Raebo

RESOLVED FSX now grainy

I just bought REX E plus/overdrive v3.

I did not want to do an update from REX 2.0

Seemed everything was ok it loads into FSX with no problem.

I did a few flights ( 35 to 50 fps ) everything looked/worked great.

Then I downloaded the grass and a few other enhancements offered from the download centre.

Now FSX upon opening looks grainy, the overall texture is now grainy like the grass.

Im not sure if its the free enhancements or something else?

FSX is no longer clear with a smooth texture like it was.

I fly FSX bootcamped on a Mac pro.

As a Mac user I am not well versed in how to move around in the PC world.. adding/removing files.

but i am getting better at it.

Thanks 

Rae Farrell

PS I now use Windows 7/64

Edited by Raebo

No

Not sure how to do that Tom

Like I said pls bear with me.

I follow instructions well though

I could uninstall REX, use the free cleaner suggested in the manual.

But I feel that FSX textures have now been changed so an uninstall may do me no good.

I open FSX without loading REX and the grainy look is still there.

I am still running great FPS, yet the grass, ramps, and the trees especially flicker especially snow.

Also Tom my aircraft outside view and the clouds look great very crisp, its just the grass, the ramps, trees and distant lighting

@ night that really sparkles with lots of movement/flickering. 

More info

I did an  outside view again using zoom of the terminal, ramp equipment, its just the grass areas that are really grainy

the parking areas are ok, the aircraft and the sky have never looked so good, crisp and clear.

The grass now has a texture resembling the gravel roofs on the terminal buildings.

I was in PANC yesterday with a light dusting of snow on their grass areas, it became unbearably grainy and flickering.

The snow made the problem even more pronounced.

I did a top down view of the airport area, as I zoom further up it shows just the grass area's just around the airport  for a mile or so shimmy's and/or sparkle's like crazy, yet the rest of the FSX terrain outside the airport area's iare just fine.

I wonder if when I fly that this grainy area around me will follow me  as I fly away from the airport, or will it simply be around all airports when I land/taxi.

Thats why I think it could be that grass enhancement offered in REX downloads, that I downloaded.

More info.

I just did a short flight at Flt level 2500 to see if the top down view showed this shimmering sparkling area around the airport actually followed the aircraft as it fly's away, and it does.

When I fly now this flickering sparkling area actually follows me around, so can't fly out/away from it.

Because they HD grass textures you need to reset the TEXTURE_LOAD to 4096 within your fsx.cfg file

Sorry to be a pain Tom

I have gone into Microsoft/textures but I don't see under the t's TEXTURE_LOAD

If and when I find it how do I reset it?

Rae

This was a comment made in the A@A forum

Is this anything to do with my problem?

Firstly, let we warn you that the REX bumpmap file to make grass look grainy will make GEX textures grainy too, everywhere, including snow. If all you are using is a REX grass texture and have not installed their detail1.bmp which changes the grain on all ground scenery then what you have is fine. But do be aware that roads, snow, everything on the ground will become as grainy as the REX grass" - 
I have used this detail1.bmp replacement file in the past. It definitely makes the grass look better, as D says, but I was rather bothered flying over the roads and other such things and seeing the same texturing. I guess it depends what one wants to emphasize in their sim. Certainly go ahead and try it out, but make darn sure to back up that detail1.bmp just in case you are bothered by some of its side effects

OK

I went to Appdata> roaming> microsoft> FSX>, 

I found the fsx.CFG.txt note pad

went down the list found TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024

under it I added               TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096

Do I add TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=4096 below TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024  or simply remove  TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD=1024 all together?

While waiting for help I just placed it below, fired up REX/FSX and I still have the grainy grass and very moving swirling agitated distant lights @ (NIGHT).

please advise

Just delete the 1024 numbers and add 4096 after the equal sign.

Regards.

Gary

So only one line appears with the TML =4096

Edited by jrrbolkin

Hi Gary

Well the manual said I needed to do this anyway if I want to experience HD.

However this did not solve the problem.

Just a thought can I extract the free grass REX download out of FSX as my problem started after I  downloaded the grass enhancement.

The grass and surrounding area is shimmering with back specs, a very coarse pepper ( grainy ) look.

Thanks

Rae

TML will reset to 1024 when you restart FSX. Do a Google search for Frosty software. They have a nice little app. that allow you to keep your cfg. TML without having to go into the cfg. and enter it again.

Here is the link.

http://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/18947/fsx-texture-max-load-editor-v12197/

Edited by gets

Problem solved.

""Wow"" REX in HD?  Heaven

Thanks to the folks that helped me with this problem.

Wonderful product, great support.

Raebo