Jump to content
rstough

ANNOUNCEMENT REX RESPONSE TO XP11, FSW, AND P3DV4

Recommended Posts

rstough    450
Dear REX Customers and Flight Simmers -
 
With the release of Laminar's Xplane 11, AeroFly 2, Dovetail's Flight Sim World, and the upcoming expected release of Lockheed Martin's P3Dv4 we felt it necessary to address our thoughts on each upcoming platform.
 
These are exciting and somewhat scary times. Exciting in that we can remember some very dry times when only one platform was available. It is great to see such a resurgence in this genre. Scary in that many of us have invested not just $100's, but some of us $1000's of dollars into add-ons and hardware. So the question is "will what I have invested in, work in the future?"
 
We are committed to providing support of these platforms as much as possible. Though our development team, as of right now, has been focused on finishing several new products, it is our goal to advance our technology further to try to give the best experience possible for the past as well as the new platforms.
 
We have been in contact with each developer group and it is our goal to maintain a reasonable working relationship that goes well into the future. Each platform will offer its own unique challenges and we aim to try to meet those challenges by providing a greater sense of reality in the environment that surrounds us within the sim.
 
Your investment is our investment. We will continue to strive to meet the need as they develop.
 
Sincerely,
The REX Management Team
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Fooshman    0

Well team... Big things happening, so in light of the latest announcements what do you feel has the best potential future path personally? I have all your products in P3Dv3.4 and most likely will continue with V4.. But I'm very seriously looking at XP11 (FSW isn't even a consideration, I'm not sold on their commitment to our hobby) 

Do you guys have a preferred style one that you can see you can do more with? Push the envelope further? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plugger69    0

Hello REX,

As I have had some recent time away from Flight Sim or should I say Prepar3D recently, I have only recently come back into Prepar3D again and I hear about an imminent release of Prepar3D V4.

Based on your posting here, can I loosely and I would say correctly assume that on day 1 of Prepar3D V4 that any REX product for example as in REX Essentials Plus Overdrive, Texture Direct/Soft Clouds bundle, Texture Direct and Worldwide Airports HD won't work with Prepar3D V4 but that as per your posting, you will perhaps look to work with the developers and maintain a working relationship and that perhaps sometime after the launch of Prepar3D V4 the products as I mentioned might become available and compatible.

 

Cheers,

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450
11 hours ago, Fooshman said:

Well team... Big things happening, so in light of the latest announcements what do you feel has the best potential future path personally? I have all your products in P3Dv3.4 and most likely will continue with V4.. But I'm very seriously looking at XP11 (FSW isn't even a consideration, I'm not sold on their commitment to our hobby) 

Do you guys have a preferred style one that you can see you can do more with? Push the envelope further? 

First, thank you for your support of REX.  Unfortunately, it is a tough call right now to say which is the best direction to go as far as flight simulator platforms go.  I would not necessarily count out FSW right now.  I think there is a lot of uproar right now, but some of it is just dribble.   So for now I would keep an eye on it.  Dovetail IS committed to the hobby it is just they are taking small bites at a time.   Obviously, P3D v4 is good, but honestly after testing it I am not seeing a huge jump from P3D 3.4 to 4 except more in the area of performance and some additional enhancements.   XP11 is a step in the right direction and they are always striving to improve.   So either platform you can't go wrong on.

As far as REX goes we see value in all of them.  But we still are cutting our teeth on the SDK's.  And as of now DTG has not released an SDK yet.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450
18 hours ago, Plugger69 said:

Hello REX,

As I have had some recent time away from Flight Sim or should I say Prepar3D recently, I have only recently come back into Prepar3D again and I hear about an imminent release of Prepar3D V4.

Based on your posting here, can I loosely and I would say correctly assume that on day 1 of Prepar3D V4 that any REX product for example as in REX Essentials Plus Overdrive, Texture Direct/Soft Clouds bundle, Texture Direct and Worldwide Airports HD won't work with Prepar3D V4 but that as per your posting, you will perhaps look to work with the developers and maintain a working relationship and that perhaps sometime after the launch of Prepar3D V4 the products as I mentioned might become available and compatible.

 

Cheers,

 

Chris

Thank you for your question.  We have had access to the programs for awhile.  We are in process of evaluating/testing which products will be compatible.  The purpose of our original statement is to say we aim to make as many as possible compatible as long as it doesn't involve a HUGE undertaking and re-writing of the core.

I can assure you that at least REX Texture Direct / Soft Clouds and REX Worldwide Airports will move ahead.  We are not sure about REX Essentials at this point, considering we are nearing release of Sky Force 3D!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Plugger69    0

Hi Rstough, 
 

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

I didn't even know about Sky Force 3D but just watched a youtube video of it and very impressive indeed !!!!

Any idea how long after launch of Prepar3D V4 when REX Texture Direct / Soft Clouds and REX Worldwide airports will be available and will owners of these products have to upgrade and pay for new versions to be compatible or will there be patch upgrades to be compatible with the new Prepar3D V4.
 

Cheers,

 

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
J van E    2

I see you mention Aerofly... Very interesting! Are you seriously thinking about supporting Aerofly FS 2? That would make my day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450

The following is a list of all the applications that REX Simulations offers and their current compatibility with the various platforms:

Product

AeroFly 2

XP11

FS2004

FSX

FSX – Steam

FS World

P3D v1

P3D v2

P3D v3

P3D v4

Upcoming Products

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

REX Sky Force 3D

IN REVIEW

IN REVIEW

NO

YES

YES

TBD**

YES

YES

YES

YES

REX Environment Force

IN REVIEW

IN REVIEW

NO

YES

YES

TBD**

YES

YES

YES

YES

REX Weather Force

IN REVIEW

IN REVIEW

NO

YES

YES

TBD**

YES

YES

YES

YES

REX SIMAIR

IN REVIEW

IN REVIEW

NO

YES

YES

TBD**

YES

YES

YES

TBD

Current Products

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

REX Worldwide Airports

NO

NO

NO

YES

YES

REQ HOTFIX

YES

YES

YES

REQ HOTFIX

REX 4 Texture Direct

NO

NO

NO

YES

YES

REQ HOTFIX

YES

YES

YES

REQ HOTFIX

REX 4 Soft Clouds

NO

NO

NO

YES

YES

REQ HOTFIX

YES

YES

YES

REQ HOTFIX

REX 4 Weather Architect

NO

NO

NO

YES

YES

TBD**

YES

YES

YES

TBD

REX Essentials + Overdrive

NO

NO

NO

YES

YES

TBD**

YES

YES

YES

TBD

REX FS2004 + Overdrive

NO

NO

YES

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

REX Soft Clouds for FS2004

NO

NO

YES

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

REX Xplane 9

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

NO

REX Latitude

NO

NO

NO

YES

YES

PHASE OUT

YES

YES

YES

PHASE OUT

WX Advantage Radar

NO

NO

NO

YES

YES

TBD**

NO

NO

YES

TBD

 

Definitions:

REQ HOTFIX: Means it will be compatible after a Hotfix is issued.  This will be a FREE update.

IN REVIEW: Means the platform is currently being investigated for potential imminent or future development.

TBD: Means that testing must be performed to determine if the application will be compatible.

PHASE OUT: Means the application will not developed further to support the platform.

**: Means that the Official SDK has not been issued for review yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450
11 hours ago, Plugger69 said:

Hi Rstough, 
 

Thanks for your response, much appreciated.

I didn't even know about Sky Force 3D but just watched a youtube video of it and very impressive indeed !!!!

Any idea how long after launch of Prepar3D V4 when REX Texture Direct / Soft Clouds and REX Worldwide airports will be available and will owners of these products have to upgrade and pay for new versions to be compatible or will there be patch upgrades to be compatible with the new Prepar3D V4.
 

Cheers,

 

Chris

REX Texture Direct, REX Soft Clouds, and REX Worldwide Airports will be compatible with P3D v4 and the update will be free.  REX Sky Force 3D will be compatible with P3D 4, as well as FSX, FSX Steam, and all versions of P3D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
campospinto    0

  One question
 REX 4 Texture Direct Steam:
 Receive free hotfix for FSW compatible, paid upgrade, or new product?
Thank you.


João Alfredo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ywg256    0

SIMAIR is the one I care about the most and would have no problems forking over $100.00 bucks for it.  I truly hope SIMAIR can finally get the attention it deserves after Sky Force 3D is out, which I will also be buying. PS, if you are looking for beta testers for SIMAIR I AM IN!!!!!. shit i would pay to be a beta tester for it...lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jjaycee    1

My purchases that will require a hotfix for v4 were made at Flighsimstore due to problems I had at the time with the REX store. How do I go about getting the Hotfixes as they will be issued here at REX and I don't have a REX order number only the FSS ones?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450
On ‎5‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 5:55 PM, campospinto said:

  One question
 REX 4 Texture Direct Steam:
 Receive free hotfix for FSW compatible, paid upgrade, or new product?
Thank you.


João Alfredo

REX 4 Texture Direct - Steam Edition is a custom product made specifically for FSX Steam for Dovetail.  There will not be any upgrade process for it, because of the agreement we have with Dovetail/Value.  Not much we can do about it, because of how we had to custom program it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:35 AM, ywg256 said:

SIMAIR is the one I care about the most and would have no problems forking over $100.00 bucks for it.  I truly hope SIMAIR can finally get the attention it deserves after Sky Force 3D is out, which I will also be buying. PS, if you are looking for beta testers for SIMAIR I AM IN!!!!!. shit i would pay to be a beta tester for it...lol...

Yes it will.  Thank you for your support of the product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450
13 hours ago, jjaycee said:

My purchases that will require a hotfix for v4 were made at Flighsimstore due to problems I had at the time with the REX store. How do I go about getting the Hotfixes as they will be issued here at REX and I don't have a REX order number only the FSS ones?

The hotfixes will be provided through the application itself.  We will provide a full updated version to each vendor.  Also, we will provide the patches here through our support forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walterg74    2
On ‎5‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 4:56 PM, rstough said:

Thank you for your question.  We have had access to the programs for awhile.  We are in process of evaluating/testing which products will be compatible.  The purpose of our original statement is to say we aim to make as many as possible compatible as long as it doesn't involve a HUGE undertaking and re-writing of the core.

I can assure you that at least REX Texture Direct / Soft Clouds and REX Worldwide Airports will move ahead.  We are not sure about REX Essentials at this point, considering we are nearing release of Sky Force 3D!

 

I know more than likely you won't be able to say exact details, but is there an *approximate* time frame for the skyforce/force products?  Are we talking about months? weeks?

 

Also, looking at the chart, has it been explained anywhere what the difference is between all those new products?? 

REX Sky Force 3D

 

               

 

REX Environment Force

 

               

 

REX Weather Force

 

 

               

 

REX SIMAIR

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450
4 hours ago, walterg74 said:

 

I know more than likely you won't be able to say exact details, but is there an *approximate* time frame for the skyforce/force products?  Are we talking about months? weeks?

 

Also, looking at the chart, has it been explained anywhere what the difference is between all those new products?? 

REX Sky Force 3D

 

               

 

REX Environment Force

 

               

 

REX Weather Force

 

 

               

 

REX SIMAIR

We are NOT talking months for Sky Force.  

REX Sky Force 3D - is a complete rewrite of the cloud and weather system which includes a complete replacement of the Cloud Models within the sim.  More coming soon.

REX Environment / Weather Force - is an platform that allows us to modify most environmental and weather elements on the fly while in the sim.  We will have more on this later also.

REX SIMAIR - here is a link to the information about this product:  http://rexsimulations.com/simair.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walterg74    2

Thanks, good to know about the times. 

 

Now would you mind explaining again but in dummy terms what the force lineof productsne is? Cause you say skyforce is weather, but then weather force is weather, etc..

 

would skyforce be an equivelant of weather engine + REX Td and/or soft clouds?

Is environment/weather force just a dynamic changer for the above? 

Sorry for re-asking but not clear to me what each product does 

thanks!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Adamski_NZ    7

I must admit I'm a little confused as well.

Currently, I use OPUS to inject live weather (and associated turbulence etc.) as interpreted from live METAR data. Will Skyforce do something similar - thus rendering my OPUS obsolete?

Adam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rstough    450

Thank you everyone for your questions about each product.  I would like to give more information about each product and what it does, but until we get officially into pre-deployment of the product I can't share anymore specifics about the products.  

In the past we were very open about the details of our products and because of that it allowed our competition to take our ideas and run with them. So for now we have to keep pretty tight chested in that these items have been in development for over several years and involve huge investments in time and money.

We will be releasing information about REX Sky Force 3D in the very near term. These products will likely be the crown jewels of REX as a company as a whole.

Again I am very sorry to be so vague at the moment.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PJH2    1

Please forgive me, I'm sure this has been asked several times and I can't find it, but I have REX TD HD, I see that a hotifx will be released through the app itself, I like that.  Just wondering when.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
walterg74    2
11 hours ago, rstough said:

Thank you everyone for your questions about each product.  I would like to give more information about each product and what it does, but until we get officially into pre-deployment of the product I can't share anymore specifics about the products.  

In the past we were very open about the details of our products and because of that it allowed our competition to take our ideas and run with them. So for now we have to keep pretty tight chested in that these items have been in development for over several years and involve huge investments in time and money.

We will be releasing information about REX Sky Force 3D in the very near term. These products will likely be the crown jewels of REX as a company as a whole.

Again I am very sorry to be so vague at the moment.

 

 

I understand and respect your decision, however, keep in mind that the reason we ask is to consider our purchases and evaluate which product to buy..,, if I know you product "x" does such and such, and is out in "y" weeks/months I can make an informed decision to decide to wait or buy a different product.  Seems like there's gotta be a simple description that could be given that "potential competitors"? Would not really do much woth whike at the same time informing users. But of course, I'm nobody to tell you how to run your things. 

 

Cheers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that we try to get detailed informations about what and how but only:

- Sky Force is Cloud Textures (and can be run with 3rd party Weather injection)

- Weather Force is our new improoved weather engine (can be run with any cloud textures)

- Environment Force combines the 2 of the above and gives max experience

That's it!

(Above listing is my personal example of what I'd expect to get as an answer.)

And by all means, if you are so close on releasing Sky Force you should be able to talk about it because if you fear that other dev's can steal and implement those ideas into their product and release it before you (or shortly after), then either they had the same idea with the same or slight other approach or you guys make a poor job taking forever to develop that feature (<- this latest is a joke since development takes a lot of time and your products mostly rock).

 

Regards

PS: I decided not to purchase REX4TD+SC and wait for the "revolution".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
michelh    0

I have switch to X-Plane 11 and will continue to use this platform since for me has better performance and now with there new menus it is much easier to use. I have purchase almost all of REX products for FSX and P3D and now waiting X-Plane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • See our many awards!

×