POR930

RESOLVED Small hangers with no doors

When you go to the stock airport YBTL, it is a general and military airport. The military hangers, which are more like big open car ports covering the fighters, have no walls as such, just large roofs that hang over. Since installing worldwide airports HD, these open hangers have become closed hangers with no fighters being displayed now.

Is there a type of hanger that is like a car port? and failing this, can I revert back to the old airport textures for this airport, so that the military guys can get their aircraft in/out? 

Edited by POR930

Hi Geoff,

Which airport in question and we will take a look.

13 hours ago, timest999 said:

Hi Geoff,

Which airport in question and we will take a look.

Hi Tim,

As stated above, the Civilian/RAAF base is YBTL, In Townsville, QLD  Australia. There are 10 hangers in 2 circles of 5. I guess they are the modern uptake of the old nissen huts of yesteryear. See the attached images. As you can see, with no doors, you can easily park in there. 

YBTL MILITARY HANGER.JPG

YBTL MILITARY HANGER2.JPG

Hi Geoff, 

I'm sorry I didn't respond sooner in your thread here, but we were never notified of updates so I apologize. 

I did in fact check YBTL and this airport is stock and it contains no special buildings as illustrated within your photos, rather closed hangars. Did you have any special add-on installed for that airport?

Thanks for the reply Tim,

The photos are the actual RAAF hangers at YBTL. I had a look at my FSX Addon Scenery/scenery folder and I can see in the Scenery folder I do have a YBTL_ADEX_JG.bgl  file and it must have updated the stock YBTL RAAF hangers to the open type. Interesting though, now I have installed REX HD airports, it appears to have been relegated down the load order and ignored, and overwritten by REX?? 

So, when I installed REX Worlwide airports HD, does it must allow FSX/Addon Scenery to load, but does REX over-ride the Addon Scenery/Scenery BGL sceneries?

Is there a way to isolate the REX Worldwide Airports load to allow scenery BGL files? or is it all or nothing? 

Hi Geoff,

1 hour ago, POR930 said:

The photos are the actual RAAF hangers at YBTL.

Yep, I figured that. ;)

1 hour ago, POR930 said:

I had a look at my FSX Addon Scenery/scenery folder and I can see in the Scenery folder I do have a YBTL_ADEX_JG.bgl  file and it must have updated the stock YBTL RAAF hangers to the open type.

I figured that as well since the default doesn't contain the open-types. 

1 hour ago, POR930 said:

it appears to have been relegated down the load order and ignored, and overwritten by REX?? 

No, REX simply overwrites which textures are called from the simulator. The only models we overwrite are the default airport vehicles.

1 hour ago, POR930 said:

So, when I installed REX Worlwide airports HD, does it must allow FSX/Addon Scenery to load, but does REX over-ride the Addon Scenery/Scenery BGL sceneries?

I will have to get back on this, just to be 100% sure.

Thank you for your patience.

Thanks Tim, No hurry at all.

So, REX ignores calls by addon airports, because they use their own textures. You would think then REX would ignore the BGL files in addon scenery/scenery...Ummm, I thought FSX loaded the scenery and if there was a BGL file in addon/scenery, it would then append the stock scenery area with the new BGL...meaning to me, REX sees FSX calling up textures? But I am not sure on the load priority. 

OK, I have a steam version of FSX on a separate machine. I will look at the hangers in the stock YBTL, then I will apply the BGL scenery I have and see what it does to the hangers.

Edited by POR930

Hi again Geoff, I have confirmed REX WWA does in fact ignore BGL files in scenery/scenery etc. 

6 hours ago, timest999 said:

Hi again Geoff, I have confirmed REX WWA does in fact ignore BGL files in scenery/scenery etc. 

Hi Tim,

As I do not have an addon airport for YBTL, I will use the following example for YSSY.....

Because my FSX loads an addon airport, YSSY from Addon Scenery and therefore does not load a stock YSSY airport, REX WWA does not load any REX features, because FSX did not call the stock YSSY to trigger a REX action.... 

When there is no YSSY addon airport in Addon Scenery, but there is a YSSY BGL file in the Addon/Scenery/Scenery, FSX will call up the stock airport textures, and appends them with the Addon/Scenery/Scenery YSSY BGL file textures. Would this stock airport trigger REX WWA to overwite modified BGL stock textures with WWA features!

Maybe REX WWA is smart enough to see the stock airport textures have been called, BUT with an appended BGL file and therefore REX WWA does not load any of its WAA features for this stock airport.

Sorry to keep referring to the trigger action, but this is the key to when REX WWA does or does not injects some or all of its textures. 

Thank you for your patience.  Tim will be getting back to you shortly.  

I am just checking in to see if the issue you are experiencing has been resolved?

1 hour ago, rstough said:

I am just checking in to see if the issue you are experiencing has been resolved?

Hi Reed,

No, the question has not been resolved, well, at least for me. Tims' answer was sort of , 'yes we have no bananas'...I did not understand what Tims answer, "I have confirmed REX WWA does in fact ignore BGL files in scenery/scenery etc." 

My question, with new highlites was:

"When there is no YSSY addon airport in Addon Scenery, but there is a YSSY BGL file in the Addon/Scenery/Scenery, FSX will call up the stock airport textures, and appends them with the Addon/Scenery/Scenery YSSY BGL file textures. Would this stock airport trigger REX WWA to overwite modified BGL stock textures with WWA features?" 

And..."Maybe REX WWA is smart enough to see the stock airport textures have been called, BUT with an appended BGL file and therefore REX WWA does not load any of its WAA features for this stock airport."

Many flight sim users would have BGL files in their addon/scenery/scenery folder. I wondered if the presence of these files, caused REX WWA to not load its textures? I could not see in the user manual, any mention about the REX WWA texture load process, so that users could decide how to structure their airport files. Would the following summary set out the rules for REX WWA texture load?

• Addon Scenery present = NO REX WWA load of their textures, including vehicles
  • Addon Scenery/Scenery BGL files present = NO REX WWA load of their textures, including vehicles
  • No Addon Scenery or  Addon Scenery/Scenery BGL files present = YES REX WWA load of their textures.( I would imagine, this is the standard load of REX WWA)

I must say Reed, when I opened an airport the other day, my first thought taxing in was, did not know I had an addon airport for this place, then realised it was a REX WWA. 

Hi Geoff, 

I have in fact alerted another developer on-board to take a look at this issue further. I truly thank you for your patience.

Thanks for the reply Tim. Yes, it would be good to get a definitive statement that REX WW Airports loads X textures under what A,B,C... scenery conditions.

Now I have my FSX machine with REX WWA and steam FSX machine without REX WWA working again, I will compare same airports with and without addon scenery/scenery.

Look forward to your developers comments.

Hi POR930
I was curious to see this myself so I opened  FSXA default YBTL with ADE *(Airport Design Editor) This tool if you are unfamiliar is a utility editor to verify edit and modify installed airports.  I opened up YBTL to verify default airport buildings both with REX Word Wide Airport HD installed then totally uninstalling FSXA reinstalling with a clean FSXA install no third party ad-dons (World Wide Airport).

As you can see with the following screenshots 
FSXA With "World Wide Airports HD" and with clean install 

As you can see the buildings are "Generic Ridge Roof" as well if you notice the drawing layer have not changed and with my experience in editing airports this drawing layer would have changed... Although I can not truly verify that the layer would it only has done so in my experiance.
Also illustrated is a screen shot of the hangers in question taken after clean install... 

All that "World Wide Airports HD" Modify or effect building wise are the Texture Sheets or how they look not the shape size or type. 

What I do and highly recommend is four times a year is remove FSX or all sims and clean install. This will ensure a clean and smooth running Sim with better performance. 

Dreamer

1st shot World Wide Airports installed
2nd Shot FSXA Clean install
3rd Shot Is YBTL Screen shot clean FSXA with WWA HD un
installed

with WWA.jpg

Clean.jpg

screen shot.jpg

Edited by Yardreamer

Thanks for the research Dreamer. If I can comments backwards to post. Yes, agree, that Flight Sim does need removing and the drive cleaning every so often (4 times a year sounds a tad much^^^). 

And, on that subject...maybe due to age, my 7 year old FSX machine has had a clicking noise from a drive or the power unit every so often, and has been there for a few months (but working fine) and now stopped, but swapped for a bad case of the kernel power crash. So, a major update and rebuild is planned over the next few weeks. Brings up the usual questions, P3D? retain Win7? what MB, CPU etc.... Anyway, back on topic.....

The stock YBTL would be an ideal candidate for REX WWA textures to load, so I would presume it would load the WWA textures if REX WWA is installed, and not so, if not installed. And yes, I am familiar with ADE. Because REX WWA loads textures and not "walls", would ADE indicate the new REX WWA textures in one of its layers? 

My question is, if I have a modified YBTL BGL file for the airport in the addon scenery/scenery folder, REX WWA will do one of the following:

• See this as an addon airport, and bypass it, leaving my BGL modified YBTL buildings as they were, including original textures. 
  • It will apply its textures to my modified version of the airport.
  • It will ignore my BGL file and present the stock version of the airport. 

Because of the death of my FSX machine, which has REX WWA loaded, I can not test this for several weeks, but when I get going again, I will remove my YBTL BGL file and REX WWA . Get a pic of the stock airport, which will be the same as yours above. Load the BGL file into the scenery/scenery folder, get another pic of the modified airport. Then load REX WWA, and get a pic of the REX WWA version of YBTL. The three pics will give me my answer.

16 hours ago, POR930 said:

Thanks for the research Dreamer. If I can comments backwards to post. Yes, agree, that Flight Sim does need removing and the drive cleaning every so often (4 times a year sounds a tad much^^^). 

And, on that subject...maybe due to age, my 7 year old FSX machine has had a clicking noise from a drive or the power unit every so often, and has been there for a few months (but working fine) and now stopped, but swapped for a bad case of the kernel power crash. So, a major update and rebuild is planned over the next few weeks. Brings up the usual questions, P3D? retain Win7? what MB, CPU etc.... Anyway, back on topic.....

The stock YBTL would be an ideal candidate for REX WWA textures to load, so I would presume it would load the WWA textures if REX WWA is installed, and not so, if not installed. And yes, I am familiar with ADE. Because REX WWA loads textures and not "walls", would ADE indicate the new REX WWA textures in one of its layers? 

My question is, if I have a modified YBTL BGL file for the airport in the addon scenery/scenery folder, REX WWA will do one of the following:

• See this as an addon airport, and bypass it, leaving my BGL modified YBTL buildings as they were, including original textures. 
  • It will apply its textures to my modified version of the airport.
  • It will ignore my BGL file and present the stock version of the airport. 

Because of the death of my FSX machine, which has REX WWA loaded, I can not test this for several weeks, but when I get going again, I will remove my YBTL BGL file and REX WWA . Get a pic of the stock airport, which will be the same as yours above. Load the BGL file into the scenery/scenery folder, get another pic of the modified airport. Then load REX WWA, and get a pic of the REX WWA version of YBTL. The three pics will give me my answer.

Hi POR930
I am going to address what you have written (If my comments sound curt I apologize not my intention) 

"The stock YBTL would be an ideal candidate for REX WWA textures to load, so I would presume it would load the WWA textures if REX WWA is installed"...
WWA HD  will replace all generic airport building textures only except for  custom terminal buildings like as in  KLA and like the other default custom airports terminal buildings  they will not have the WWA HD improved textures. Although I understand REX will be customizing those terminal buildings  with later service packs. As for YBTL from what I observed there are no custom terminal buildings and those military hangers in question are generic default buildings the textures were replaced with selected theme...and 

See this as an addon airport, and bypass it, leaving my BGL modified YBTL buildings as they were, including original textures. 
this could possibly be a scenery priority issue... if you installed a custom airport open the add on scenery library  while in FSX or P3d and check the priority it must be cataloged above (a lower number) than the default scenery to overwrite the default scenery... WWA HD texture installation does not effect the add-on scenery library. 

It will apply its textures to my modified version of the airport.
no if the buildings are custom. yes if  generic default building were utilized in the scenery design...

It will ignore my BGL file and present the stock version of the airport.
the only BGL files that will be affected by WWA HD are the airport ground vehicles the  WWA HD custom  pushbacks  

I hope this helps a little... BUT I am sure once your up and running with new computer you will notice these aggravating issues disappear... 

Dreamer

Edited by Yardreamer

Hi Dreamer,

Sorry for my late reply, I normally reside in Australia, but I am currently in Japan for a few more weeks and should return some time early June...By this time my FSX machine will have been totally rebuilt and had to succumb for the Win10 over my previous Win7..and now with a i7 7700k, @ 4.8GHz, 1080 video.

I will reload FSX and all the other scenery, utilities and aircraft and go try some scenarios. Before I load up REX WWA, I will experiment with before and after the various permutations.  The YBTL BGL file I had originally loaded, had replaced these stock hangers with open hangers, like in real life, complete with parked fighters.  Since REX WWA HD, still with my YBTL BGL file loaded, it had reverted back to stock hangers, though some what jazzed up.

Anyway, no worries. When back in June and I have my machine back, (running sweet after a total rebuild)  I will report back.

Greetings POR930

Looking forward and hope this will be resolved for you...

As well looking at those hangers they would be a very easy model to build and could be done with the free Gmax that is included in your SDK on disk 1 of the FSX DVD's... Note though when you install Gmax the registration now directs you to  Autodesk not Turbosquid so you will need to go to https://www.turbosquid.com/RegisterGmax/Index.cfm to register and receive  the product activation  key, it is still free...
Best of Luck
Dreamer

We have not heard back from you in regards to your issue. Has the issue you addressed been resolved?

20 hours ago, rstough said:

We have not heard back from you in regards to your issue. Has the issue you addressed been resolved?

Hi Reed, Thanks for the reply. Because I have been in japan for the last three weeks, and still not got my new flight sim machine built, I have been unable to complete the testing of REX WW. If you want, you can close the issue and I can carry out the testing when I get my FS machine back some time middle to late June, and then if necessary, open a new issue. 

On 5/17/2017 at 0:59 AM, Yardreamer said:

Greetings POR930

Looking forward and hope this will be resolved for you...

As well looking at those hangers they would be a very easy model to build and could be done with the free Gmax that is included in your SDK on disk 1 of the FSX DVD's... Note though when you install Gmax the registration now directs you to  Autodesk not Turbosquid so you will need to go to https://www.turbosquid.com/RegisterGmax/Index.cfm to register and receive  the product activation  key, it is still free...
Best of Luck
Dreamer

Hi Dreamer, sorry for late reply, I have been away for three weeks and just returned today. Thanks for the advice. How does the free Gmax compare to ADE from flight sim developer? I have never used Gmax. is it similar to ADE, in that you download the stock airport, decompile and then create and place the object, then recompile again and place the relevant BGL file in the addon scenery/scenery folder?

Edited by POR930

5 hours ago, POR930 said:

Hi Dreamer, sorry for late reply, I have been away for three weeks and just returned today. Thanks for the advice. How does the free Gmax compare to ADE from flight sim developer? I have never used Gmax. is it similar to ADE, in that you download the stock airport, decompile and then create and place the object, then recompile again and place the relevant BGL file in the addon scenery/scenery folder?

Welcome back POR930
ADE is an airport editor used to modify and create airports "Aircraft Design Editor" it only places what models that are  in the scenery BGL folder already>>> By the way it is worth purchasing the pro licence for ADE.

Gmax is a 3D model tool that is used to create the 3D Models, buildings scenery and sim objects. Gmax is a very light and the freeware cousin of 3Ds MAX (expensive). There is also other freeware model tools but Gmax as far as I know has an easy interface with the FSX gamepack plug ins... Be prepared for a learning curve but with in a week you should have respectable looking models ready to go. 

With Gmax you will need texture software like Photo Shop (highly recommended) and a Model (mdl. to bgl.) conversion tool I recommend for freeware Arno's "Model Converter X" (recommended) for payware I use IS3 "Instant Scenery 3" IS3 has a library making tool and allows easy in sim placement and editing. as well allows creation of add-on scenery files. You can also use ADE to add in 3d models.

I hope this helps... keep in mind in case your unaware be patient with newly released sims (P3d V4 ect.)  some tools like IS3 and ADE may not be functional until patched. 

Best of Luck "Dreamer"

Ps Please don not hesitate to ask questions or ask for any help...