willtearne02

CLOSED High CPU usage while using Environment Force

Hello all,

Before installing Environment Force, my frames were completely fine. 40+ fps in all situations at all locations. Ever since installing Environment Force, the CPU load has increased significantly, with the frames dropping as a result. The interesting thing is that these frames drop only at 10000ft plus. Frames completely fine below 10000ft. Is there a solution for this, because it's annoying me a bit now how I spent £1700 on a computer which can't even run a shader programme at 30fps plus (yesterday when I ran the sim without Environment Force i got 60+ fps in cruise). Is there a way to pinpoint the cause of the high cpu load that EF causes?

Will.

Hi Will, 

This is very odd. Especially with it being over 10000ft. 

What other software do you have running? Also, which other shader mods are running as well?

Posted (edited)

are you 100% sure that this is the difference between EF on and not on?

I ask because i have the exact same behavior ( higher cpu load from around 10k) and i dont even have EF installed...

You have to test this at the exact same place, with exact same route, with same plane at exact same time/weather on the exact same route. Certain P3D settings can easily cause this too and if you test this one time at lets say an openLC regin and next time over an ORBX regional region like South California the outcome will be quite different.

If you have high terrain LOD and other terrain/scenery settings you can easily max any CPU on market if you fly planes like FSlabs, PMDG, CS757 and such things. At least in regional orbx areas.

Edited by SaenchaySor

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, timest999 said:

Hi Will, 

This is very odd. Especially with it being over 10000ft. 

What other software do you have running? Also, which other shader mods are running as well?

Hi,

Other software are: Active Sky, ProjectFLY, BAv Merlin (on BAv flights obviously), sometimes google chrome, but I checked and this does not take up much CPU load at all within Task Manager. Also, TomatoShade is used, but only for reflections on the aircraft and nothing else. EF has been updated to latest build.

I do fly the FSLabs but it ran fine before installing Environment Force and as I said, below 10000ft I get 40+ fps in all situations (just flew into EGLL and it was smooth as you like) but above 10000ft my fps was down to 5-10fps. The weather conditions were overcast and it was at dusk, but before even this scenario ran perfectly fine. I have a feeling I have put my settings too high. I have also recently installed Open LC Europe, but flying around Europe without EF being activated results in no FPS drop or problems whatsoever so that's leading me to believe that it is EF and not other software. 

Specs:

i5 9600k OC 4.8GHz, RTX2070, 1TB SSD (dedicated to sim), 16GB RAM (54% was taken while at cruise).

Edited by willtearne02

Google chrome is A HUGE resource hog.  I would strongly recommend that you don't have any outside apps - not related to the sim - running if possible.

Also, understand you are running an i5.  This could be an issue too in the long term with all the high-end add-ons running. You may be beginning to max things out.

6 hours ago, rstough said:

Google chrome is A HUGE resource hog.  I would strongly recommend that you don't have any outside apps - not related to the sim - running if possible.

Also, understand you are running an i5.  This could be an issue too in the long term with all the high-end add-ons running. You may be beginning to max things out.

The i5 9600k, has 6 cores and I’ve overclocked it to 4.8GHz. How can you explain my sim running perfectly before I installed Environments force with the same hardware? Also, I shut down Google Chrome and it did not make a difference in frames.

Will.

Hi Will, 

Can you send me your TS preset you are using during tests? Also, have you tried yet with default shaders?

This is interesting because when I first started running EF, my computer started running really warm. Before it was super quiet but with EF my fans are really loud. I run an i7-8700K with a RTX 2070 and 32 gigs RAM. So I have a pretty powerful system. I usually get 60+FPS at cruise and 30+on the ground with ORBX add-ons and AS for weather. After EF my frames sometimes drop to 30fps at cruise which on anyone else’s system is really great performance but with my system it’s a 50% drop. 

1 hour ago, Deltaair12 said:

This is interesting because when I first started running EF, my computer started running really warm. Before it was super quiet but with EF my fans are really loud. I run an i7-8700K with a RTX 2070 and 32 gigs RAM. So I have a pretty powerful system. I usually get 60+FPS at cruise and 30+on the ground with ORBX add-ons and AS for weather. After EF my frames sometimes drop to 30fps at cruise which on anyone else’s system is really great performance but with my system it’s a 50% drop. 

Interesting, yes. Considering I can run all features of EF and lose .1 FPS (not even 1 FPS).

Initially I too lost fps with EV installed...

I checked "Enable Dense Cirrus Overcast Layer" was off... it was. In my case the cause turned out to be cloud textures of a higher resolution being used. I reduced these down inside EV and my frames were back.

• Like 1

I am just checking in to see if the issue you are experiencing has been resolved?

On 5/9/2019 at 3:23 AM, timest999 said:

Hi Will, 

Can you send me your TS preset you are using during tests? Also, have you tried yet with default shaders?

Sorry for the late response, and the only TS shader profile I'm using is Chris Osbakk's which only has reflections turned on and nothing else. I have not tried with default shaders. Also, I did a flight yesterday - all fine. Started up my sim today, tried to do a flight - high cpu usage, low frames (both flights with EF running). Both cloud texture options are 2048x2048 - HD option which should be easy to render for my RTX 2070 and i5 9600k. Anymore ideas?

Will.

Posted (edited)

I'd suggest quickly trying 512 textures in the same scenario to see if there is a difference and to rule that out as the problem.

Edited by paj

When FPS issues occur, be on the lookout as to what kind of weather is in view of the camera. It goes without saying, the more dense the weather scenario, the more dense the GPU call for textures. Now if this was in clear weather I would be alarmed. 

30 minutes ago, timest999 said:

When FPS issues occur, be on the lookout as to what kind of weather is in view of the camera. It goes without saying, the more dense the weather scenario, the more dense the GPU call for textures. Now if this was in clear weather I would be alarmed. 

It was in relatively cloudy whether (broken conditions). However, without EF this scenario would've normally been perfectly flyable - 60+fps with my sim, but with EF it goes down to 15-20fps.

Will, 

In automatic mode?

Please post a screenshot of the auto mode window from EF.

Thank you.

I am just checking in to see if the issue you are experiencing has been resolved?