andy1252

CLOSED Are these clouds correct?

I have just last week installed my TD/SC Enhanced Edition upgrade. I posted a query/thank you about the files installed and so I'm happy that all the correct files got installed on to my system successfully, but I have been trying various options and in just about all cases it feels like something may be wrong with my install.

I have included some pictures of various weather settings, supposedly using cloud sets 15 and 31. The clouds I'm getting, or at least the Cumulus clouds, are firstly nothing like the images I see in the TD application when I select the respective cloud sets, and secondly, to my eyes look pretty awful and much more like the bad old default FSX/P3D clouds. Certainly not up to the quality I had from TD/SC prior to the upgrade.

Is it possible that I am getting incorrect textures loaded? Should I try uninstall/reinstall of the entire TD/SC environment? These shots are all P3Dv3, no weather app running, and using a variety of either standard P3D or ORBX weather settings ("Cold Fronts", "Fair Weather" etc).

And lastly, if these shots do truly represent the new Cumulus files that came with the enhanced edition, is there any way I can install TD/SC to P3Dv4 without these new Cumulus textures (i.e. with my old texture set)?

Thanks in advance

SKI6rYn.jpg

96o5mIx.jpg

14OVoTM.jpg

ZyWRDku.jpg

0f24RAp.jpg

Ya1ZylU.jpg

qJLDo0M.jpg

YEoTtTj.jpg

Thank you so much for posting these screenshots.  I am also having the same issue with the "low level" clouds.  I have tried many different packs (so many I can't remember them all) and I also am getting nothing but the "popcorn" style low level clouds.  I am thinking something did not install correctly for me either.

I'm also using Active Sky, but have been testing with it disabled, and only using fair weather and cold fronts.  I still get the same popcorn effect regardless of the theme or the cloud set I select.

Hi,

First you have to understand that Texture Direct (or any derivative of that) is not in itself a weather generator, the key to creating the way clouds are formed in-sim. 

Next, whatever modifications you have installed for shaders etc. will influence the light and shadow coloring and appearance.

30 minutes ago, timest999 said:

Hi,

First you have to understand that Texture Direct (or any derivative of that) is not in itself a weather generator, the key to creating the way clouds are formed in-sim. 

Next, whatever modifications you have installed for shaders etc. will influence the light and shadow coloring and appearance.

Hi, I accept that TD is not a weather product, and understand your comment about shaders. But my point/question is that before the update, with everything else being set up in exactly the same way, I was getting much more realistic results from the previous version of TD/SC and now I seem to have rather unpleasant popcorn clouds. Plus, as I said, what I get in my sim looks nothing like the example TD shows me when I select a cloud-set. So my original question remains, that is to say do these screens show what you would expect me to see?

Update!  I was able to resolve my issue!

I was also noticing cloud clipping the ground, and changed the "P3D Low Cloud Offset" option in ActiveSky from 0 to 500.  This not only fixed my clipping issue, but also got rid of the popcorn clouds.  Give this a try Andy and see if it resolves the issue for you as well!

10 hours ago, abrexus said:

and changed the "P3D Low Cloud Offset" option in ActiveSky from 0 to 500.

Hi AB, no AS in any form, or PTA or other shader mods, in those shots, just REX and vanilla P3D. I did go back and turn on PTA to reduce the popcorn effect but still feels like a bit of a backward step to the pre-enhanced version. I'll continue to experiment though.

It's clearly obvious that there is some sort of shader modifications going on in your shots posted above, not just REX and vanilla etc.

2 hours ago, timest999 said:

It's clearly obvious that there is some sort of shader modifications going on in your shots posted above, not just REX and vanilla etc.

I was fairly certain that I didn't have any PTA stuff active at the time, but I'm willing to accept that in all the messing around it might be possible that I let something get by me. My PTA settings are quite minimal though anyway (mostly just sharpen and colour tint). My real question, and it is only a question - I'm very pleased to have my TD/SC back and available for v4 so don't take any of this as criticism, was, in effect, "is this what I should expect to see?" after the upgrade. Even if I had left my PTA settings in place, they would have been the same settings I was using previously and I wasn't getting this popcorn effect before. I have changed nothing, just installed the TD/SC EE upgrade. The most confusing thing is that what I am getting in the sim looks nothing like the examples used to illustrate the cloud sets chosen.

Especially as this is not even in P3DV4, but just using TD/SC Enhanced Edition in P3DV3 as I have been doing for a couple of years now, very happily.

I will continue to experiment, but meantime, if it's apparent that I'm doing something stupid then I'm happy to be told what to do to correct that. It has been known <grin> (likewise, if I've misunderstood anything about the mechanisms of these texture sets in general, I'm open to correction)

Edited by andy1252
edit text

I am just checking in to see if the issue you are experiencing has been resolved?

Hi Reed,

sorry to say I never did get things resolved, and for now I'm using ASCA for clouds and REX for everything else. When everything has settled down and I've got all my other little bits and pieces all sorted in P3Dv4 I'll probably come  back and try and resolve this, as I was always more than happy with all the REX cloud textures in the past and I'm certainly seeing other folks screenshots on the ORBX forum where they are apparently not getting the same sort of clouds I seem to be unable to avoid.

So I'm resolved in that I've got a sky I'm happy to fly in, but I haven't figured out what's going on with my REX setup and at the moment I don't have the time or brain cells to figure it out (big project in RL). But thanks for getting back to check this out - appreciated!

cheers,

Andy