rstough

DEVELOPER BLOG WEATHER FORCE - NEWS UPDATES

WEATHER FORCE - STATUS UPDATE:  DEVELOPMENT PHASE

7/9/2018 -

This is the official update on the Weather Force Addon for Sky Force 3D.  The Weather Force addon is a feature that will be a part of the larger update called "Creative Update 1" for Sky Force in the near future.  Weather Force is a newly enhanced weather engine feature that brings not only better handling of the weather, but smooth weather transitions during updates.  

For more direct discussion follow us on our dedicated discord channel:  https://discord.gg/2BvRRda

So how long are we looking before it ends up on the insider program ?

• Like 1

On 7/10/2018 at 8:13 AM, BBoyJD10 said:

So how long are we looking before it ends up on the insider program ?

We have to complete the Technical Update 2.1 for Sky Force. 

Weather Force will be included in the Creative Update 1 for Sky Force.  We are starting work on this now.

With this next update, is there any chance of us getting any sort of 3D Cirrus clouds? This has certainly been something in the sim that has lacked and I’m not sure if it has to do with the sim itself or not. It sucks getting up to the Cirrus level and then just seeing them disappear. Also will there be any sort of improving stratus clouds? To me, they just seem really flat in many instances. I end up putting soft clouds in manually to get a better stratus, but was hoping I wouldn’t need to with SF3D. I really hope that one day, we will see actually 3D clouds and a new lighting engine, but I know that is up to P3D to make those changes. We can only hope!

• Like 1

Hi b757,

2 hours ago, b757 said:

With this next update, is there any chance of us getting any sort of 3D Cirrus clouds? 

In the past we have asked the LM team for this very thing. It isn't going to happen without their incorporation.

2 hours ago, b757 said:

Also will there be any sort of improving stratus clouds? 

This is what Sky Force excels at... 3D cloud models, which conforms to real-world cloud classification. With the upcoming Creative Update 1, it will only get better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, timest999 said:

In the past we have asked the LM team for this very thing. It isn't going to happen without their incorporation.

This has always been something that bothered me as well. If you don't mind me asking Tim, how hard would it be for LM to incorporate this? As I understand it the issue was due to insufficient METAR information on cirrus clouds. But the way I see it, if you're going to put something in there anyway, why not make it 3D? Or even the 2D sprites like the other clouds. I never understood why they had to be different.

Hi RV, 

I fully agree. Matter of fact, we gave a full wish-list to them. I was actually in touch with one of their devs at one point almost weekly. All of a sudden all email correspondences just stopped. 

5 hours ago, RancidViper said:

If you don't mind me asking Tim, how hard would it be for LM to incorporate this? 

Hmmmm, I truly couldn't answer that because I'm not sure what kind of change(s) that would mean to the current SDK. We are doing things with Environment Force that no one has accomplished in any flight simulator. However, we would need access to deep source code in order to change the cirrus system. On a side note, in the upcoming Environment Force program we have included real-time tweaking parameters to help get rid of the awful repeating patterns in the cirrus clouds. Also included is the ability to FINALLY have FULL OC cirrus. ;) 

• Thanks 1

I figured it was something that LM would have to fix this. Next thing we absolutely need is cloud shadows on clouds! I know that will only come with a new PBR, which I think is rumored for V5 but nothing confirmed that I’ve seen. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, timest999 said:

On a side note, in the upcoming Environment Force program we have included real-time tweaking parameters to help get rid of the awful repeating patterns in the cirrus clouds. Also included is the ability to FINALLY have FULL OC cirrus.

That sounds amazing Tim! Honestly without the work you guys have done on the cloud systems in P3D I would not be flying it at all. It's totally changed the game and kudos for doing so even with the limited possibilities in the P3D code.

Can't wait for Environment Force and Weather Force!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, RancidViper said:

That sounds amazing Tim! Honestly without the work you guys have done on the cloud systems in P3D I would not be flying it at all. It's totally changed the game and kudos for doing so even with the limited possibilities in the P3D code.

Can't wait for Environment Force and Weather Force!

Cheers RV, thank you for your kind words and support!

• Like 1

WEATHER FORCE - STATUS UPDATE:  DEVELOPMENT PHASE

9/4/2018 -

Development continues on Weather Force and the Creative Update 1 for Sky Force.  Some delays have occurred due to server issues over the past couple of weeks.

For more direct discussion follow us on our dedicated discord channel:  https://discord.gg/2BvRRda

REX WEATHER FORCE STATUS UPDATE: DEVELOPMENT PHASE
Build: Release Build

Update: 10/4/2018

Development of the core API of the Weather Force weather engine is nearly done.  We plan to start testing once Technical Update 2.1 of Sky Force is complete and into testing.

Next Update: Monday, October 29, 2018

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1