rstough

DEVELOPER BLOG WEATHER FORCE - NEWS UPDATES

WEATHER FORCE - STATUS UPDATE:  DEVELOPMENT PHASE

7/9/2018 -

This is the official update on the Weather Force Addon for Sky Force 3D.  The Weather Force addon is a feature that will be a part of the larger update called "Creative Update 1" for Sky Force in the near future.  Weather Force is a newly enhanced weather engine feature that brings not only better handling of the weather, but smooth weather transitions during updates.  

For more direct discussion follow us on our dedicated discord channel:  https://discord.gg/2BvRRda

On 7/10/2018 at 8:13 AM, BBoyJD10 said:

So how long are we looking before it ends up on the insider program ?

We have to complete the Technical Update 2.1 for Sky Force. 

Weather Force will be included in the Creative Update 1 for Sky Force.  We are starting work on this now.

With this next update, is there any chance of us getting any sort of 3D Cirrus clouds? This has certainly been something in the sim that has lacked and I’m not sure if it has to do with the sim itself or not. It sucks getting up to the Cirrus level and then just seeing them disappear. Also will there be any sort of improving stratus clouds? To me, they just seem really flat in many instances. I end up putting soft clouds in manually to get a better stratus, but was hoping I wouldn’t need to with SF3D. I really hope that one day, we will see actually 3D clouds and a new lighting engine, but I know that is up to P3D to make those changes. We can only hope!

• Like 1

Hi b757,

2 hours ago, b757 said:

With this next update, is there any chance of us getting any sort of 3D Cirrus clouds? 

In the past we have asked the LM team for this very thing. It isn't going to happen without their incorporation.

2 hours ago, b757 said:

Also will there be any sort of improving stratus clouds? 

This is what Sky Force excels at... 3D cloud models, which conforms to real-world cloud classification. With the upcoming Creative Update 1, it will only get better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timest999 said:

In the past we have asked the LM team for this very thing. It isn't going to happen without their incorporation.

This has always been something that bothered me as well. If you don't mind me asking Tim, how hard would it be for LM to incorporate this? As I understand it the issue was due to insufficient METAR information on cirrus clouds. But the way I see it, if you're going to put something in there anyway, why not make it 3D? Or even the 2D sprites like the other clouds. I never understood why they had to be different.

Hi RV, 

I fully agree. Matter of fact, we gave a full wish-list to them. I was actually in touch with one of their devs at one point almost weekly. All of a sudden all email correspondences just stopped. 

5 hours ago, RancidViper said:

If you don't mind me asking Tim, how hard would it be for LM to incorporate this? 

Hmmmm, I truly couldn't answer that because I'm not sure what kind of change(s) that would mean to the current SDK. We are doing things with Environment Force that no one has accomplished in any flight simulator. However, we would need access to deep source code in order to change the cirrus system. On a side note, in the upcoming Environment Force program we have included real-time tweaking parameters to help get rid of the awful repeating patterns in the cirrus clouds. Also included is the ability to FINALLY have FULL OC cirrus. ;) 

• Thanks 1

I figured it was something that LM would have to fix this. Next thing we absolutely need is cloud shadows on clouds! I know that will only come with a new PBR, which I think is rumored for V5 but nothing confirmed that I’ve seen. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, timest999 said:

On a side note, in the upcoming Environment Force program we have included real-time tweaking parameters to help get rid of the awful repeating patterns in the cirrus clouds. Also included is the ability to FINALLY have FULL OC cirrus.

That sounds amazing Tim! Honestly without the work you guys have done on the cloud systems in P3D I would not be flying it at all. It's totally changed the game and kudos for doing so even with the limited possibilities in the P3D code.

Can't wait for Environment Force and Weather Force!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RancidViper said:

That sounds amazing Tim! Honestly without the work you guys have done on the cloud systems in P3D I would not be flying it at all. It's totally changed the game and kudos for doing so even with the limited possibilities in the P3D code.

Can't wait for Environment Force and Weather Force!

Cheers RV, thank you for your kind words and support!

• Like 1

Has weather force been released yet? I was wondering because I still have very rough weather updates. 

Running vs 5.0.2018.0520

Edited by zero-7

REX WEATHER FORCE STATUS UPDATE: DEVELOPMENT
BUILD: Release Build
DATE: 12/10/2018  

Weather Force is a free add-on for owners of Sky Force and will be included as a part of Creative Update 1. 

It is important to stress that Weather Force is closely related to Environment Force.  Environment Force is also closely linked to Sky Force. 

Development continues on the core of Weather Force and Creative Update 1 for Sky Force.  We will have more information on this update once Technical Update 2.1 for Sky Force is released.

NEXT UPDATE: TBD

• Like 2

So this is my status: P3D v.4.3 with SkyForce, TextureDirect w. SoftClouds, WorldWideAirports and WeatherRadar.

I will wait for TU 2.1 and CreativeUpdate 1. Then I have WeatherForce. I will then upgrade P3D to v.4.5 and buy EnvironmentForce. This is how it is right now since EV does not work with P3D v.4.3. But I understand you are working on that to make EV work with v.4.3?

If so I do not have to upgrade to v.4.5 and thus avoid all the problems with add-ons: Orbx scenery, Gsx, missing aircrafts etc.

Regards Henrik (OY)

On 5/3/2019 at 12:25 AM, Henrik Beckman said:

So this is my status: P3D v.4.3 with SkyForce, TextureDirect w. SoftClouds, WorldWideAirports and WeatherRadar.

I will wait for TU 2.1 and CreativeUpdate 1. Then I have WeatherForce. I will then upgrade P3D to v.4.5 and buy EnvironmentForce. This is how it is right now since EV does not work with P3D v.4.3. But I understand you are working on that to make EV work with v.4.3?

If so I do not have to upgrade to v.4.5 and thus avoid all the problems with add-ons: Orbx scenery, Gsx, missing aircrafts etc.

Regards Henrik (OY)

We are hoping to have backward compatibility for Environment Force to cover all versions of P3D 4 once we iron out some issues.

Weather Force will include the main weather functions of Environment Force.

Dear Reed!

Just to be funny: I suggest you use a steam iron - it might speed up the progress with the backwards compatibility!

Good luck - I am still hopeing.

Have a nice day (when you wake up) and a pleasant weekend ahead!

Regards Henrik (OY)

REX WEATHER FORCE STATUS UPDATE
BUILD:  RELEASE BUILD
CYCLE:   NA
DATE:    6/6/2019

Status Update:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Weather Force is our next generation weather engine that will incorporate new features, smoothing, as well as some of the features of Environment Force.  This will support FSX, FSX Steam, and all versions of Prepar3D.  

Thank you all for your patience with our development cycles with other products.  However,  I am very happy to say that we are going to be nearing testing soon on this product.

There are some very exciting new features with this new weather engine.  As stated this will be a free add-on to those that have purchased REX Sky Force.

Once we reach the testing cycles we start to pull back the covers on the details of this next generation engine.  

One of the goals of this weather engine is that it is a component of Sky Force that can be consistently updated without having to update Sky Force all the time.  It will work in tandem with Sky Force but will operate without Sky Force running.

NEXT UPDATE: Monday, June 17, 2019

• Thanks 1

PRODUCT: REX WEATHER FORCE
BUILD: RELEASE
DATE: 6/18/2019

Developer Note:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Weather Force is our next generation weather engine that will incorporate new features, smoothing, as well as some of the features of Environment Force.  This will support FSX, FSX Steam, and all versions of Prepar3D.  

Hello Everyone -

Intense development continues of this add-on. 

Many have asked how is this weather engine going to be different than what is presently in Sky Force now.

Several features from Environment Force will be included into Weather Force.  In addition, Weather Force will be available for users of FSX, Steam, and all versions of P3D.

With this weather engine, we are approaching the process of generating weather much differently.  Our goal is to make the experience more immersive.

We have felt that what is lacking is the sense of flying through full weather systems that cover 1000 of square miles.  Learning from what we were able to accomplish within Environment Force, we are hoping to bring life to the weather systems through Weather Force.

We will be revealing more within a few weeks.

Our target is to start actively testing by the end of the month with our QA team, then move to our Insider Team in the weeks following.

NEXT UPDATE: Monday, July 1, 2019