shame I can’t get my money back...

Why REX say we should dissable weather smoothing when whe run ASP4?? When I dissable I have no cloud morphing. With "ON" I have cloud morphing.

I dunno. But I was reading another post on the matter and literally one of the devs didn’t even know himself. So it seems as though the folks who actually made the program have no clue as to why we would disable smoothing. Isn’t that literally the whole reason for purchasing this program?? 

@Deltaair12 there are only 2 developers in this program. One is me, so please let me know what are you referring to?

Generally speaking AS4 and EF will work just fine. You may disable AS4 if you are using SF, but there is no rule here.

EF does not inject weather, so is compatible with all WX engines.

That’s not the issue. The issue is, I am getting horrible cloud popping and no smooth weather transitions. The weather smoothing option states that If using AS, the EF smoothing option must be turned off which I followed. But if it’s off EF does not work. But you can’t have the option on if using AS. 

You see this popping with AS4 and EF? or just EF?

With ASP4+EF with smoothing option OFF as per instructions. 

See what happens if you turn it ON and report back.

Thanks

Federico

I did when I first downloaded the program and when smoothing is enabled within EF you do get smooth transitions but they happen too fast. I had the option set at 10 minutes, but I still had weather smoothly transitioning in less than 5 seconds. So if it’s disabled you get cloud popping, and when it’s enabled the weather changes too fast. 

Ok, we will revise these timers and let you know. Will that suffice your problem? Thanks, Federico

I guess but if you guys are needing to adjust some timers on your end does this mean the slider you provided is not working properly? 

Well, there are sensitivities and we need to look at this once again to see that they are really fine tuned.

Okay. So just as a final statement so that others with ASP4 can be perfectly clear and everyone on the same page, as to my understanding, in order to have smooth weather transitions while using EF, the smoothing option within the EF program does need to be on even if using AS, right? 

Where in  EF is the transition option 10 minutes?

I would also like to have a clear yes or no answer from the devs on this. It seems this question pops up in various threads around but never gets a clear answer from the developer...

So I just got done flying with he smoothing feature on and it is working as intended even though I am running AS as well. Soooo my best guess would be that everyone who has EF should have this feature on no matter the weather engine. 

Posted (edited)

Try turning it on and off while looking at the clouds.

See for yourself the effect.

I like when turned on. Clouds become more voluminous and richer.

The FPS is not affected.

A matter of taste

Edited by BMW969

Posted (edited)

I also had the same problem as Deltaair12.

I can confirm on my side that with EF smoothing enabled, it has improved my visibilty layer as per AS settings and cloud popping has stopped.

I tried to stick with the "Smoothing off" scenario, and it just was not working at all.

Top picture shows smoothing on, yes looks a bit washed but experimenting with the vis layers

2019-5-6_11-30-53-349.jpg

2019-5-6_11-31-40-33.jpg

Edited by steveellis
Settings

Posted (edited)

I have this occasional almost instantaneous appearance of some clouds as well. It’s usually just the odd cloud here or there amongst the original cloud vista. Using EF and SF only. I also have flights where a full cloud panorama will suddenly clear to blue sky, and then slowly build to something else entirely. 

Edited by Britjet1