FSXaddict

RESOLVED Soft Clouds install "ended prematurely"

I just purchased Soft Clouds and am trying to install it, however, I get the following message:

The REX Soft Clouds Setup Wizard ended prematurely

REX Soft Clouds setup ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not beem modified. To install this program at a later time, please run the installation again.

Click the "Finish" button to exit the Setup Wizard.

--------------------------------------------------

I have tried installing this several times with the same result. Your help is appreciated.

Matt

Win7 64 bit

FSX/Acceleration

Rex4 Texture Direct version 4.3.2014.1210

REX Essential + Overdrive build 3.6.2013.0415

My Soft Clouds order reference number is ZMQAVAABF Placed on 12/27/2014 11:50:28

Can you confirm that you have .net framework 4.5 installed as well as SQL Server Local 2012 installed?

If you can download the .net framework from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

Sql Local DB can be downloaded from here:

32bit version:  http://www.mediafire.com/download/yvsi395h5z887bz/SqlLocalDB.msi

64bit version:  http://www.mediafire.com/download/34j7zpf9htk5do8/SqlLocalDB64.msi

My .net was current as it would not install, but I upgraded the Sql with the download. I'm still getting the same error message.

I am very sorry to hear about the issue you are having with installation.

Please do the following:
1.) Please download and install the .net framework 4.5 from Microsoft:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=30653

2.) Then download and install one of the SQL Local DB 2012 files below based upon your system type:
Windows 32 bit Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/yvsi395h5z887bz/SqlLocalDB.msi

Windows 64 bit Download:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/34j7zpf9htk5do8/SqlLocalDB64.msi

3.) Then try to reinstall REX
Please advise how the process goes.

I again tried the step by step process above with the same results. This is the error message I get immediately after I enter my serial number:

YAw6V.jpg

Please log into your account at our store (if that is where you purchased REX Soft Clouds), re-download REX Soft Clouds which includes SP1.  This should solve the issue you are having.

I just re-downloaded the file (rexsoftclouds_sp1_20150109) and I am still getting the same "ended prematurely" error.

I have sent you instructions via email. Please review them and let me know if you have any questions. Thank you for your patience.

We created a new installer for you to test.  Please follow the instructions I sent in my newest email.

I figured it out. Here is my solution:

Since the majority of users/downloaders had no issues with the installation on their end, and especially after all of the help the admins had given me thus far (thank you sincerely), common sense told me that whatever issue I was having was on my end. I figured it was either a program I have installed with FSX or other software was causing some kind of issue. I did not want to go through the pain of uninstalling everything and starting over so I decided I would do the unthinkable.. Google search.

I searched for common issues with windows software installation programs for Win7 and one of the very first threads I found was regarding the topic "run as administrator". I remembered that one of the only things asked in the installation instructions was to be sure to "run as administrator". The topic instructed me how to go into TRUE administrator mode, which are as follows:

Open a command prompt with admin rights by clicking start, typing cmd into the search/run box, and hitting CTRL-SHIFT-ENTER. At the prompt, type:

net user administrator /active:yes

Then log out of your regular account and back in as the administrator, where you should be able to install the program. When you're done, log back into your regular account and, for security purposes, disable the administrator account using:

net user administrator /active:no

The other way would be to disable the User Account Control settings, then install the program. and then go back and enable UAC.
Disable UAC on Windows 7
Windows 7 makes it much easier to deal with UAC settings, and in fact you don’t have to completely disable UAC if you don’t want to. Just type UAC into the start menu or Control Panel search box. You can simply drag the slider up or down, depending on how often you want to be alerted.
If you drag it all the way down to the bottom, you’ll have disabled it entirely.

After installing your application, then re-enable UAC.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Once I signed out of my normal user account and signed in by clicking the new "administrator" tab at the sign in page, I navigated to the folder I downloaded Soft Clouds to, the right clicked and selected "run as administrator". WAH LAH! Boom! Pow! Bang!

INSTALLED FLAWLESSLY.

Up and running now and I hope this may help anyone else having the same issue I did. Gotta love computers!

p.s.

To Tim and Reed,

Thank you very much for your dedication and prompt emails/replies to help me solve the issue I was having. A++++++ customer service guys!

Cheers,

Matt

Thank you Matt for your feedback and letting us know.  I greatly appreciate your patience with us as this issue has been baffling in that none of us have had this issue.  I will mark this resolved.