fltsimguy2

RESOLVED Install Procedure for REX Essentials and REX4 + Soft Clouds into P3Dv3

I'm sorry I don't understand what to do, but can someone please provide me with the procedure for installing REX Essentials w/od AND REX 4 TD + Soft Clouds into my P3Dv3.

I have REX Essential w/od version 3.8.2014.1126 AND REX 4 Texture Direct HD plus REX Soft Clouds.

I have these products installed in FSX.  I use REX Essentials for the weather engine [fly now] and I use REX 4 + Soft Clouds for my texture themes.

I recently purchased P3Dv3 (actually I am currently using 3.3 and have not yet done the 3.4 updating.

I have added all my scenery addons and a few planes to this new install.

I am ready to add my REX to P3Dv3.

I searched, read and tried to find out what the procedure was for installing Essentials and REX4 into my P3Dv3 and I'm sorry but I'm darned if I understand what to do.

- I see I need to buy the one time REX access rights for Essentials to P3D....fair enough, I see a buy button etc.

• What happens after I buy a license for P3D, how do I install it into P3D?
  • How do I install REX4 + Soft Clouds into my P3Dv3, when I launch the installer it asks me if I want to modify, repair or remove my REX 4 installation, there does not appear to be a pointer for P3D?
  • Also when I launch REX 4, it says I should update to a new version, it directs me to the patch, I try to run the patch and I get an error.  Do I need to grab and install all previous hotfixs and patches for this installer to work?
    • Checking for updates reads "you need to update to version 4.8.2016.0926, click OK, it downloads a reinstaller file, I click on this exe and I get an error, cannot access URL blah blah blah, I shut off my firewall, installer seems to work, I select "modify" and it runs, then I launch REX 4 again, I get the same notice that I need to update, therefore the installer isn't doing anything.

Sorry, but I'm totally confused on what I should do.

1. for the reinstall

2. for updating REX 4 so I can proceed with using is and install into P3D.

Bryan

Answered one question.

Under the config manager I found the flight simulator section with my P3DvX location had been found.

So I see I can just use the one interface for both simulators.

OK I've spent the better part of several hours trying to figure things out, read the manuals again etc.

- so in REX essentials I need to change the simulator folder location back and forth to what ever one I'm using, IE FSX and P3D. So I think I've answered that question SOLVED

- And in REX 4 Texture direct, it has the folders for the two sims, I did a backup textures, I assume it does both sims at same time? Then go to themes and load in my saved theme.  I also tried changing one texture element and rebooted P3D and it made that change so texture changes are working and my clouds are great. SOLVED.

However, when I try fly now! the weather generator runs and says on my P3D screen top left corner that is injecting weather, but I am not getting real weather as it is in my area. So the weather injection part is not working right.

1 hour ago, fltsimguy2 said:

- And in REX 4 Texture direct, it has the folders for the two sims, I did a backup textures, I assume it does both sims at same time?

Hi,

No, you need to select the simulator of choice in the little round button in the settings screen in REX, then create the backup for that simulator.

1 hour ago, fltsimguy2 said:

However, when I try fly now! the weather generator runs and says on my P3D screen top left corner that is injecting weather, but I am not getting real weather as it is in my area. So the weather injection part is not working right.

What was the weather in your location at the time of injection? What was it like in the sim?

1. Yes i saw the radio button for each sim, thanks....it took me some to see that's how you select.

2. the weather was dense cloud, light rain...i ended up with mostly clear and blue haze in distance, completely wrong.

- i'm going to try switching between the sims to see what weather i get in fsx vs p3dv3

10 hours ago, fltsimguy2 said:

1. Yes i saw the radio button for each sim, thanks....it took me some to see that's how you select.

2. the weather was dense cloud, light rain...i ended up with mostly clear and blue haze in distance, completely wrong.

- i'm going to try switching between the sims to see what weather i get in fsx vs p3dv3

Have you updated to Service Pack 4 - Public Beta's?  This resolves some weather engine issues.  Also, make sure you have the "Weather Changes over Time" set to none.

OK...I do not have Service Pack4 - Public Beta's.  I can try doing that. I assume that is for REX Essentials.

This morning I tackled this again. Some success some failure.

SUMMARY

1. managed to get weather into P3D, please advise if my procedure is correct.

2. getting unhandled exception error, don't know what that's impacting, never had that before.

3. still can't update REX 4 with the new update.

- Hopefully, I am doing this correctly. REX was showing Config Manager set to P3Dv3 location.  But I thought that I probably should shut it down and let it launch again so that i connects properly to that sim (as previously I just changed the folder location from FSX and then clicked fly now. However, first I switched to FSX.

- so switched to FSX, shut down Essentials, launched again.  Ran FSX, clicked fly now and after a minute it injected current weather...which was bang on. However I got some sort of unhandled exception, I don't have a clue what that's about. But I did get cloudy rainy skies as it currently is on the west coast.

- So then I shut everything down.  Opened up Essentials, changed the folder to P3Dv3. Shut it down and let it relaunch (I assume this is the procedure I should be doing), then launched P3Dv3, then clicked fly now...and presto I got cloudy rainy weather...similar to FSX. Screenies attached.

So it appears that my procedure was wrong, that one must reset the folder in Essentials, and then shut it down and relaunch so that it connects property to the sim? Am I doing this correctly?

However, in both sims I did get this weird unhandled exception.

First shot - weather in P3D

BRYAN-PC-2016-nov-12-005.md.jpg

Second shot - weather in FSX

BRYAN-PC-2016-nov-12-002.md.jpg

Third shot - unhandled exception error

BRYAN-PC-2016-nov-12-001.md.jpg

Boy what a challenge.

I downloaded and installed the public beta's.  Found out I had a file names too long problem with where I am storing my payware and patches etc. Once I figured that out I go the patches installed.

Lost my configurations, then remembered to use the restore feature which then restored my P3D access.  Man or man there must be an easier way.

So I have moved around the continent and it appears to be loading in weather well now.

So I would have to say the P3Dv3 access and injection is now working.

I will start a new thread on my issue with updating REX4 which fails all the time.

Edited by fltsimguy2