Sign in to follow this  
JimmiG

RESOLVED REX4 Texture Direct vs REX Essentials w/O vs Soft Clouds

I've been a longtime owner of REX Essentials, and then I picked up REX4 Texture Direct during a sale.

Initially I thought REX4 was a "new" product meant to replace the older REX Essentials - using newer technology, better compatibility with P3D v2 etc. So I thought I was being clever to jump on the new product and abandon the "legacy" REX Essentials.

However I'm seeing that REX Essentials is still being updated. While it's good that you support your older products too, as a customer it leaves me a bit confused as to the advantages of "upgrading" to REX4, and whether it's really an upgrade at all or just a parallel product line. Then Soft Clouds was released, which is a third product with the same goal (providing a more realistic environment) that makes me further question my decision to get REX4 (which I purchased in order to get the latest technology).

So a couple of questions:

-Do you consider REX4 a replacement/upgrade over REX Essentials or an parallel product line?

-If the latter, when is REX4 the best choice and who should choose REX Essentials instead?

-Is REX Essentials w/O still considered the "premium" product? It's more expensive than the other two and the download size is also bigger.

-Will support and updates continue for all three products?

Edited by JimmiG

Hi Jimmi,

Initially I thought REX4 was a "new" product meant to replace the older REX Essentials - using newer technology, better compatibility with P3D v2 etc. So I thought I was being clever to jump on the new product and abandon the "legacy" REX Essentials.

We have a whole line of REX4 products, Texture Direct, Weather Direct, Weather Architect and the WX Advantage Radar. Yes, Texture Direct is our newest offering, and much more powerful in regards to textures/effects and configurations. Of course some folks have a preference for choice of textures from OverDrive (Essential) over some from Texture Direct, but the beauty is you can mix and match.

However I'm seeing that REX Essentials is still being updated. While it's good that you support your older products too, as a customer it leaves me a bit confused as to the advantages of "upgrading" to REX4, and whether it's really an upgrade at all or just a parallel product line. 

All software products have a lifecycle. We are definitely moving forward, especially when the full REX4 product line is launched. 

Then Soft Clouds was released, which is a third product with the same goal (providing a more realistic environment) that makes me further question my decision to get REX4 (which I purchased in order to get the latest technology).

That's because we have filled a specific niche with Soft Clouds compiled from user feedback. 

So a couple of questions:

-Do you consider REX4 a replacement/upgrade over REX Essentials or an parallel product line?

-If the latter, when is REX4 the best choice and who should choose REX Essentials instead?

-Is REX Essentials w/O still considered the "premium" product? It's more expensive than the other two and the download size is also bigger.

-Will support and updates continue for all three products?

Understand, REX Essential OD is a full comprehensive product: Weather Engine(s), Textures, Sounds, Flight Planner

Howdy,

I currently own REX Essential Plus Overdrive, Every time I clicked on the like to REX Essential Plus Overdrive to download SP3 for it gave me this message "Sorry, we couldn't find that!" Please help. 

Thanks,

Sam

Edited by smilyone

Howdy,

I currently own REX Essential Plus Overdrive, Every time I clicked on the like to REX Essential Plus Overdrive to download SP3 for it gave me this message "Sorry, we couldn't find that!" Please help. 

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam, welcome to the forum.

Please provide us with your order # for your product and where it was purchased. Place that within your signature so we may verify you. If you have any questions in why we ask this, please reference the following thread: http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/15044-support-forum-verification/

Once you are verified, you may post for support and a member of our team will assist you.