EDLW

RESOLVED Severe performance issue

Hello,

to get straight to the point - I lose 16 FPS with EF running. I put myself at KMSY (LVFR) for my first flight with EF after testing for a bit. Using ASP4 for real world weather, there was a thunderstorm above the field. Without EF in the same scenario, I get smooth and steady 30 FPS (with Texture Direct clouds, 1024). With EF running, however, my frame rate drops down to only 14 giving me a slide show.

I am running an i7 6700k (4 GHz), 1080ti with P3D v4.4 and reasonable settings. I am also still using PTA together with EF for cockpit lighting enhancement. Nothing other than the VC is tweaked with PTA. Hotfix is installed. Textures within EF are set to 512 and DXT5. Running in automation mode.

During testing I found I generally lose FPS even with fewer clouds.

Thank you.

Same Problem Here. Framerate drops considerably with EF running by about 50%

3 hours ago, EDLW said:

Hello,

to get straight to the point - I lose 16 FPS with EF running. I put myself at KMSY (LVFR) for my first flight with EF after testing for a bit. Using ASP4 for real world weather, there was a thunderstorm above the field. Without EF in the same scenario, I get smooth and steady 30 FPS (with Texture Direct clouds, 1024). With EF running, however, my frame rate drops down to only 14 giving me a slide show.

I am running an i7 6700k (4 GHz), 1080ti with P3D v4.4 and reasonable settings. I am also still using PTA together with EF for cockpit lighting enhancement. Nothing other than the VC is tweaked with PTA. Hotfix is installed. Textures within EF are set to 512 and DXT5. Running in automation mode.

During testing I found I generally lose FPS even with fewer clouds.

Thank you.

Can you test this with manual mode? And report back?

Thanks

Federico

Having the Dense Cirrus Overcast Layer option unchecked seems to have fixed the problem for me. I didnt realize it was enabled so I disabled it restarted EF and the sim and my framerate almost doubled. 

Maybe that's your problem as well.

I also have to have the Manual lighting option enabled when I exit the sim otherwise if I restart P3d without EF it loads really bright and the in sim brightness options don't work. The only way to recover is to restart P3d with EF running and ensure manual lighting is enabled when I exit the sim, then it will run as normal if I restart the sim on it's own.

Is this a known problem?

Regards

The more rending of clouds the more verticies that has to be drawn on the screen.  Remember, the sim is being optimized by LM, but the weather has not be changed since FSX.  We are just trying to squeeze everything possible out of it we can.

It seems to be fine now. I was getting the performance drop in manual mode, too. Also, the cirrus cloud option was turned off all along so it wasn't the culprit.

What seems to have fixed the issue in the end is wiping EF off my computer and restoring default shaders by reinstalling the P3D client. After that, I downloaded the full EF installer again (newest version containing the update, of course) and installed it. Afterwards I didn't have a drop in performance anymore. I have no idea why reinstalling EF would fix bad performance but it, or something in the process, seems to have ironed things out. I also removed my PTA preset that I only used to tweak the cockpit.

As some other people have reported performance issues as well, EF appears to dig deep into the sim, perhaps so deep that it can, for some people in some instances (certain sim/addon setups, no idea) cause severe issues. I also had black ground textures and a gray sky at some point which I fixed by installing the 4.5 client (and afterwards going back to 4.4).

Apart from the trouble, it seems to work fine now and I really do like what it transforms my sim into. Looks very natural and realistic without any tweaking required (apart from tuning HDR which seems pretty aggressive).

I am not getting severe performance issues (yet) but what I am getting is extremely long startup times for P3D. It used to take about 10 minutes to get up in running but now it takes about 25 minutes or so. Obviously I have a lot addons but it wasnt a problem before I uninstalled environment force.

I am experiencing a severe drop of FPS too, but I was able to mitigate it. A drop of FPS is not stable and looks like depends on scenery and weather (amount of clouds). But it is accumulative and can be decreased more and more if you follow the steps to reproduce, see below. A full restart of P3D is the only solution and following my workaround steps, also see below. For one of my scenery where I have 30 FPS, I have a drop of only 5-10 FPS per reproducing steps, it means that restarting EF 3 times and I am having less than 10 FPS constantly (30 FPS -> ~ 20 FPS -> ~ 10 FPS -> < 10 FPS). But in the other case with the scene with 65+ FPS, with a single run of steps to reproduce, given me only 10+ FPS immediately.

I am using SF3D + EF with all options on in Auto mode

Steps to reproduce:

1. Run P3D and load any scenario

2. Run EF first, before SF3D and wait about 20 seconds until it will take effect (usually I notice cloud or distant fog changes)

3. Run SF3D and wait for full weather injection cycle (2 green messages: weather station creation started, whether injection completed), about 20 seconds more

After that my FPS is dropping immediately. If you stop SF3D and EF without stopping P3D, FPS will be not fixed and if you re-run EF and SF3D again, follow the same steps, it will add more FPS drop

Steps to avoid:

1. Run P3D and load scenario

2. Run SF3D first, before EF and wait for initial injection cycle, about 20 seconds (2 green messages: weather station creation started, whether injection completed)

3. Run EF only after the first weather injection completed

No FPS drop in this case and any other weather injection cycles from SF3D does not affect FPS

I hope that will help others and help to troubleshoot and debug this issue and provide a fix in the future updates. If this will be confirmed, it means that the issue in the initial hook before initial weather injection or during it. It might be different for ASP4 and might not work for other weather injection cycles from ASP4.

One question here - EF and SF manuals do not recommend to start them when sim is running. Was this made intentionally?

This the end clean scenario of how I was able to isolate this issue. Usually, I am starting everything at the same time, as it is taking time. I had no issue before, running this way. So with EF I started to have FPS drop sometimes, sometimes not. So I played 4 days with that and come up with that scenario to reproduce and scenario to avoid. I used my second approach for 2 days and had 0 FPS drop since that. I am not saying or suggest that this is the right way to run SF3D + EF, but this clean steps just might help to understand FPS issue and provide a possible workaround for others. So answering your question, yes, in the end, it was the intentional result of my small investigation.

I too get bad frames, but only when I'm above the clouds not below... Which is weird. 

9 hours ago, flywithme said:

I too get bad frames, but only when I'm above the clouds not below... Which is weird. 

Same with me - frames on ground are as normal only above the clouds