pete_auau

Sneaky Windows updates

Most of users would  have  seen this  if  they have visited other  forums   eg  avism  sim forums  etc  but  in short  Microsoft have   added  4  updates  to our pcs  without our option   to opt  out  of.   In short these updates are for Microsoft to update our o/s   to Windows  10 by placing  a Win 10 exe   in one of  the updates  and  also seeing  what we do  on our pc  as well so  they are snooping  on us  without  us knowing  about  it. So if  your pc  is being  sluggish  you know  the  reason  is  now  being  caused  by these updates. If you follow  Nick  guide  in the link  below  on how  to remove  the updates and  stop them from installing  again.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/a-warning-about-ms-updates-for-windows-10_topic52577.html

I run windows 10 64bit and its beautiful.. no issues what so ever with REX essentials full max everything... no lag sitting on 40fps.. ya guys done a great job in pre-migration without knowing it!!

Glad  that you have it  running  think most of us  win 7 system users  don't  want  Microsoft snooping  on our pc  and  forcing  us  to  go to win10

I got the Windows 10 logo  today so will be doing the above... sneaky sneaky sneaky... thing is... if i had received an email from microsneak detailing Win10 then I may have looked into it more.

Tom.

That logo only gives you the option to reserve your copy of Windows 10, unless you run it and reserve your copy, you won't get it.  You have up to one year to update for free after release.

Unfortunately Nick's method is a temporary solution and files will find their way back into the system, rest assured.   I tried this.

Solution  ?

1)  Go to :     C:/Windows/System32/GWX       

2)  When you locate the file named  'GWX'   -  rename it to  'GWXnotnow'   and hit enter.   Problem solved.    If you eventually decide on Windows 10,  then go back and change this file name back to just  'GWX' .  By renaming this GWX file, MS 'get W10 ware'   loses it's ability to work in the background and goes dormant.  No more CPU drain.  By not deleting this file, you retain your  'free ticket'  to Win10 download once any quirks, issues etc. have been ironed out by early users.  MS gives you one year to download Win10 update for free.  

Cheers,

MZ