snave

CLOSED REX 4 TD and SC possible issue with suneffect.cfg

So here's the funny thing - observation not support request although it may need patching!:

Win7 64, P3D v3.2.3; REX Essentials + Overdrive used for weather engine; REX 4TD + SC (patched to SP6) used for textures

I've noticed since installing the P3D v3.2.3 update as a series of install upgrades (Client, then Content, then Scenery) that it doesn't matter what I select in REX4 for Sun as the installed texture, it never changed. Now, I should qualify that by saying that I've really only noticed it since the arrival of Spring in the sim, when the small size of the sun prompted me to actually change the texture...

It transpires that suneffect .cfg held in the %ProgramData%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d V3 had not been overwritten since 04/10/2015  - so clearly any overwrite instruction by REX is not being handled.

Now, I didn't do a full install to update - I followed the L-M recommendations for updating in sequence - unlike the `clean` install this does NOT specify removal of the created folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3 (or the modified install location)
  • %PROGRAMDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • %LOCALAPPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • %APPDATA%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v3
  • %USERPROFILE%\Documents\Prepar3D v3 Files

The conclusion I draw - for contemplation and discussion by the developers - is that the new folder prioritisation implemented in V3 is somehow preventing the REX selected changes, even though they are indicated as `installed` in the REX GUI. Perhaps this is something that needs looking into? 

For anybody else who does find a similar issue this can be resolved by simply deleting suneffect.cfg from %ProgramData%\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3d V3 and restarting the sim and after making any changes in the REX GUI. It will pick up on the `new` suneffect.cfg and install the desired textures - but then writing that suneffect.cfg to the folder so, of course, next time textures are changed, the same procedure needs to be followed. 

I suspect this may not be the only file that is affected this way.

Thank you for your inquiry. Please try the following steps first:

1.) Make sure your UAC (User Account Control) is set to never notify.

2.) Make sure REX has inbound/outbound access via your firewall software.

3.) Make sure REX has exclusion rights within your Antivirus software.

4.) Make sure you right click the REX icon and select "Run As Administrator" Let me know how this goes.

I am just checking in to see if the issue you are experiencing has been resolved?