Sign in to follow this  
kellyra

RESOLVED A few questions not covered in the manual

Hi there,

The release of REX EF is great news for me indeed - as I use REX SkyForce with the P3Dv4.5 Active Sky Weather Engine - but was missing sadly the ability for cloud and sky textures to be synced with the real-time in-sim weather (which I used to have with Active Sky Cloud Art (ASCA) and which I no longer run in favour of REX SkyForce cloud modelling). This is the primary reason I purchased REX EF. My intended method of running REX EF is therefore in the automatic mode. The ability to control other environmental parameters real-time in-sim is essentially a bonus and I look forward to seeing what REX EF can do automatically in-sim - visually speaking.

However I do run PTA and have fine tuned it to my liking. So while I am happy to see what REX EF can do in the auto mode, I do have some important questions that would I greatly appreciate some guidance on. Please note that I have read the entire manual and did not find answers to these questions (to the best of my understanding):

1. Using the in-sim UI, the manual indicates that recompiling shaders is "very useful if utilizing shader tools such as PTA or TomatoShade". So the question is when should I recompile the shaders using the in-sim UI? Should it be done after changing a parameter using the in-sim UI or after changing a parameter in PTA? 

2. The effect of changing some environmental parameters in-sim using the in-sim UI can be seen immediately (e.g. cloud opacity, terrain saturation, etc.). So presumably changing these parameters does not require a recompile of shaders (see question 1 above)? Is this correct? So how do I know which parameters affect shaders and would thus require a recompile of shaders and which do not?

3. There seems to be quite a bit of overlap between the in-sim UI parameters and PTA.  This is not a complaint, however, which PTA parameters can/should I still set/tweak using PTA and which can I turn off in PTA so as not to spend time setting / tweaking the latter parameters in PTA and to allow REX EF just do its thing automatically. 

4. Lastly, when running in the REX EF "auto" mode, which in-sim UI parameters are automatically adjusted in-sim by REX EF due to changes to the weather OR which are not? i.e. I would certainly not want to spend time manually adjusting visual settings parameters in-sim (or using PTA) only for them to be re-adjusted automatically by REX EF running in "auto" mode. Note that the manual states that when running in "auto" mode, you may still adjust visual settings in real-time with the simulator using the in-sim UI - so this question I think is certainly relevant - or else why at all allow for any changes in-sim when in "auto" mode?

Looking forward to getting some much needed clarity so as to fly and enjoy the new features of REX EF with REX SF to the full.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Answered in list order. to my personal opinion only 

1. what I do is reset shadders after each session then I load my personal default preset that way I am starting clean each session.
  2. This is why I  reset and reload so I have a clean palate each flight...
  3. I do not use PTA anymore so I feel unqualified to answer this query. What I would suggest though is monitor forums as already suggestions are being posted on various settings and add-ons
  4. Ok, good question, one aspect that I use Environment Force is to fine tune both geographical and seasonal variances. I have 2 flight simulators my 1080 and 2080 ti 64 gig gigabyte monster. Each one will render differently on my high-end machine the geographical and seasonal variances are extremely noticeable as I fly mostly Pacific North West over water the Water tools in Environment Force really come into effect.  For example, you set the geographical and seasonal variances for the sun on say a late afternoon December the granularity and specular with enviro shading have literally given me goosebumps. Then once you tune the HDR and especially the Rayleigh you have totally transformed the cinematics. 

Environment Force with geographical and seasonal variances in my opinion only will literally amaze you, it does me      

11 hours ago, kellyra said:

Hi there,

The release of REX EF is great news for me indeed - as I use REX SkyForce with the P3Dv4.5 Active Sky Weather Engine - but was missing sadly the ability for cloud and sky textures to be synced with the real-time in-sim weather (which I used to have with Active Sky Cloud Art (ASCA) and which I no longer run in favour of REX SkyForce cloud modelling). This is the primary reason I purchased REX EF. My intended method of running REX EF is therefore in the automatic mode. The ability to control other environmental parameters real-time in-sim is essentially a bonus and I look forward to seeing what REX EF can do automatically in-sim - visually speaking.

In response to your top portion...If you have Sky Force installed, Environment Force will automatically sync textures and cloud models to the sim during automation mode.  You can do this manually within the Main UI also.

On 5/1/2019 at 5:46 PM, REX Support 2 said:

Ok, good question, one aspect that I use Environment Force is to fine tune both geographical and seasonal variances.

Hi there,

Thanks for the response. Perhaps I am missing something fundamental. However, you mentioned fine tuning "both geographical and seasonal variances". What are geographical and what are seasonal variances? How does one "tune" each of these ? Are you talking about auto or manual mode ?

As you are not a PTA user, if we forget about using PTA for now and focus on the in-sum UI tool, if I am running in "auto" mode with everything set to "ON", please kindly explain:

1. what parameters I can tune that are not automatically tuned by the auto mode of REX EF? I have experimented and seen some parameters change automatically (like cloud sizing) and some have not changed at all. The key point is that I am not sure which parameters might be adjusted automatically by REX EF. As mentioned, I really don't fancy tuning parameters that will be automatically changed after a few minutes. I very much like the in-sim UI feature so I wouldn't want the UI feature disabled in auto-mode - but I would really like to know which parameters are changed automatically by REX EF. 

2. the other question is when and why would I need to recompile the shaders using the in-sim UI? I can see the immediate effect of manually changing some parameters using the in-sim UI (like the water parameters and Rayleigh light scattering parameters and others don't "seem" to make much difference but I am not sure. Do some changes / tweaks require a recompilation of shaders and if so, which ones ? Please excuse me as I really don't understand how shaders actually work.

Thanks again,

In regards to question # 1 - 

Everything that is on the Main UI - clouds, water, terrain and coloring is affected by the Automation Mode.  The additional "deeper" shader functions on the Mini UI are not affected by the Automation Mode.

In regards to question #2 -

If you are using the Mini UI you do not need to click the Recompile Shaders function.  This is only to be used if you are injecting a 3rd party shader tool preset.

• Like 1