Sign in to follow this  
Adam_WMids_UK

RESOLVED 3D Cloud Models REX EF AND REX SF

Posted (edited)

Hello All

I notice a number of similar questions relating to the use of EF and SF - as a suggestion, might it be worth clarifying the use of these two together in the manual? Possibly with further recommendations for using with ActiveSky (since most simmers use this for weather)?

My specific question relates to using SF for the 3D Cloud Models dynamically... If I wish to have REX software provide 3D Cloud Models (as opposed to ASCA for example), should I use SF with EF? Or does EF duplicate this functionality and therefore this would cause a conflict? (I use AS so have the weather engine in SF turned off).

Thanks

Adam

Edited by Adam_WMids_UK

Hi Adam, 

1 hour ago, Adam_WMids_UK said:

My specific question relates to using SF for the 3D Cloud Models dynamically... If I wish to have REX software provide 3D Cloud Models (as opposed to ASCA for example), should I use SF with EF? Or does EF duplicate this functionality and therefore this would cause a conflict? (I use AS so have the weather engine in SF turned off).

No conflict with using SF and EF together. Just run EF and you can leave SF closed. EF will 'pool' from SF what it needs even if SF is closed.

Thanks for the reply.

One of the features I used from SF was the dynamic generation of 3D cloud models. Obviously when it is not running, it can't be doing this.

Therefore, from your reply, am I correct in understanding that EF does generate its own 3D cloud models influenced by weather conditions (when in auto mode)?

Thanks in advance for further clarication on this.

Adam

Obviously when it is not running, it can't be doing this.

why is this obvious ^^

Im not sure now that this happens since i dont had it running yet but seems there is an option in EF where one can set the path for SF install. SO it would pull the 3d cloud models right from the SF folder, no need to have it run in this case if the same functionality is in EF

One of the features I used from SF was the dynamic generation of 3D cloud models. Obviously when it is not running, it can't be doing this.

Yes it can, and it does because that is built into EF to interface with SF even when it's closed. EF was programmed for this.

Therefore, from your reply, am I correct in understanding that EF does generate its own 3D cloud models influenced by weather conditions (when in auto mode)?

Yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, let's briefly describe this logic. Since the release of EF, SF and TD have become a material library from now on, providing texture material. Of course, it can also provide weather data (I hope it will get better and better) and this EF provides a set of integration methods, along with a PTA-like beautification function, so the understanding should be correct.
However, there is a problem that REX can consider. That is, the "Texture Program Folder Location" option in the EF settings can only select SF or TD (temporarily do not discuss third-party textures). This will result in waste, at least for purchase. For SF and TD users, if EF can call SF and TD more dynamically in future upgrades, it will be a very complete ecological chain. I look forward to EF's development in this direction.

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, timest999 said:

Apologies. Possibly I wasn't clear in my explanation. What I meant was that I understand that SF selects cloud models and 'pipes' them into the sim when the SF app is running and connected to the sim. When the SF app wasn't running nothing would be injecting the models into the sim. Hence my follow up question as to whether EF provides this functionality, meaning SF does not need to be running for the 3D models to be used.

Thanks for everybody's input and further explanation. That more than answers my original question.

Cheers

Adam

Edited by Adam_WMids_UK

10 minutes ago, Adam_WMids_UK said:

Apologies. Possibly I wasn't clear in my explanation. What I meant was that I understand that SF selects cloud models and 'pipes' them into the sim when the SF app is running and connected to the sim. When the SF app wasn't running nothing would be injecting the models into the sim. Hence my follow up question as to whether EF provides this functionality, meaning SF does not need to be running for the 3D models to be used.

Thanks for everybody's input and further explanation. That more than answers my original question.

Cheers

Adam

Now, you can understand that EF reads the SF model and sends it to SIM, because EF has completed data exchange with SF through some internal interface, so we don't need to keep SF on unless you need to choose the weather engine of SF, which requires SF to keep on opening.

4 hours ago, loverallan said:

Well, let's briefly describe this logic. Since the release of EF, SF and TD have become a material library from now on, providing texture material. Of course, it can also provide weather data (I hope it will get better and better) and this EF provides a set of integration methods, along with a PTA-like beautification function, so the understanding should be correct.
However, there is a problem that REX can consider. That is, the "Texture Program Folder Location" option in the EF settings can only select SF or TD (temporarily do not discuss third-party textures). This will result in waste, at least for purchase. For SF and TD users, if EF can call SF and TD more dynamically in future upgrades, it will be a very complete ecological chain. I look forward to EF's development in this direction.

You should not really use SF and TD textures together.  SF was built around completely different cloud models.  TD uses the default cloud model system originally with the sim.  This will cause some major issues down the road.  So if you switch from SF to TD within EF it will remove the SF model sets.

4 hours ago, Adam_WMids_UK said:

Cheers

Adam

And EF also moves the SF cloud models to the sim.  So again yes you do not need SF to be open unless you are using its weather engine.