apollon01

CLOSED Archived Weather - refresh while flying

Hello REX,

I am a happy user since ever the REX 1 was released.

Only recently I have updated the software to the latest version and I was happy to see the Archived weather option.

Just one simple question...

Does the archived weather refresh when the time goes on in the simulator?

I.e. say there was a nice thunderstorm from 11:00 - 13:00 UTC yesterday passing through my region. If I choose the archived weather as of 10:00 UTC yesterday, load a flight, sit quietly on the ground from 10:00 - 14:00 UTC, will I actually see the thunderstorm coming and leaving in the sim?

Thank you.

Regards,

Milan

Edited by apollon01

Did you fly yesterday when that thunderstorm passed through, and did you see the thunderstorm in-sim?

The archived weather refers to the last weather scenario that you actually flew in, it doesn't recall past real-time weather data (if you didn't fly that particular day).

Hello Galen,

Thank you for your reply.

The t-storm scenario was just an example to make myself clear (I did not fly it).

So if I understand correctly, the weather engine loads the archived weather, depicts it into the sim and that is it. If I fly long enough (say one hour or two), it does not update the weather in the sim according to archived metars that followed the one initially loaded, right?

Thanks for confirmation / correction of my understanding.

Regards,

Milan

Hi Milan,

First of all, my apologies here: I misread your original post (looks like I need a new vision prescription :wacko: ). I thought you were referring to using the archived weather theme within FSX (the weather theme labeled REX), which loads the last exact weather scenario you flew in. Clearly you were referring to the archived weather option within REX. I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding!

The archived weather that you choose within REX allows you to select weather reports from the past. Selecting that radio button will bring up a pop-up dialog that allows you to choose the date that you want to download. I don't recall how far back our records go for those METARs, but it's pretty far.

Let me know if that clears things up for you. 

Hello Galen,

I think there is still a misunderstanding between what I mean and what you are responding to :-)

I will try to put it in a different way...

METARs (at least in my part of the world) are issued every 30 minutes. I suppose REX archives them all, right? So for any day there should be 48 METARs archived.

Now, when I load an archived weather (through the radio buttons and then filling in the date and time I want) let's say for Friday 23 January 2015 at 10:00 UTC, fire up the sim and go flying, I suppose the weather loaded for my airport will be as Friday 23 January at 10:00 UTC, OK? And now the important part... when I fly for 30 minutes around the airport, will the weather in the sim be updated by the METAR issued on Friday 23 January at 10:30 UTC? When I fly for an hour, will the weather in the sim be updated by the METAR issued on Friday 23 January at 11:00 UTC etc?

Thank you for your reply.

Kind regards,

Milan

To answer your question, no it does not update hours as your progress through flight and time.  It is only a one time download and inject.

Hello Reed,

Thank you for the answer. That's what I wanted to know.

In case it is not technically too difficult, it would be great if you considered implementing also this feature into REX Essentials.

Thanks for the excellent support.

Kind regards,

Milan

We will mark this as a suggestion for our developers to review.   However, if it is implemented it may not show up until Weather Direct is released.

Thank you again for your thoughts, kind words, and support of our products.

Hi,

It's a very good question then idea because I thought that REX operates like written  ^-^ It would be a very nice feature if included in further version of REX OD.

Thank you.

If I could give my vote, it's for this feature. It would be a very interesting if the refresh of archived weather will be included on the REX.  :D