Sign in to follow this  
MZee1960

ANSWERED Why So Many Duplications ?

Hello,

I have been a REX user for over 7 years now and I am currently eyeing the jump from FSX to P3D.

Back in 2011 when I purchased the first product,  I chose REX Essentials Plus with the OD Texture Pack. After download, it was then choose your textures and settings ... and forget it. Everything from that day forward worked impeccably without issues. A true 'set it and forget it' program as long as FSX was launched through REX. I had ground textures for runways, grass, parking, tarmac, and roads at all airports. I had water textures and animations everywhere. I had a plentiful variety of wonderful cloud textures, sky textures, colors and sun and moon textures all day (and night). Furthermore, I had a very nice weather engine providing me with some of the most realistic weather conditions the sim world has ever seen, from the clearest blue skies to the densest fog,  from the cutest cumuli to the most menacing dark thunderstorm clouds. Even today, when I post my sim pics on line, I often get asked what weather engine and textures I use.

So now, I figure over the next 6 months I will make the jump to P3D, and would like to get the same REX Essentials w/OD installed there. However, I can't find this 'all in one' program anymore. Ok, so I figured with progress being what it is, perhaps the amount of textures have become overwhelming to be all included in such an 'all in one' program, so perhaps the REX developers opted to put them all into one separate program.  Fair enough.  Perhaps maybe two programs ?  I quickly found out - REX Texture Direct 4 for the ground and water textures and REX Skyforce for all the sky and cloud textures. Simple enough, but where's the newest weather engine ?  The soon to be released Weather Force must be the newest weather engine everyone's talking about. OK, simple enough - I just buy REX TD4, Skyforce and Weather Force (once it's released) , and I have essentially a greatly enhanced and updated REX E w/OD containing all the ground, water and sky textures along with the weather engine, right ?  Well, actually, no.  As it turns out REX TD4 has ground and sky/cloud textures but no weather engine. OK, so one then purchases REX Skyforce to get the engine, but wait ...... there's no ground and water textures in Skyforce. So now to cover the bases one has to own both REX TD4 and Skyforce and inactivate the duplicate cloud textures in REX TD4 as Skyforce is touted to have the latest cloud and sky textures. The upcoming Weather Force will apparently have a more fluid and improved weather change pattern in it's weather engine (as per info from sim conferences), which will most likely cause the engine in Skyforce to become 'the older sibling', and if one wants it, then they have to consequently inactivate it in Skyforce, and download the Weatherforce software version. 

As much as I like REX and it's products, I feel a bit confused by the release protocol of the various addons, which essentially forces sim folk to download several products and then inactivate the duplicates in order to cover all the bases from the standpoint of having the latest and best airport ground textures, water texures, sky/sun/moon/cloud textures, and weather engine.

Would it not be easier to just break these down into several different downloadable products that would each complement one another (without duplication) and have the simmer then choose how basic or complete they want their sim to look and download the corresponding product(s) ?  

I love REX products and will continue to support REX down the road.  I just wish the products were a bit more easier to understand, complemented each other and had no duplications between them. This way I feel even subsequent updates would be easier to put out, regardless of whether it's a revised weather engine,  or water textures. 

(I also certainly wish REX would look into water shaders and offer some program to change the 'milky' water appearance of water for those who still use FSX.)

Food for thought, anyway, from a somewhat confused, but loyal REX customer.

Cheers, MZ.

• Like 1

Hello, 

Just checking in if any feedback.     :)

Thank-you, again.

Edited by MZee1960

Logical, but solely from the point of view of a single simmer, with a single sim.

You've completely disregarded the simmer who has multiple sims, with different products active in each. For us, the options and variety mean mix'n'match across platforms is considerably easier. Albeit with knowledge of what each REX product does, and more importantly doesn't do...

Knowledge of the the product is for the individual, as all our requirements differ. I cannot see how the developer can be expected to know our requirement, unless we are prepared to fill in a form in order to qualify the purchase. As most simmers have difficulty even filling-in a warranty card, that's a forlorn hope.

Surely you are not suggesting this should be a developer obligation?

Don't you fully research your REX products and how they interact with other REX products and those of other developers, before you make the purchase?

First, please accept my apologies for the very late reply.  Some of our staff have been taking some much needed time off before the final rush of the holidays.

When we first started REX we developed to have one product do all things.  This was our development philosophy from day 1 up until we started work on REX 4.

With REX 4 we decided to split all the features of REX Essentials into different parts.  The reason is because we found it trying to update one component of a MASSIVE program lead to many woes for customers to download such a large program again for a simple fix.  Plus, it gave us the ability to expand the products as individual products.

REX 4 has now led to REX 5 the "Force" products. This is where each product will specifically specialize in a key area of flight simulation:

So here is the break down of the current products and their focus:

FOR CLOUD MODELS, TEXTURES, SKY, SUN EFFECTS, MOON, LIGHTNING EFFECTS, SOUNDS, AND WEATHER:

REX (5) Sky Force = Focuses on specifically the atmosphere and weather elements.  All textures and cloud models center around the weather engine and its rendering.

FOR AIRPORT TEXTURES:

REX (5) Worldwide Airports = Focuses specifically on airport enhancements.  

FOR ACCURATE WEATHER RADAR
WX Advantage Radar = Focuses on providing pilots an accurate view of the weather as they fly through it.

UPCOMING PRODUCTS

REX (5) Weather Force = Is a very highly advanced weather engine that will be a free addon to REX Sky Force and replace the its current weather engine.

REX (5) Environment Force = more information coming soon on this product

There are other products and ideas, but we are not ready to talk about yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/5/2018 at 4:08 AM, snave said:

Logical, but solely from the point of view of a single simmer, with a single sim.

You've completely disregarded the simmer who has multiple sims, with different products active in each. For us, the options and variety mean mix'n'match across platforms is considerably easier. Albeit with knowledge of what each REX product does, and more importantly doesn't do...

Knowledge of the the product is for the individual, as all our requirements differ. I cannot see how the developer can be expected to know our requirement, unless we are prepared to fill in a form in order to qualify the purchase. As most simmers have difficulty even filling-in a warranty card, that's a forlorn hope.

Surely you are not suggesting this should be a developer obligation?

Don't you fully research your REX products and how they interact with other REX products and those of other developers, before you make the purchase?

I appreciate very much where you're coming from and your point.

As someone who has been involved in the general hobby of flight sim since before FS2004 came out, and have had some experience over the years with the various platforms, it just came down to the complexity, cost and storage space involved in running multiple sims which forced me to essentially focus on one sim platform, and get rid of the rest. To your point exactly, ..... I tend to 'over-research' the products before I buy them,  and hand pick the ones which suit my needs the best, with minimal duplications - the reason I purchased REX Essentials Plus w/OD in the first place. I am currently in the planning stages of my next build and chose P3D as my new platform for many personal reasons.  I feel it will serve my needs best now and in the future, while keeping my system relatively lean.       

On 11/5/2018 at 11:34 AM, rstough said:

First, please accept my apologies for the very late reply.  Some of our staff have been taking some much needed time off before the final rush of the holidays.

When we first started REX we developed to have one product do all things.  This was our development philosophy from day 1 up until we started work on REX 4.

With REX 4 we decided to split all the features of REX Essentials into different parts.  The reason is because we found it trying to update one component of a MASSIVE program lead to many woes for customers to download such a large program again for a simple fix.  Plus, it gave us the ability to expand the products as individual products.

REX 4 has now led to REX 5 the "Force" products. This is where each product will specifically specialize in a key area of flight simulation:

So here is the break down of the current products and their focus:

FOR CLOUD MODELS, TEXTURES, SKY, SUN EFFECTS, MOON, LIGHTNING EFFECTS, SOUNDS, AND WEATHER:

REX (5) Sky Force = Focuses on specifically the atmosphere and weather elements.  All textures and cloud models center around the weather engine and its rending.

FOR AIRPORT TEXTURES:

REX (5) Worldwide Airports = Focuses specifically on airport enhancements.  

FOR ACCURATE WEATHER RADAR
WX Advantage Radar = Focuses on providing pilots an accurate view of the weather as they fly through it.

UPCOMING PRODUCTS

REX (5) Weather Force = Is a very highly advanced weather engine that will be a free addon to REX Sky Force and replace the its current weather engine.

REX (5) Environment Force = more information coming soon on this product

There are other products and ideas, but we are not ready to talk about yet.

Thank-you very much for your response,  Reed.

As mentioned in my OP above, I am simply looking to replace what REX Essentials plus with the OD Pack did for my FSX,  'content-wise'.

This is a big help in clarifying which product does what.

Thank-you, again,

MZ. 

Glad to help.  I will be able to give more information about Environment Force when we start marketing it.  That should be very soon.

• Like 1