alexmcal0

CLOSED "NO DATA" issue with real world winds and temperatures aloft

Dear REX Support,

Since buying REX Essential Plus Overdrive about three years ago, I have been having an extremely frustrating intermittent problem with the real-world  weather engine not downloading winds and temperatures aloft data properly.

I run the program as administrator and have it installed outside of the main program files, yet when I go to download weather, the download process runs and successfully downloads surface weather conditions, but not winds and temperatures aloft. When I go to view the weather synopsis at a particular airport/weather station, the METAR/TAF is there, along with wind and temperature from surface to 5000ft, but all other levels show up as "NO DATA"

I have tried updating to the latest service pack to no avail, and decided to completely uninstall/reinstall REX to its original version from the time when I bought it. Suddenly the wind/temperature data came back and I was happy for about a month until recently REX has refused to download the data yet again. Today I have tried to fix the problem twice by updating, uninstalling and reinstalling but the problem still remains, leaving me totally baffled as to why.

My internet connection is very solid, and I even tried rebooting my modem a couple of times to see if it would fix the issue, but no such luck - And this leaves me completely at a loss of what to do now, which is why I'm contacting you guys!

I don't think it would be necessary to reinstall FSX because the issue has nothing to do with REX's interaction with my sim, It's simply the program's blatant refusal to download weather data properly...

Additionally, I have discovered that archived mode also contains no winds/temperature aloft data.

Hopefully you guys can help me end my frustration!

Cheers.

Can you please add the following additional information to your signature? This will help us to understand your system specs so that we may further assist you.

GENERAL REX QUESTIONS

1.) What REX Build # (Located on ABOUT screen)?

2.) What Weather Mode (WX PLUS/STANDARD)?

3.) Installed Full Version or Upgraded from Previous Version?

4.) Confirm UAC (User Account Control) set to never notify?

5.) Confirm Run REX as Administrator?

6.) Confirm RATE AT WHICH WEATHER CHANGES OVER TIME in FSX/P3D is set to none?

WINDOWS SET UP QUESTIONS

1.) Which Windows Operating System?

2.) RAM memory size?

3.) Video card and memory size?

4.) Overclocking?

5.) Total hard drive space?

6.) Using REX in a network or not?

7.) Which version of Flight Simulator installed (including service packs)?

8.) Internet connection active or not?

9.) Which antivirus software running?

10.) Whether or not firewall running?

11.) Whether or not you are utilizing FSUIPC?

12.) Folder REX is installed?

13.) Folder FSX/P3D installed?

Thank you in advance for this information.

GENERAL REX QUESTIONS
1.) What REX Build # (Located on ABOUT screen)? - Build 3.6.2013.0415
2.) What Weather Mode (WX PLUS/STANDARD)? - WX PLUS
3.) Installed Full Version or Upgraded from Previous Version? - Installed full version
4.) Confirm UAC (User Account Control) set to never notify? - Yes
5.) Confirm Run REX as Administrator? - Yes
6.) Confirm RATE AT WHICH WEATHER CHANGES OVER TIME in FSX/P3D is set to none? - Yes

WINDOWS SET UP QUESTIONS

1.) Which Windows Operating System? - Windows 7 Home Premium (64 bit)
2.) RAM memory size? - 8GB
3.) Video card and memory size?  - AMD Radeon HD 6450/ 1GB
4.) Overclocking? - No
5.) Total hard drive space? - 2TB
6.) Using REX in a network or not? - No
7.) Which version of Flight Simulator installed (including service packs)? - FSX SP2
8.) Internet connection active or not? - Yes
9.) Which antivirus software running? - Kaspersky Antivirus Essential PC Protection
10.) Whether or not firewall running? - No
11.) Whether or not you are utilizing FSUIPC? - Yes
12.) Folder REX is installed? - Root directory "C:\" (outside of program files (x86))
13.) Folder FSX/P3D installed? - C:\program files (x86)

Having now done a couple of test flights following the update, I have now been hit with more problems than before  :(

The first problem I have noticed is that the weather engine does not inject weather textures upon reaching the end of the weather region, meaning I have to manually force the program to inject the downloaded real world weather (And yes, I have weather engine/download enabled). This wouldn't be such an issue, if it wouldn't be for the extreme wind shifts encountered once the new weather is loaded in, resulting in my poor little Aerosoft Airbus A320 being battered by IAS changes of up to 200kts! (despite using wind smoothing in FSUIPC).

Another problem I have noticed is that the actual weather experienced at an airport differs significantly from the weather forecasted on the aerodrome METAR report/Terminal Area Forecast. I conducted a flight from Melbourne (YMML) to the Gold Coast (YBCG), and upon landing, checked the weather in the ATIS and found it was nothing like what was supposed to be the prevailing conditions. The METAR said wind 220/6kts with cloud SCT054, but I was in fact greeted with wind 320/12kts and cloud OVC088 with quite poor visibility.

I have set my FSX weather settings as outlined in the REX user manual, and have gone with weather region size of 15x15lat/long and disabled grid interpolation.

I also re-installed SimConnect for the hell of it.

What else could I try?

The test you did from YMML to YBCG can you give me the time frames that you did your flight so I can review our database?

Also, do you get the upper-level winds and temperature data now with the update?

Also, if you are using the WXPLUS mode, please switch to Standard Mode.

I will need to check the real UTC times for when this test was conducted. I'll get back to you.

In the meantime, the data has returned into my weather engine.

Edited by alexmcal0

I am just checking in to see if the issue you are experiencing has been resolved?

Can we mark this issue resolved or closed?