Crabby

RESOLVED Automatic Mode

It is my understanding that in Automatic Mode, EF is pulling textures from SF.  

Does it only pull from the textures that were previously selected in SF or from any texture available in the SF installation?

With regard to cloud sync, it appears that Enable Automatic Textuer Synch is the same thing as RealTime Cloud sync in SF.  Is that correct?

4 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Does it only pull from the textures that were previously selected in SF or from any texture available in the SF installation?

With regard to cloud sync, it appears that Enable Automatic Textuer Synch is the same thing as RealTime Cloud sync in SF.  Is that correct?

Very good questions! I am interested in answers too. I prefer flying with EF in Automated Mode.

After the Installation from EF

will be the automatic mode use the SF3D Textures  automatically when SF3D ist installed.

Frank

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Crabby said:

Yes, or from Texture Direct, whichever you have installed and selected from EF.

No, it pulls from the entire lot, whichever is programmed for the best weather match.

No, texture sync is just that... real-time cloud sync is cloud MODEL sync, not texture sync.

8 hours ago, f.skywalker said:

After the Installation from EF

will be the automatic mode use the SF3D Textures  automatically when SF3D ist installed.

Frank

Correct.

2 hours ago, timest999 said:

No, texture sync is just that... real-time cloud sync is cloud MODEL sync, not texture sync.

I guess I am not understanding the difference between synching a cloud model and texture sync.  Does EF texture synch pull the cloud textures from SF? If so, what does the cloud model sync give me that EF texture sync does not.  I am trying to decide if I run both EF and SF or not.  At this moment I feel I don't have the information to make a decision.

EF pulls both models and textures from SF. You just need to run EF unless you are using SF as a Weather Engine. In this case you need to run both apps.

• Thanks 1

What if you change (install) models and textures in SF during the flight? Will EF pull new ones from SF? If that's the case, then we should leave SF opened, in case we want to change models and textures?

Please don't do that. P3D is not designed to manipulate its files once it is running. Use only EF to change cloud texture sets on the fly.

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up. I was really confused about that. Although isn't it strange that you have to go to manual mode in EF to change models and textures from SF and then change back to automation for all automated controls in EF, if that even works in that way? 

Automation mode will select appropriate clouds from SF sets based on its internal logic. Its some REX secret sauce. One of the inputs I can imagine is radar data to obtain proper cloud volumes, heights etc.

There is no need to switch to manual mode from auto - unless you would like to take screenshot and you would like to change clouds in your scene to some different ones.

• Like 1

Secret sauce? Don't tell me it's tomato!? 🤣😉 

OK, that clears up clouds models and textures. But what about sky textures? Does EF knows that it shouldn't inject e.g. Sydney or Thailand sky in Europe?

Actually having this is why I joined this project 😉

It's a great project. I'm just curious about some things that i clearly don't understand. I really like automation thingy, cause i don't wanna sit all day behind yoke, changing settings and thinking about how and why this and that looks like that. 🤣 Althoug I want to understand how SW logics works, so I can make flightsim looks better for me. Thanks for all your help.

21 minutes ago, p4pe said:

OK, that clears up clouds models and textures. But what about sky textures? Does EF knows that it shouldn't inject e.g. Sydney or Thailand sky in Europe?

Curious as well.

• Like 1

I'm sorry to say so, but I think many of us has (have) the same similar questions which are not described in manuals. I've read SF and EF manuals a couple of times, but I still don't quite get it. Some things are just not understandable to me or maybe I'm just stupid as a door knob. Don't answer that! 🤣

1 hour ago, Jarek said:

EF pulls both models and textures from SF. You just need to run EF unless you are using SF as a Weather Engine. In this case you need to run both apps.

Jarek, so if I'm using active sky I do NOT need to start SF with EF? Also should the Enable Real Time weather data read be on or off??

Thanks

4 minutes ago, rfelger88 said:

Jarek, so if I'm using active sky I do NOT need to start SF with EF? Also should the Enable Real Time weather data read be on or off??

Thanks

Can I chime in?

Apparently we don't need to start SF if you don't use SF Weather Engine. Still don't know what's with the sky textures.

I think Real Time weather data must be about the same (ON or OFF)  if you use it from Active Sky or you use the internal EF NOAA data. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There are 2 options available: ON - means that EF uses NOAA data. OFF - means that EF will connect to P3D and will retrieve METAR data from there. Please keep in mind that ASP4 uses interpolation method to determine weather based on nearby stations. So it injects artificial weather based on nearby stations and it can be different if you use "nearest station" method. So I prefer to keep this option set OFF. But you may try to experiment with ON, it will still work.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jarek said:

So, if I have ASP4. SF and TD4 installed, are you saying I don't need SF anymore with EF installed; that EF will use TD4 for the textures?

Is their any advantage to keeping SF installed if I am using ASP4, EF and have TD4 installed?

Thanks,

Edited by portanav

16 hours ago, p4pe said:

What if you change (install) models and textures in SF during the flight? Will EF pull new ones from SF? If that's the case, then we should leave SF opened, in case we want to change models and textures?

16 hours ago, Jarek said:

Please don't do that. P3D is not designed to manipulate its files once it is running. Use only EF to change cloud texture sets on the fly.

But I thought SF changed cloud textures AND Models "on the fly" automatically, correct? So how could changing something in SF while P3D is running mess something up?

And just so I totally understand here; as long as we have SF installed (but NOT running), EF (in auto mode) will pull both cloud textures AND models depending on weather situation, correct?

Thank you!

Edited by tlittle

@portanav In this case, I would recommend using SF textures for sky and clouds, not TD. SF is latest (5th) generation software and it provides best visual experience. Texture Direct can still be used for airport environments (if you dont have WWAirports product) and possibly for REX water textures.

Please see this post how to configure TD when SF is available:

@tlittle No, no. In cas of SF, before starting your sim, you select one set that you like and install it in the sim. It basically overwrites default cloud textures in the sim. Normally when sim starts, it reads these cloud textures and it is not possible to force it to re-read these file once again or have two different cloud sets displayed in one scene. SF does some trick to enhance variation, but it is not true cloud swapping like in case of EF.

For the second part, yes this is true.

Edited by Jarek
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks.

Edited by portanav

3 hours ago, Jarek said:

@portanav In this case, I wou

@tlittle No, no. In cas of SF, before starting your sim, you select one set that you like and install it in the sim. It basically overwrites default cloud textures in the sim. Normally when sim starts, it reads these cloud textures and it is not possible to force it to re-read these file once again or have two different cloud sets displayed in one scene. SF does some trick to enhance variation, but it is not true cloud swapping like in case of EF.

For the second part, yes this is true.

Regarding you answer to the second part, there are NUMEROUS posts here from members with REX icons as part of there profile that say you MUST have SF running to get real time cloud models.  There are just as many saying, like you, you don't.  It would be great if someone from ownership or the programming team would put this to reast once and for all.  A definitive ruling on this has been requested and I have not seen it.  Sorry, no offense, but a ruling from a beta tester (even me when I do that job) is not definitive.

24 minutes ago, Crabby said:

Regarding you answer to the second part, there are NUMEROUS posts here from members with REX icons as part of there profile that say you MUST have SF running to get real time cloud models.  There are just as many saying, like you, you don't.  It would be great if someone from ownership or the programming team would put this to reast once and for all.  A definitive ruling on this has been requested and I have not seen it.  Sorry, no offense, but a ruling from a beta tester (even me when I do that job) is not definitive.

I will settle this once and for all ;)

You do not need to have SF open in order for EF to pool from it what it needs. Open SF and leave it open if you want to use the weather engine.

• Thanks 1