Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

RESOLVED Two REX4 Texture Direct questions

First, I see that it says it can load WX influenced textures.  I'm wondering though is that based on one station or can it be done similar to REX Essentials where you give it a flightplan and it comes up with a set based on your departure and arrival airports.

Second question is wave animations.  I've gone over to the DX10 side.  One of the big problems that DX10 users have noted on various forums is that even when checking the "DX10 Optimized" box in REX Essentials, the wave animations for the most part (except for a few) didn't look very good and weren't really animated under DX10 vs. their DX9 versions.  Has this changed in REX4?  I.e. are the DX10 versions of wave animations much improved?  The default MS DX10 animation actually looked pretty good having movement and whitecaps/etc. but the overall look still looked cheap/stock so I eventually swapped it back out with a REX one but it's still a compromise.

I've been holding off on REX4 since there was no updated weather engine for it yet, but I'm thinking about swapping to it anyway if the wave animations are much improved under DX10.

Sorry, the dev team is extremely busy on product updates and new releases. We're trying to keep up with support inquiries and sometimes miss the general discussion area.

First, I see that it says it can load WX influenced textures.  I'm wondering though is that based on one station or can it be done similar to REX Essentials where you give it a flightplan and it comes up with a set based on your departure and arrival airports.

Based on one station at this time.

I've gone over to the DX10 side.  One of the big problems that DX10 users have noted on various forums is that even when checking the "DX10 Optimized" box in REX Essentials, the wave animations for the most part (except for a few) didn't look very good and weren't really animated under DX10 vs. their DX9 versions.  Has this changed in REX4?  I.e. are the DX10 versions of wave animations much improved?  The default MS DX10 animation actually looked pretty good having movement and whitecaps/etc. but the overall look still looked cheap/stock so I eventually swapped it back out with a REX one but it's still a compromise.

I've been holding off on REX4 since there was no updated weather engine for it yet, but I'm thinking about swapping to it anyway if the wave animations are much improved under DX10.

I beg to differ, and will not get into this discussion yet again. Too many people use various tweaks to shaders and files then blame REX for 'incompetence" in regards. Please don't engage me in yet another discussion on this subject.

Now in saying that, REX4 has been worked very delicately to work with DX10 AND DX11.

Thanks for the information Tim.  Oh and it was not my intent to cause a problem with my water discussion/comments.  I apologize if it came across that way.

Hi, no worries. All good flyinion ;)

Although my remark seems to have been made to you directly, it was simply an indirect, nonchalant caution to those who like to engage team members in verbal sparring matches or thread snipers who thrive on these sort of discussions. We've been dealing with these type of folks for quite some time now. Although we welcome constructive criticism, we will not tolerate that type of behavior in our forum any longer.

Well, I think I'm gonna go grab REX4 as soon as I can scrape the $$$ together :)  Screenshots do look great, especially the water.  Also Tim your comments about shaders made me go revisit the water shader I was using in DX10 last night.  I took screenshots between default FSX DX10 shader, the new improved version that comes with the DX10 Fixer app (which can be tweaked but I used default settings on it for testing), and the "preview" DX10 shader from FSWC Lite while clearing the shader cache in between.  I had been using the FSWC forever because default FSX is wayyyyy too light in water color even with the darker default REX Essentials water textures loaded.  I realized FSWC was actually too dark and made the wave animations look too off.  The new stock settings in the DX Fixer app water shader seem about perfect.  I think that paired with REX4 is going to be great for DX10 mode.  Now if only I had the power to run 32bit animations lol.

Just grabbed REX4 today.  Wow, I have to say I can't believe I waited.  Water is a massive improvement over what I used to see before.  Also highly impressed with the texture loading speed vs. REX Essential.

We too are happy with the outcome, and I thank you for supporting us again!