Wolkenschreck

CLOSED Reduced visibility - no fog and haze outside of the U.S.

Hi REX,

I am still playing and learning the features of EF. So many sliders and so much to tweak. It is a powerful tool and I can not wait to see what you will add in future updates.

One thing I noticed is some strange behavior in situations with reduced visibility. Fog and haze will simply not render and I only get unlimited visibility. This seems to happen outside of the U.S., and when trying the same at U.S. airports, the visibility is correctly reduced. 

The following screenshot is taken at VABB Mumbai with AS4 as weather engine. Shaders are default (v4.4) with only EF added to the mix. I could see the same at EDDG, EDHL, EBLG and other non-U.S. airports.

Moreover, with default shaders only and no EF installed, the visibility is correctly reduced.

Is this something on my end or can somebody with AS4 reproduce the issue?

VABB 021400Z 0215/0224 23008KT 4000 HZ FU SCT020 BECMG 0222/0224 VRB03KT 3000 HZ FEW020 SCT025
(time changed to daylight for the shot with historic weather active, but same behavior with real time)

Best,
Christoph

VABB.jpg

Edited by Wolkenschreck

try to click the checkbox next to fog mode is manual, i had sth similar and the metar was properly read after that i recall

hope this helps

Best,

Thanos

(not from the Avengers)

• Thanks 1

Thank you Thanos, will try it. 

The picture was taken with automatic mode and REX stock settings. Still think it should work out of the box, as it does work in the U.S.

Here is the same situation with default shaders without EF installed:

Best,
Christoph

VABB2.jpg

Thanos,

You are absolutely right. With "Fog mode is Off" I get the following weather. Have to say it does look really good for smog/haze. With default shaders and EF I could see some amazing situations today. I think REX has developed a very powerful program and we are just witnessing some teething problems right now.

Maybe Reed, Tim, or Federico can give us some information about the fog behavior in automatic mode?

Best,
Christoph

VABB3.jpg

From the manual:

Fog Mode
When set to Manual you will notice an accessible Fog Variables and Fog Color area where
you can add fog density and change base and tops as well as color. When set to OFF,
the fog menus are hidden. IMPORTANT: When using a real-time weather engine, the
weather engine will overwrite the fog settings.

So ASP4 will override these settings and provide you with a fog anyway if the weather calls for it. That's how I understand it. :)

• Thanks 1

In the automation mode, you have to disable the weather smoothing if you are using Active Sky. They have their own fog control features.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the support, guys. Appreciated.
Yes, that was what I found in the manual too. However, AS4 is somehow not overriding the feature in automatic mode.

@rstough
Reed,  "Enable weather smoothing" and "Enable real-time weather data read" were in all situations both switched to off. 

Maybe somebody with AS4 can replicate the issue with yesterday's weather at Mumbai or some other Asian/European airport with reduced visibility?

Best,
Christoph

I can confirm have exactly the same issue. At Kolkata today raining and overcast with limited visibility. Using ASP4 for weather I could only get the reduced visibility by clicking "Fog mode is off" in mini UI. If "Fog mode is manual" EF ignores the visibility setting of ASP4 in auto mode. Looks to me like "Fog mode is off" would be better named "Fog mode is Automatic" and is toggled automatically to this setting when in automation mode. I do have weather smoothing off in EF, leaving ASP4 to handle this.

I also noticed this issue with fog and limited visibility. Don't understand quite, how it should work. Also if you enable weather smoothing in EF,  Fog mode goes to Auto setting in mini UI and I like it better this way, even though that we should disable this feature if we are using Active Sky. 🤔

Edited by p4pe

And here is the difference beetween disabled and enabled weather smoothing in EF or Fog mode Manual or Off in Mini UI with disabled weather smoothing in EF. I think in the second screenshot fog/reduced visibility looks better and it is the way it should be in the current weather. 

Screenshot_2.jpgScreenshot_3.jpg

Edited by p4pe

I am sorry I am trying to understand what is going on in this post. 

If AS4 is running and EF Enable Weather Smoothing is disabled - the fog is better or worse?

If AS4 is running and EF Enable Weather Smoothing is enabled - the fog is better or worse?

Hi Reed,

a) If AS4 is running and EF Enable Weather Smoothing is disabled - the fog is better or worse?
Worse. No fog or haze at all. But this seems to affect only non-U.S. airports. I will get fog in the U.S. (did not try Canada yet).

b) If AS4 is running and EF Enable Weather Smoothing is enabled - the fog is better or worse?'
Better. Fog/Haze is back. Changing the Fog Mode to Off in the Mini-UI or enabling Weather Smoothing
  (with Fog Mode is Auto) gives the same result and correctly renders the fog.

Best,
Christoph

Edited by Wolkenschreck

Hello, 

Same issue here at CYYZ - so Canada impacted as well.

What I'd like to finally understand is the following - developers suggested in some thread here to disable weather smoothing in EF automatic mode when using AS. But as noted - this removes all fog/reduced visibility rendering. Is the official advice when using EF+SF+AS - still to disable weather smoothing in EF and changing the Fog Mode to Off in the Mini-UI? What are we losing if we keep weather smoothing enabled in EF and still using AS for weather? I am a little confused in this respect.

First picture attached is in CYYZ with either weather smoothing enabled in EF or enabled but Fog Mode to Off - correct rendering

Second picture is with weather smoothing disabled and Fog Mode at default (manual) - obviously incorrect depiction.

Regards,

Vlad 

Prepar3D_QlcZRCWYrU.jpg

Prepar3D_bNnnRU6Inj.jpg

Good evening!

Any news regarding this issue? I have the same situation today in EPWR,

a) AS4 + EF, weather smoothing off = no haze at all, which is NOK
b) AS4 + EF, weather smoothing on = limited visibility, look as through the window in RL, which is OK
c) AS4 + EF, weather smoothing off + fog mode is off = limited visibility, look as through the window in RL, which is OK
d) AS4 + EF, weather smoothing off + fog mode is manual = no haze at all, which is NOK

Regards

Marek Mysior

I've always maintained the below settings and never had any issues.

EF weather smoothing OFF
EF fog mode (in-sim UI) OFF
EF enable real-time weather data read OFF

This transfers the haze/fog control exclusively to ASP4. And since I turned off real time weather data read on EF, the way I understand it, it'll read the weather data being injected by ASP4.

20 hours ago, Beldwick said:

Good evening!

Any news regarding this issue? I have the same situation today in EPWR,

a) AS4 + EF, weather smoothing off = no haze at all, which is NOK
b) AS4 + EF, weather smoothing on = limited visibility, look as through the window in RL, which is OK
c) AS4 + EF, weather smoothing off + fog mode is off = limited visibility, look as through the window in RL, which is OK
d) AS4 + EF, weather smoothing off + fog mode is manual = no haze at all, which is NOK

Regards

Marek Mysior

We are working on a fix for fog/haze in clear skies. Will keep you posted.

Federico

• Like 2