rstough

DEVELOPER BLOG REX WORLDWIDE AIRPORTS - NEWS UPDATES

REX WORLDWIDE AIRPORTS HD - STATUS UPDATE: DEBUG PHASE

6/20/2018 -

We had to make some modifications to the enhanced airport's textures for KSLC.  We will be implementing these in the next build for testing.  This should be our last testing cycle before release.  We hope to have this build for testing available to the beta team by Friday or Monday.

• Like 3

6/27/2018 -

The final testing cycle for Worldwide Airports will begin this Friday into next week.  We should expect to release the final build to the public after this test.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7/9/2018 -

We completed our second cycle test and we had a few issues pop up.  Though these items are minor, they must be addressed before release.  

For more direct discussion follow us on our dedicated discord channel:  https://discord.gg/2BvRRda

• Like 1

Simply atrocious customer relations. How long has it been since v4 was released? You have been selling this item to customers running v3 the entire time while at the same time suggesting an update might available. As a goodwill gesture you might want to consider offering loyal customers a credit on a future purchase.

Really sorry but someone needs to say it......

The product works for the simulators it was released for. REX is working on an update and it will be delivered when it is done but, to buy a product knowing it doesn't yet work in a certain simulator and then complaining that it is taking them to long is utterly ridiculous. Maybe you should have waited to purchase the product until it was ready for your simulator of choice. I have owned WWHDA since it came out and have not once complained I can't use it in my P3DV4.

No, nobody had to say it because REX owes you nothing and are nice enough to upgrade the product without charging extra. Now THAT is what was needed to be said.

Ross G.

• Like 1

I respectfully disagree. That the developer "owes you nothing" does not explain why they keep saying that they're working on an update and not delivering. Stuff happens, I understand that, but if they're selling a commercial product I expect them to act in a business-like way. And "hiding" an earlier update thread doesn't suggest that someone is being perfectly transparent with their customers. BTW, I would have no problem with them charging for the update, since it's a full revision of P3D, but to be left hanging is something else. And I should add that I purchased the product prior to the release of v4, but not that far.

In the end, we'll all make decisions on our future relationships with one or another commercial vendor. To the ones who feel that they owe their customers nothing, good luck. Vendors make decisions not to support their products all the time. I have no problem with that. And REX apparently has not problem with us saying goodbye to them either. 

Best wishes to all.

Posted (edited)

First: REX offers really really great software! If its available.

I have to agree to both. I really understand jrw4. WWAHD was released November 2016. The current version of the simulator 4.0 was released  May  30, 2017. 

Since then HD Airports was useless for all those who wanted to make this big step. So it was usable for them 7 months, and outdated 13 months till now. This is really a very long time for an update. I would have had no problem to pay an update fee, maybe 10 or 15 $, and get the update within 2 months, i would have liked this even more, for sure! 

But: REX does not charge for the update. And they - obviously - had much work with the update. I am pretty sure that they did not expect so much work when they planned HD airports for P3D v3, or even when they announced the free update for v4.

I think REX has a problem at another point, and that goes to REX strategy: The communication. 

As jrw4 complains about the "hiding" (what is the difference to "deleting" for the users???) so do 7 other users in

and i give a +1 for that. I was shocked when the "right" thread i bookmarked had gone, and no newer information was given. I thought the same like jrw4: "Uuuups, after many promises they now canceled it! That was it!"

And i think REX communicates and calculates (much) to optimistic. I found the very cool REX Sky Force announcement in summer 2016. With a very cool video. There was nothing said about a release. But it was upcoming, not "planned for the distant future". So i really thought: "Is it worth buying Active Sky now?"! Can you imagine? I would have had no cool weather engine for over two  years, hoping on REX Sky Force. And whats out now: That is NOT the since 2016 promised "total immersion" in big letters.

I bought sky force. I started P3D with it. After 10 minutes the cloud i was admiring and just flying into, suddenly disappears. Totally! Hmpf!?!?!? 10 minutes later the next "suprise": Suddenly the whole sky changes! What?? An error? Total immersion? Sorry folks, but i can only take this as a joke. People complaining about micro stutters, and you change their whole flying experience this way? Really???   Really????

I´m glad the cool clouds are usable with Active sky engine. I know about the upcoming update regarding smooth transitions. But the smooth transitions should have been in Version 1.0. No release without it, for sure!

I saw the fselite interview, with Reed announcing Environmental Force  "definitley this year". I will wait. Not hoping on this year. Just wait. Until it is released.

And, jrw4, if you read this: I hope you understand how sceptical i am regarding announcements of REX in between. But: I would bet we get Airports HD for v4 within 10 days. And remember: It is free!

I apologize for my english.

Greetings Thomas

Edited by ThomasEDDL
english
  • Like 1

Again, you bought a product that was not compatible with the sim YOU decided to change to. That is not the fault of REX. You have the option to go back to V3, I am at this site every week because I own a few products I am waiting for them to get upgraded. REX has been very good at giving updates while this process goes on. I have looked at all the sites that sell their products and no where is it mentioned when purchasing that this is or will be V4 Compatible. It is easy to sit and complain when you have NO concept of what it takes to get these products built or upgraded.

Sorry, I guess I am just tired of people whining at developers when they don't get what they want when THEY expect to get it.

How does one know whether someone else on a forum does or does not have a concept of what it takes to do one thing or another? If developers don't have the resources to maintain their products it will become evident soon enough.

But look,  none of this matters in the larger scheme of things. Have a good weekend.

Posted (edited)

I develop database driven business applications since 30 years. So i have - for sure -  "NO concept of what it takes to get these products built or upgraded" at all.

I see that ezcam, FSUIPC, all ORBX, ATC Pro, Little Navmap, Aivlasoft EFB, PMDG 737 (only the things i own) have received an update. Many of the developed by one person. "The product works for the simulators it was released for." Yes. the simulators! Not a special version (I just ignore the 64 Bit change -what is a big change). I don´t expect my Excel going incompatible, because MS rolls out a new build of Win10. I even have Access 2.0 (released 1994) running on a 64 Bit Windows 2012 Server. That was not promised to me in 1994 (I even would not have expected it). But it is running, even without update. I understand that Aerosoft needs time to update 100 (?) products to a new version.

But if " developers don't have the resources to maintain their products", and we speak of five products, than it is - at least for me - critical if the update needs 13 months, while the last major update of the main product (Prepar3D) took 18 months.  If this is fine to you: congratulations, you are a very modest customer every developer  will love. Many other people expect better solutions. And as jrw4 stated "In the end, we'll all make decisions on our future relationships with one or another commercial vendor.", and i dont want REX to get a bad image, because their products are really good. If available.

Now i am happy awaiting the update and getting back my beautiful REX Airports HD.

Edited by ThomasEDDL
deleting blank lines

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, MrUnSavory said:

It is easy to sit and complain when you have NO concept of what it takes to get these products built or upgraded. 

Sorry, I guess I am just tired of people whining at developers when they don't get what they want when THEY expect to get it.

REX could just say: we can't make it compatible to P3Dv4 and everybody is fine with it!

I liked WorldWideAirports in V3 and i do not regret to bought it. But allmost all have updated to V4.3 and if next month P3Dv5 would be released, i would update to that to be up to date and to get the most out of my hardware.

We like the REX Products, that's why we are here. I do not expect a free update, i expect reliable commitments.

It's pretty easy and is done in almost no time and we can stop asking...

Edited by Raller

Posted (edited)

Guys complaining: go fly your sim. If you can't accept that updating to V4 is a time consuming endeavor, involving editing thousands of textures one by one and testing them in the sim, like REX has explained, then I suggest you start your own company and make your own fast-software. Sheesh.

Or do you think it's more likely that REX don't care about the profit they would have made by now if they had been able to update to V4 already? If they haven't, then there must be a pretty good reason, "dontcha" think?  Lets all be patient and enjoy our sims filled with REX beautiful cloudscapes. 

Edited by kihew
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, kihew said:

Guys complaining: go fly your sim. If you can't accept that updating to V4 is a time consuming endeavor, involving editing thousands of textures one by one and testing them in the sim, like REX has explained, then I suggest you start your own company and make your own fast-software. Sheesh.

Or do you think it's more likely that REX don't care about the profit they would have made by now if they had been able to update to V4 already? If they haven't, then there must be a pretty good reason, "dontcha" think?  Lets all be patient and enjoy our sims filled with REX beautiful cloudscapes. 

+1

I've been waiting for this for 15 months now and for SimAir even longer. Everyone in the community pretty much knows that REX are notorious for blowing the deadlines and over promising. 

• Like 1

Guys relax, I'm 95% sure that WWAHD will be released either this week or next week. Just be patient :^)

Allow me to address some of the points that have been brought up here - I know I can't necessarily address everything, since I am catching up on this thread after not seeing it for a while.

The update is indeed much later than we would have liked. Honestly one of the primary delays was the Sky Force TU2, which also took far longer than expected due to having to rewrite the program, etc. Not to mention, as discussed before, that every texture had to be redone individually for P3D v4 compatibility.

I am aware, as of course are Reed and Tim, that we have not always met our deadlines. We try to be transparent about what's going on and why it's taking longer, but many of the technical obstacles are protected by NDA so we have to be cryptic sometimes. It's not because we don't care about you, but we have to honor our agreements and protect our trade secrets. I am sure most of you can understand this.

This is not to say we have not made mistakes. Could we have handled things differently? Sure. We live and learn, and we'll own up to our errors. We are always trying to improve our development, testing, and customer support procedures so we can get you a better product and a better experience. And we are committed to continuing to improve those things.

Lastly, about the product itself: the required fixes truly are minor in scope. The bulk of the development work is done (the textures work), and we are testing now not only with our beta team but the Insider Program as well. We're hoping this may be the final build, provided nothing else comes up.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I can understand the frustration! To be honest for those consumers that are frustrated that's well in their right to be. I don't think its right to shoot down a person's opinions based upon what others may think and feel. All in all, I think the frustrations expressed were said and done in good taste. Also, these are forums so everyone has a right to express an opinion. REX support I thank you for all that you do. I know its many things that go on behind the scenes that we as the general public may not be aware of. Keep up the good work, and please keep taking my money on your great products. 

First, we hear our customers each time they express their frustration over delays and releases dates not being met.  Let me remind everyone we are a small firm.  We do not have 20+ developers working for us so we have to prioritize our work. 

Let me address Worldwide Airports:

1.) The original version for FSX, FSX Steam, and P3D 1 to 3 took 2 YEARS to develop.  The product as it stands works for those sims. 

2.) When P3D v4 was released we had to redo ALL the textures, which is the core of the product.  So what you are talking about is redoing what 2 years to develop all over again.  What that entails is fixing the texture, putting it into the sim and seeing if that fixed it.  If not we have repeat that process until the texture is complete and ready.  There are 15 GIGS of textures.  That just doesn't happen overnight.

Just as a reminder WE ARE NOT OBLIGATED to make a product work for the next simulator.  There is no written law that states we have to support the next version of a simulator.  This has been assumed and it is not right to place this demand on developers.  

In reality, we should charge a fee for the update and the man hours, but we are giving this as a FREE update to all customers.

Where things stands now, we are about to finish the third cycle of beta testing.  This included not just our beta team, but also our Insider Program.  Provided there are no major issues our next step will be to prepare the product for deployment.

Let me now address the delay in other products:

The consistent updates to Prepar3D has put a lot of extra work on our team that was never there 5 years ago.  Also, we originally only had 1 product to update in the past.  Now we have:

• REX 4 Texture Direct
  • REX 4 Soft Clouds
  • REX 4 Weather Architect
  • WX Advantage Radar
  • REX Worldwide Airports
  • REX Sky Force

This doesn't include the new products we currently are developing.

So having these many products to keep up to date with a small team can be quite a challenge.  So some are asking why has it taken so long for SIMAIR and some other things to get done.  It is because every time there is a change in a sim, each one of these products has to be re-tested.  Then if something needs to be fixed we have to drop what we are working on and fix it. 

I am not writing this to sound like we are victims here, but to merely communicate our perspective.  Our goal is to satisfy our customers, but understand we have limited resources and things cannot happen overnight.  

• Like 5

Thanks for the update.

Sounds like it's time to hire more developers and expand the business.;D This could be a good thing...grow the corporation and sell more licenses. Keep up the good work!

Bruce L.

3 hours ago, rstough said:

First, we hear our customers each time they express their frustration over delays and releases dates not being met.  Let me remind everyone we are a small firm.  We do not have 20+ developers working for us so we have to prioritize our work. 

1.) The original version for FSX, FSX Steam, and P3D 1 to 3 took 2 YEARS to develop.  The product as it stands works for those sims. 

2.) When P3D v4 was released we had to redo ALL the textures, which is the core of the product.  So what you are talking about is redoing what 2 years to develop all over again.  What that entails is fixing the texture, putting it into the sim and seeing if that fixed it.  If not we have repeat that process until the texture is complete and ready.  There are 15 GIGS of textures.  That just doesn't happen overnight.

Just as a reminder WE ARE NOT OBLIGATED to make a product work for the next simulator.  There is no written law that states we have to support the next version of a simulator.  This has been assumed and it is not right to place this demand on developers.  

In reality, we should charge a fee for the update and the man hours, but we are giving this as a FREE update to all customers.

Where things stands now, we are about to finish the third cycle of beta testing.  This included not just our beta team, but also our Insider Program.  Provided there are no major issues our next step will be to prepare the product for deployment.

The consistent updates to Prepar3D has put a lot of extra work on our team that was never there 5 years ago.  Also, we originally only had 1 product to update in the past.  Now we have:

• REX 4 Texture Direct
  • REX 4 Soft Clouds
  • WX Advantage Radar
  • REX Worldwide Airports
  • REX Sky Force

So having these many products to keep up to date with a small team can be quite a challenge.  So some are asking why has it taken so long for SIMAIR and some other things to get done.  It is because every time there is a change in a sim, each one of these products has to be re-tested.  Then if something needs to be fixed we have to drop what we are working on and fix it. 

I am not writing this to sound like we are victims here, but to merely communicate our perspective.  Our goal is to satisfy our customers, but understand we have limited resources and things cannot happen overnight.  

Out of curiosity, what is going to be added in REX Soft Clouds? It works pretty well as is. Unless, of course, you add different cloud layers ;)

On 7/20/2018 at 2:40 PM, rstough said:

• REX 4 Texture Direct
  • REX 4 Soft Clouds
  • WX Advantage Radar
  • REX Worldwide Airports
  • REX Sky Force

:wub:  Keep up the good work.

Bob M.

7/23/2018 -

We will be completing our testing today with both the Insider Program as well as our beta team.  If all phases of testing are complete we will start the Deployment Phase of this update for release.  We will keep everyone advised this week.

• Like 1

Keep up the good work. I am still flying happily in P3D v4.3. Could be happier with the REX wwap, but better in a good environment which is well developed and took some more time than one which still has many glitches.

Hans

REX WORLDWIDE AIRPORTS HD - STATUS UPDATE: PRE-DEPLOYMENT PHASE

7/28/2018 -

We are VERY excited to announce that we will be releasing Worldwide Airports Technical Update 3 on Wednesday, August 1st.  This will be a mandatory update for all users of Worldwide Airports.  This update will include the compatibility fix for P3D v4 +.

The official fix list will be released on Monday.

For more direct discussion follow us on our dedicated discord channel:  https://discord.gg/2BvRRda

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2