andy1252

RESOLVED Unable to save themes, plus other confusion

Hi, although I bought and installed REX4 Texture Direct and Soft Clouds a good time ago, for various reasons I have only just got around to using the products and am suffering from some basic confusion and a specific problem. I am running version 4.7.2015.1006 on Win7Pro64, primarily with P3D 2.5 (FSX/SE is installed but not used).

I seem to be able to install individual textures/effects into P3D ok, but I can't create, or to be more precise SAVE, themes. If I create a theme from scratch, or take a community theme and modify it, when I try to save I get the attached error message. I looked around the forum and found a similar topic posted by someone a while back and the advice there seemed to imply uninstalling/reinstalling not just the REX products but endless lists of other (probably shared) items like .net etc which I'm not keen on doing without strong convincing. I have had to apply about four SPs since the basic install, and Soft Clouds was bought on release as a separate product, so I can see that possibly a fresh install with the latest complete integrated package might be a good thing (assuming I can download such a copy?).

The errmsg seems to imply I haven't entered an email address and profile name, but I have. And that's where the "confusion" bit comes in. Do the "configuration settings & optimization" panel settings have to configured every time I open REX? Are these settings only for the "current" session? It looks so, and I assumed that was one of the reasons to use themes, as I wouldn't have to set everything up every time. There doesn't seem top be any kind of "save settings" function on this screen.

Thanks, Andy

REXX_errormsg.jpg

OK, went back and had another dig through the forum and found out a bit more. Have now given all users on the system full control access to the various REX directories, and turned off "read-only" attribute on those directories and all seems ok now.

But, i have to say - wtf? I have not had to mess about like this with any other products in my fairly complex environment. The end results with REX may be pretty impressive, but I've not been impressed with the documentation or the setup processes.

Still, at least when I have to do the inevitable re-install at some point in the future I'll know what to do next time.

This can be considered closed now.

Andy

Unfortunately, the complexity of installing and running REX is more than just REX.  It has to do with the security requirements being enforced by Microsoft through Windows as well as Antivirus software.  Neither really like a piece of software coping/moving/editing files on the hard drive.  It will often look it as a hostile process.

In addition, we always recommend users to download the latest FULL version from the vendor they originally purchased from so that they do not have to deal with updates.

Hi Reed,

thanks for your reply.Don't take what I'm about to say the wrong way - I fully understand the complexities of trying to deal with the random insanity that is Microsoft's coding and also accept that AV software is often worse than what it protects from. But I do feel that if the experience I had is as common as it seems to be (from the forum posts), then either something is not quite right about the product's installation procedures or the steps I had to take need to be fully documented as part of that installation procedure.

Like I said, I've not experienced anything like this with any other software, and I can't imagine that your product is so much more invasive than anything else - in fact I'd be worried if I thought it was. My system is set up to all the generally accepted recommended advice (UAC turned off, full admin rights to the user account, nothing flight sim related installed in either of the standard "program files" directories etc) and although it is some time ago now since I installed REX and don't have any specific memories regarding it I don't recall there being any problems during the actual installation.

There is another aspect to this problem, one that I feel could have helped identify the presence of a problem much earlier. When the product (Texture Direct) starts up initially and you are presented the "Configuration Settings" panel, there is no "save settings" type option. I realise now (having taken the steps mentioned re the directories) that this is not necessary as once the settings are SUCCESSFULLY accepted, the screen does not re-appear at startup. However, as my installation was NOT apparently working properly, although I could set these values and go on to install individual textures into my sim successfully, every time I closed and later re-opened the product I got the same "configuration settings" panel again. I had just assumed that this was how the product worked - you had to enter this data every time on startup. There is nothing in the documentation that says that this information only needs to be entered once, and the panel/screen itself gives no acknowledgement that the settings have been accepted. I would respectfully suggest that you consider changing either the documentation or the panel behaviour to amend this.

Like I said, please accept this all as feedback rather than moaning. I've had over 40 years of IT (professionally and privately) and I fully accept that you can't anticipate everything and even the most rigorous testing can't catch everything. And that's in a sane environment, not the weirdness that is the MS world.

And just to re-iterate, the product is great, and now I've got it working properly I shall enjoy its contribution to my own little simulated world enormously. I looked at Flight Simming at various times over the years but never got excited about it till lately - wire frame graphics don't do it for me. But nowadays, with the hardware capabilities and products like P3D, Orbx, your own stuff and ASN, it really does allow a pretty stunning rendition,

Thanks again,

Andy

(any way to get an updated full version direct? My vendor wants to charge me for a download as it's over a year since the original. Not desperate, just thought I'd ask)

Edited by andy1252
edited for typo

I greatly appreciate your advice and words.   I am not taking them the wrong way.   The oddity of this industry is that when you compare the amount of units sold vs. the number of support items here related to the product - the support items are very small in scale.  So that is where it makes it difficult to try to piece together why for about 1 out of 100 this issue may be occurring.   We have found that 95% of the issues are mostly related to the users machines and OS setup.   It is just getting around those little quirks.

I can get you a full version just email me at: rstough@rexgamestudios.com

Thank you again.