Jump to content
rstough

ANNOUNCEMENT REX RESPONSE TO XP11, FSW, AND P3DV4

Recommended Posts

PJH2    1

I have REX TD HD and would like to know how much longer before the hot fixes are released?  I'm not at all interested in any of the new stuff as I like my weather engine I have now.  All I want is the TD HD thank you.

Will this hotfix be released before the end of the year?  If not then I go somewhere else for my textures.  It seems to me REX is trying to push these new products on people who may not want them.  TD HD is a good fit for me.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dog4Zero    7
12 hours ago, rstough said:

Environment Force and Weather Force will come much later and will only add to REX Sky Force.  We will reveal more later.  REX Sky Force is all you need for your complete weather and sky package.  REX Worldwide Airports is what you need for airport package.

That's great, but what about water textures.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
badwolfx    0
On 24 June 2017 at 7:38 AM, PJH2 said:

I have REX TD HD and would like to know how much longer before the hot fixes are released?  I'm not at all interested in any of the new stuff as I like my weather engine I have now.  All I want is the TD HD thank you.

Will this hotfix be released before the end of the year?  If not then I go somewhere else for my textures.  It seems to me REX is trying to push these new products on people who may not want them.  TD HD is a good fit for me.

 

I said the same thing last week and everyone jumped down my throat, saying 'be patient'. Well, while I was having to be patient, I downloaded 7 product hot fixes for all the other addons I'm committed too, most of them far more complex than REX textures and soft clouds, at least some suppliers got their acts together...... So, a week later I say again, "for god's sake hurry up with the fixes for the products you have out there NOW instead of fannying around with stuff you want to make more money out of us with!!"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RancidViper    11
On 24/06/2017 at 9:54 AM, rstough said:

See my comments in red above...

Thank you for this information! The plan is becoming a lot more clearer now.. Can't wait!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450
On 6/25/2017 at 0:35 PM, badwolfx said:

I said the same thing last week and everyone jumped down my throat, saying 'be patient'. Well, while I was having to be patient, I downloaded 7 product hot fixes for all the other addons I'm committed too, most of them far more complex than REX textures and soft clouds, at least some suppliers got their acts together...... So, a week later I say again, "for god's sake hurry up with the fixes for the products you have out there NOW instead of fannying around with stuff you want to make more money out of us with!!"

No offense taken, but you need to have a better gravity to the extent of work we have.

Just look at all the textures sizes, variations, effects and code that have to be loaded manually, tested and revised if applicable, and individually per products. Also, we are looking at about 60 to 80 gigs of material and in addition we have to make sure the programs handle all the backups / restores and movement properly. Most of these products are 3 to 6 years old. Most developers do not support their products this long. 

Here is an example listed here:

https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/announcement/3-latest-update-on-support-for-p3dv4/

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
badwolfx    0
1 hour ago, rstough said:

No offense taken, but you need to have a better gravity to the extent of work we have.

Just look at all the textures sizes, variations, effects and code that have to be loaded manually, tested and revised if applicable, and individually per products. Also, we are looking at about 60 to 80 gigs of material and in addition we have to make sure the programs handle all the backups / restores and movement properly. Most of these products are 3 to 6 years old. Most developers do not support their products this long. 

Here is an example listed here:

https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/announcement/3-latest-update-on-support-for-p3dv4/

 

I have no great knowledge in software development so I'll take you at your word. I would be first in the queue to buy the newer product... The frustration arises from neither the old or the new product being available when other, equally complicated products (I guess) managed conversion within first week of p3dv4 release. , so I shout for the old to be updated but would have preferred the new. Take it as a compliment, if the product wasn't so good then frustration would be zero and no cries for a speedy release would be made! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gets    22

Why? You are getting a free update for several applications. Why the sad news? Do you expect the developers that have offered you free support to have them ready the minute another flight sim updates their product without taking the responsibility of solid testing that the updates will work before releasing them? Other applications on the market that deal with weather, textures etc. have only to update one part of their application in the past. REX products stand behind and offer assistance for many applications that are years old. In the scheme of things in life, why is it so difficult to understand why they want to offer for FREE updates to years old applications. I can tell you why. They value their current and future customers far better than most other developers.

Please keep your flaming remarks to yourself. It's only my opinion. If you don't like what I said, go ahead and send me a personal message on this forum.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
herryjanto    5
5 hours ago, rstough said:

Most of these products are 3 to 6 years old. Most developers do not support their products this long. 

Here is an example listed here:

https://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/announcement/3-latest-update-on-support-for-p3dv4/

 

Hi Reed,

I appreciate all your hard work and I love your products as well. However, your last statement (quoted above), it is your choice to support so many products of yours for so long with so many platforms. You could have seen it coming yourself, by supporting so many products for so long for so many platforms, that will slow down any updates and development times. 

Again, I appreciate all the work but you should/could have seen this coming yourself.

looking forward for skyforce and I hope it will be worth the wait, it's been 1 year and I am putting off ASCA for this. and I hope this new product does not confuse me even more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davect2003    1

I understand the frustration, but I can say for certain that updating an airport or aircraft addon installer (most of which have not been recompiled for V4 yet) is a relatively tiny process when compared to what REX Products require (and do). I say this, even though I too hate the default cloud textures in V4.

REX has always produced top-end products that the flight sim community can rely on, and they have provided updates and support to products years after anyone thought they should - because they have have always put their customers and the good of the flight sim community first.

We can have it fast, or we can have the highest quality that many of us turn to REX for.  I'm certainly willing to wait to get that quality.

Best wishes to everyone!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gets    22

Hi Herryjanto. You make a very valid point. However, let's look at this from a different angle. When you buy a car, appliance etc. it comes with a certain warranty. Once that warranty has expired, you will have to be the one to pay for upgrades or repairs to those items. We are not talking apples to oranges here. Most of those companies are large and have a huge customer base and can afford to lose a customer if they feel they have a right to have the update or repairs even after the warranty has expired. REX and other developers for add on applications are very small in comparison. They depend on customer loyalty to maintain their base and can only wish that by providing support beyond the age of their product, their base will continue to purchase their new products they introduce to maintain their lively hood. Imagine the out cry we would hear from those that own REX products if they didn't offer free updates to their existing customer base. I imagine it would be much worse and more angry than the people that can't get their free update when THEY want it.

Thanks for your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
herryjanto    5
7 hours ago, gets said:

Hi Herryjanto. You make a very valid point. However, let's look at this from a different angle. When you buy a car, appliance etc. it comes with a certain warranty. Once that warranty has expired, you will have to be the one to pay for upgrades or repairs to those items. We are not talking apples to oranges here. Most of those companies are large and have a huge customer base and can afford to lose a customer if they feel they have a right to have the update or repairs even after the warranty has expired. REX and other developers for add on applications are very small in comparison. They depend on customer loyalty to maintain their base and can only wish that by providing support beyond the age of their product, their base will continue to purchase their new products they introduce to maintain their lively hood. Imagine the out cry we would hear from those that own REX products if they didn't offer free updates to their existing customer base. I imagine it would be much worse and more angry than the people that can't get their free update when THEY want it.

Thanks for your input.

Hi,

To be honest with you, I were to choose free update or pay a small amount, I would choose free update. But I have to be honest with myself. If I buy a product that stated it will work with FSX and FSXSE and P3D V3 for example, I couldn't expect the developer to give me a free upgrade to V4. The contract I signed (by purchasing) was for P3DV3, if the developer wants to charge for a upgrade then it is in their own right and I am not obliged to pay that. I find it irritating with the attitude of most people nowadays who demands for a free update or a discount (because of past customer). I mean, again, I would want the free upgrade or discount but I wouldn't demand it or nag about it. 

I do understand the problem you mentioned above but I run a business myself and it's not big and I have had a few customers who demands stuff. For me, I would rather cut them lose than having to deal with them and it's not that I don't want to deal with problems whatsoever. But these kind of customers will only give me problem now and in the future and their purchase it's not in proportion with the time it cost me to deal with them. I rather deal with reasonable customers out there and they are there. And when we provide a good service, guarantee people will return. Which I know REX has always given a good service.

On the other side, it is true REX has not taken my money for the upgrade nor that they owe me anything to stick to their deadline. But 'promising' a deadline on customers and miss them, it's not a good idea or impression. I rather not give any deadline or idea to my customers if I know highly likely I wouldn't be able to fulfil it. For example, the attitude of Aerosoft of being open and missing so many deadlines, it's tiring to me. All the above, it's just my opinion, my apology if I offended anyone.

Again, I would like to stress it that I do appreciate all the work and services you provided. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gets    22

"I do understand the problem you mentioned above but I run a business myself and it's not big and I have had a few customers who demands stuff. For me, I would rather cut them lose than having to deal with them and it's not that I don't want to deal with problems whatsoever. But these kind of customers will only give me problem now and in the future and their purchase it's not in proportion with the time it cost me to deal with them. I rather deal with reasonable customers out there and they are there. And when we provide a good service, guarantee people will return. Which I know REX has always given a good service."

Herryjanto: I also owned my own business. I was a commercial HVAC contractor with 12 trucks on the road. I totally agree with you regarding your statement above. Thanks for the intelligent chat. Refreshing.

Bob G.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
honanhal    0

I'm also deeply confused...

I've been using REX Essentials for my FSX installation. It's been great, doing exactly what I need (cloud and sky textures). I don't use the weather engine.

I'm going to make the move to P3D v4 imminently. As I understand it, 1) REX Essentials is not compatible, 2) it is not clear that it will ever be updated to be compatible, 3) there's currently no P3D v4 compatible REX product that does what I need (cloud and sky textures) and 4) it is not clear when there will be. Is that right? Have I misunderstood?

REX textures are the best in the business, and I don't watch to switch to your competitor. But if there's nothing from REX that's available in the near-to-medium future...

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walterg74    2
4 minutes ago, honanhal said:

I'm also deeply confused...

I've been using REX Essentials for my FSX installation. It's been great, doing exactly what I need (cloud and sky textures). I don't use the weather engine.

I'm going to make the move to P3D v4 imminently. As I understand it, 1) REX Essentials is not compatible, 2) it is not clear that it will ever be updated to be compatible, 3) there's currently no P3D v4 compatible REX product that does what I need (cloud and sky textures) and 4) it is not clear when there will be. Is that right? Have I misunderstood?

REX textures are the best in the business, and I don't watch to switch to your competitor. But if there's nothing from REX that's available in the near-to-medium future...

James

No, you didn't understand anything. 

 

As per the latest status update, REX 4 TD and Soft Clouds will be releasing very soon, early July. 

Edited by walterg74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
gets    22

Plus the Weather Force products will be replacing REX Essentials if the developer decides not to update it. The replacement engine etc. will be revolutionary and will be worth the wait.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
baptista    5

Just to comment, I have all REX products (FSX, XPlane and P3D) since its first release. Throughout these years, I have always been well attended to in my doubts by the support team. These various adds gave an extra boost to FSX and enriched newer platforms, such as P3D.
Since the end of May, 64-bit innovation has challenged several add-on vendors to upgrade their products. A wide range of options has been opened to further enhance the simulation. Some charging for services, I think fair, and others not. Anyway, in the last two months, several have been renewed and work well. Others will be coming soon to enrich our hobby. Patience is a virtue. I look forward to my REX textures calmly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
honanhal    0
3 hours ago, walterg74 said:

No, you didn't understand anything. 

 

As per the latest status update, REX 4 TD and Soft Clouds will be releasing very soon, early July. 

Thanks, Walter. Great! I'm looking for replacement sky and cloud textures, as I mentioned. What product (or products) will do that? In other words, what's the replacement for REX Essentials? REX 4 TD?

James

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walterg74    2
6 minutes ago, honanhal said:

Thanks, Walter. Great! I'm looking for replacement sky and cloud textures, as I mentioned. What product (or products) will do that? In other words, what's the replacement for REX Essentials? REX 4 TD?

James

For sky and cloud textures yes, you have REX 4 TD, REX Soft Clouds (which is just low level clouds, a little "better" than what's included with REX 4 TD, which also has them anyway) or the best option in that line, which is the all-in-one "REX 4 TD w/Soft Clouds" 

That seems like it will be out shortly (well the product itself already is, what's coming shortly is the upgrade for P3D v4 compatibility) or if you can wait a bit more the new products. 

Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
markh55    4

why would you have  sale on your product if your products are not ready for all the sims that run 64 bit  ? ever since prepar3d v4  and aerofly fs2  came out  thats all i fly  i dumped fsx steam edition  it just cant compare to 64 bit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walterg74    2
Just now, markh55 said:

why would you have  sale on your product if your products are not ready for all the sims that run 64 bit  ? ever since prepar3d v4  and aerofly fs2  came out  thats all i fly  i dumped fsx steam edition  it just cant compare to 64 bit 

Do you think EVERYONE rushes out to buy the new P3D? A lot of people don't even have (or even care for) the OLDER version of P3D...

What a head-up-one's-ass comment...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450
On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 11:38 PM, PJH2 said:

I have REX TD HD and would like to know how much longer before the hot fixes are released?  I'm not at all interested in any of the new stuff as I like my weather engine I have now.  All I want is the TD HD thank you.

Will this hotfix be released before the end of the year?  If not then I go somewhere else for my textures.  It seems to me REX is trying to push these new products on people who may not want them.  TD HD is a good fit for me.

 

Within a week or so.  We giving our beta team the final version of REX Soft Clouds this week to test for P3Dv4.  Texture Direct and Texture Direct with Soft Clouds will be after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adamski_NZ    7

Walter, I think you need to take a "chill pill".

Though I must admit to being confused about the overlap of [new] products/features, I sympathise with the REX developers in respect of sliding deadlines - or announcing them at all. You're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm heavily involved with ORBX, and they have a policy of NEVER announcing deadlines - but then, maybe they're not in a situation of a whole rash of similar products coming out and "stealing" their user-base.

Even today, there's not a single add-on *airport* from ORBX that's finished P3Dv4 testing. All the main regions/areas are done, but no airports. Users are (politely) told in the forums to "expect it when you see it". Most old/loyal customers know that it's not going to be a *huge* wait, so they just let them get on with it.

As many people have said, I'd rather have a fully working update (when it comes) than something rushed and buggy - which then creates hours of wasted support time, slowing down the update process even further.

Adam.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
greg    0

Hi,

On 01/07/2017 at 3:31 AM, Adamski_NZ said:

As many people have said, I'd rather have a fully working update (when it comes) than something rushed and buggy - which then creates hours of wasted support time, slowing down the update process even further.

+1: as often, it is necessary to recall the common sense :)

Thanks for your products REX Team!

Edited by greg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • See our many awards!

×