Paul5108

CLOSED 2 issues that have not been answered

Good day all,

Firstly, I have been attempting to read posts in regard to the issue I am having but I am advised that I have to be verified, which was something I did back in 2011 when I first purchased REX. Is there a time period?

Secondly, why don't things just work? I keep getting the message "cannot find file ///D://flightwxmap.htm" when trying to load real world weather into FSX.

I purchased REX back in 2011 and have downloaded all the updates and as far as I am aware, in the right order. I am now looking at the "REX essential plus overdrive 4 HD". With the earlier or my original dvd, we had an option to load real world weather from within FSX which worked perfectly. Now from what I read this is not an available option ?

I am no computer whizz nor do I understand much of the jargon that is tossed around in these forums. Comments have been made that the upgrades have caused issues so the ultimate answer is to install the new version. OK so I purchased the DVD so now need to download the latest version to which I read that i am entitled and where do I download it from?

Any ideas please?

Paul

PS again my order number is #FSS0088297 from the Flightsim store.

Good day all,

Firstly, I have been attempting to read posts in regard to the issue I am having but I am advised that I have to be verified, which was something I did back in 2011 when I first purchased REX. Is there a time period?

No time period, and I do not see another account of yours on our forum. At any rate, you are now verified.

Secondly, why don't things just work? I keep getting the message "cannot find file ///D://flightwxmap.htm" when trying to load real world weather into FSX.

If REX is installed, correctly and up to date it works. From that error message it seems you have an older version installed and NOT up to date. Which version of REX is installed? You can check the ABOUT screen inside of the application.

I purchased REX back in 2011 and have downloaded all the updates and as far as I am aware, in the right order. I am now looking at the "REX essential plus overdrive 4 HD". With the earlier or my original dvd, we had an option to load real world weather from within FSX which worked perfectly. Now from what I read this is not an available option ?

You are not "looking" at "4" as REX Essential and REX Essential OverDrive are version 3. You can still load real world weather with REX Essential. It's what it's based on. REX4 Texture Direct is the only version 4 we have on the market, and does not include a weather engine.

I am no computer whizz nor do I understand much of the jargon that is tossed around in these forums. Comments have been made that the upgrades have caused issues so the ultimate answer is to install the new version. OK so I purchased the DVD so now need to download the latest version to which I read that i am entitled and where do I download it from?

We develop upgrades to advance, not break things. 

An email to support has not been answered

Whom did you email and when? All emails are answered in the manner in which they are received. Most times we direct folks to our support forum for this purpose.

Any ideas please?

Paul

PS again my order number is #FSS0088297 from the Flightsim store.

You are now verified.

Hi Paul,

Please see my responses in RED above.

Thank you for your reply Timest999 although it did seem a little abrupt.

In reply to your comments,

Firstly my verification - My first support post was on 1 Jan 2011 so presumed I would have been verified at that point. I do recall needing to forward my Purchase number at some time.

REX up to date -  I have followed the instructions as far as I am aware about updating. About REX is showing me version build 3.5.2012.1029.

Develop Upgrades, not break them - I never suggested anything to the contrary, simply that I had tried updating as instructed and that maybe I had done something in error. On reading through forums it had been "suggested" that upgrades have caused issues. Again I stress that I am nowhere near an expert in this sort of thing and try to follow instructions as best I know how. Could it be the configuration of each persons computer? Sorry but I just don't know about all this technical stuff and depend on your company's knowledge and reputation to steer me or us in the right direction.

Support E-mail -  Who it was sent to I have no idea. I managed to find "contact us" or similar link somewhere either on the main page or to an administrator. It did take me a while to actually find a method to contact someone and didn't actually take note of whom it was sent to.

So now to the issue and hope you could give me direction in simple terms,

Before I attempted to update REX I had a separate icon (REX Weather Engine) with which I could open and update weather. This worked perfectly!! The engine injected weather into FSX and notified me via a green bar at the top of the screen of its actions.

Since updating however I see that this desktop icon is no longer available and from what I read and understand, it is no longer available as a separate option but included within the main weather program. The title of the window in front of me reads "REX essential + OVERDRIVE HD High Definition Environmental& Weather Package"

I now go into the option WEATHER/CONFIGURE WEATHER LOAD PROCEDURE and select "use real weather data" Hit OK and it goes through the weather download process.Hit "Fly Now" and get the REXWX screen.

I start FSX and am greeted with a warning message box titled WEB BROWSER with the message "cannot find file:///D://flightwxmap.htm. Make sure the path or Internet address is correct."

That is the error I had been trying to search for. In reading forums and it may have been in one of these, I read that the updates can be a cause of this issue. 

I have FSX installed on a separate drive within the computer as has been instructed on many occasion and that REX has been installed and updated in the right location also (as far as I am aware).

The thought that the easiest solution for me would be to fully un install REX and re install the latest version from scratch therefore letting the program install itself fully into its correct location and the files set them selves up as they should be rather than me attempting to install the updates as I have and perhaps as I have, done something wrong.

I have contacted the FlightSimStore from whom I purchased the original asking for the latest version to which I am entitled and as I considered at the time the right thing to do was purchase a hard copy DVD rather than download, they tell me now that I can not now download the latest version because I bought a hard copy.

Personally I prefer an original Hard copy of any software as I do not wish to be accused in any way of not purchasing "Original" programs where possible.

It is therefore that I ask if you can maybe correct me on anything I may have done in error with this update or is it possible to get a copy of the updated version. If it means needing to download then I guess it has to be that way in this day and age.

As far as I understand, REX is designed for as real as it can be and the need to configure REX with a flight plan etc. then start FSX is good however when an off line or spontaneous flight is sought, the option to load FSX at an airport and inject the applicable weather is something I found a better option with the flights I enjoy with vatpac friends.

I would appreciate if you could correct me if I am wrong in any of these assumptions and advise me of solutions. Speaking to acquaintances, they advise me to get rid of REX and get ActiveSky. This is something I do not wish to do at this stage as in the past, REX has seemed to have given me what I required especially the added textures selections.

If I do not have all the updates available would you mind listing what I have missed. Again I think I have followed the instructions that have been posted in these forums but maybe I have missed something.

Hope to hear from you soon

Paul 

Edited by Paul5108

Please email me at: rstough@rexgamestudios.com

Also within your email please provide a link to this forum post so that I can refer back to it. Please reference REX within the subject line of the email.

Thank you!

I have sent you instructions via email. Please review them and let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for your patience.

We are continuing to monitor this topic for possible further action.

Can we mark this issue resolved or closed?

Hello there again rstough and thanks for all your help.

Yes at this stage the issue seems to have been resolved. I had not marked it as resolved or closed as you had indicated that you were going to keep it open with your remark " We are continuing to monitor this topic for possible further action."

As I said, it seems to be resolved however the only other thing I can mention if I may is that although the weather engine started perfectly and injected weather into FSX as expected, the actual weather was not true to the real world conditions. We had a day the other week whereby here in Adelaide, South Australia we had rather severe weather conditions with rain, thunder, lightning and strong winds however REX loaded in calm and clear weather, weather we had the previous day so I am assuming that the data that the REX weather engine received was a day old? A friend of mine actually flew with me in multi however he uses Active Sky which actually reflected perfectly the flying conditions at that time.  Is there a setting I have incorrect perhaps?

Since then we have had fair weather here in Adelaide so have been waiting for another day when we have bad weather, which is not often this time of the year, to give REX another test.

Thanks guys and sorry to be a pain :( 

Can you give me the specifics of the day that you expected severe weather and got clear weather and also the airport ICAO?

Also, can you post a screenshot of your Weather Engine settings within REX?

Greetings again Reed,

Unfortunately I can not recall the exact day that it occurred as it was two or three weeks ago. Never the less I have just tried it again with the same issue. Please note that at the time of doing this and writing to you it is the 25th November 2015 at 9.50am here in Adelaide South Australia. "YPAD"

I have hopefully attached the screenshot and others that may be of use and did notice that the date for the weather data is dated 24th November so is a day old.

For some reason it keeps telling me that I can only upload 2MB every time I go to attach another screenshot although i have converted them to JPG.

Screenshot (1).jpg

I think the issue is not a real issue.  If you live in Austraila then this data will show as being a day old, even though in reality it is not.  

I just pulled the latest data from NOAA and our servers:

REX EDGE Servers:  YPAD 010330Z 24019KT 9999 SCT035 BKN056 BKN098 19/06 Q1015 NOSIG

NOAA Servers:  YPAD 010330Z 24019KT 9999 SCT035 BKN056 BKN098 19/06 Q1015 NOSIG

Note the date  01 and time 0330Z. 

Hello Timest999,

I am not sure whether this topic is actually resolved at this stage. By all means close it if you wish. I still can not understand why, on that particular day mentioned in my first post that a multiplayer friend in the same city using ActiveSky had the weather in his simulator exactly as it was on that day at that time yet I had pretty much clear weather. Unfortunately here in Adelaide it is summer so we / I have few opportunities to re test what REX injects. When we I get an opportunity I can report the results.

Thanks for your patience

Paul 

Ok Paul, thank you for getting back to us.

At this point I would suggest bookmarking this thread, and if/when the time comes to reopen it, you can let us know and we will be happy to oblige.