JTH1969

FAQ How to use Texture Direct and REX Essential as your Weather Engine

How To Use REX4 T.D. Textures And REX Essentials/Plus/OD As Your Weather Engine!

1st.  Open REX4 >Themes>Weather Tab. type in the ICAO code for the Airport you want to depart from. Submit>Generate>Save>Name it>Install/OK 

This will allow REX4 T.D. to install the most appropriate Textures for these particular weather conditions. A Red box will open asking if you want to Fly Now click cancel and then click "Share" If you would like to share your Theme with the REX community then close REX4 T.D.

2nd.  Open REX Essentials/Plus/OD at this point you can either - Create a Flight plan in REX Essentials/Plus/OD originating from the same AP you set to departing from in REX4 T.D. and load it into FSX or,  Open REX Essentials/Plus/OD and click the Weather tab > Check Real Weather, Put in the same ICAO of the departing AP from REX4 T.D. and click "Fly Now" (DO NOT INSTALL ANY TEXTURES FROM REX Essentials /Plus/OD)

You already have the new REX4 T.D. textures installed this would over ride that and install REX Essentials/Plus/OD textures. All you are wanting out of REX Essentials/Plus/OD at this point is to use it's weather engine for your flight.

3rd.  You will follow the same procedure above using the "Community Themes" or make your own "Custom Texture Themes"

To use the Community Themes Click on the number on the left side this will allow you to see what textures they used in their theme if you like it and want to use that theme then click "Install" and close REX4 T.D. If you don't like that one you can keep clicking on the numbers of each Theme until you find one that you like and want to use. When you do Click Install and close REX4 T.D.

Guys I want to clear a few things up about this post,

1st. When you open REX3 DO NOT click on the "I Just Want To Fly" button on the main screen!!!  If you do REX3 will immediately and automatically start generating and installing a random texture set that will override the set that you have installed.

2nd. All of the directions I listed above are assuming you want REX4 T.D. to create a random set of textures that best suits the "Real World Weather" for the AP your are departing from and for your flight. Once you have done that click Cancel and Close REX4.

You would then open REX3 and choose weather, type in the same ICAO and click "Fly Now" this will let the REX3 weather engine maintain the "Real World Weather" for your flight that you just had REX4 randomly generate the best textures for.

Where the confusion lies is here it seems. If you create a custom theme and load/install it into FSX from REX4 and you want to keep using YOUR theme you don't even have to open REX4 again until you want to load/install a new set of textures.

The REX4 theme or textures that you have installed into FSX will remain in FSX until you change them to something new. Just as REX3 did.

So lets say you have installed one of yours or one of the community texture themes and those are the ones you want to use, all you need to do is open REX3 and hit the "Fly Now" tab and go fly. REX3 will generate weather for your flight it just won't necessarily be "RWW" (what it is actually doing in that area of your flight real world) If you want "RWW" just open REX3 and click the weather tab and then type in the ICAO of the AP you want to depart from and let it load the weather then hit "Fly Now"  Easy as pie!!

To ensure REX3 does not install any textures you can go into the REX3 Options page and un-check all of the options there.

I apologize if I created some confusion, But I just assumed that previous REX3/ESS.P+OD users would be familiar with loading "RWW"

I hope this clears things up

Cheers, James

• Like 7

James,

Just took the PMDG NGX from Kuala Lumpur to Penang with real weather using your advice and what a wonderful dusk flight it was. Multi layered clouds, solid overcasts and exactly the real tropical dusk weather I remember flying with Air Asia in the same place and at the same time. Except they flew A320s but hey......

regards

Gerry

Gerry, We aim to please!  We hope you Enjoy many more great flights with REX.

Thanks for this - but I wish this procedure was in the REX4 manual as I've been hitting 'OK' instead of 'CANCEL' for weeks and wondering why it was always sunny and calm in FSX Edinburgh while in real world Edinburgh, outside my window, it was chucking it down... I'm guessing this was because hitting 'OKAY' in REX4 launches REX3 and FSX at the same time, screwing up the sequence? I only figured it out for myself last night before I could view these forums. One last thing - is there any need to 'deselect all' the texture check boxes in REX3 configuration - to ensure it doesn't overwrite REX4 textures? Or is that an unnecessary precaution?

Cheers,

Andy

Edited by AndyB_1972

In short:

1. Use REX 4 to generate textures based on ICAO code, exit by canceling out instead of fly now.

2. Start up REX 3 for weather engine only... as at ICAO location. Initiate FS (fly now) from REX 3 .

Note: don't install rex3 textures.

Thank You. I just switched to all steam and windows 8.1. With this post it brought it all together. It was the starting sequence that I did not fully understand. Again, Thank You. 

I followed the directions above but I guess I'm still missing something. I did do the Steps 1 and 2, saved my theme and installed it and then closed REX 4 and opened REX 3 and when I hit the fly now button, it opens FSX. (I unchecked all options in REX 3 except auto open FSX as per other directions if that was right). It doesn't show my weather theme. REX 3 used to show" user defined" from REX 3. I even printed out your directions to follow........I also don't see the green bar on top saying REX is loading weather....maybe that isn't the new way anymore?  Thanks.

Edited by Jammerjonn

Jon, please open up a new thread on the matter in the correct area of our forum where we can assist you.

Ok sorry I did post it in another thread but didn't get a response. I got it working 50%.....