Sign in to follow this  
greg

RESOLVED Question about weather

I was about to fly in Antarctica. Actually I've got weather on 2 or 3 sites (I mean airports). I noted that is better than before all your updates, some good news for me!

=> What can you advice to me to get the benefit of REX in others places please? What option should I tick or put in the configuration (weather engine tab)? I think about:

- the larger regions?

- the greater time of change (if I "catch" some weather, I'll keep it a longer time? True?)

- Avg. station (right) and not accurate?

PS: I actually use "WX Plus" mode.

Thank you!

Hi, Greg. Just a few thoughts of mine concerning data coverage in Antarctica. Unless things have changed significantly, all weather engines I know more or less suffer from outdated, unreliable or even no data down there. So you might be better off with a random theme or data from a somehow fitting station. Even manual FSX weather might do the trick if you google 'typical' conditions beforehand and use the advanced weather menu from FSX itself.

I think the data coverage and reliability really is an issue that far South and I saw non REX weather engines trying to interpolate something really wonky. Hence the note on maybe going manual. As an exception.

Side note, when using Aerosoft's scenery addon, the manual gives good tips and also explains why the clouds will always look odd for example.

/ sent from a mobile thingy /

@greg -  I have to agree with coolp about the coverage down south.  The data we get from there is extremely sparse and often outdated.   There really isn't much more we can suggest beyond what we are provided from NOAA or VATSIM.

I am just checking in to see if the issue you are experiencing has been resolved?

I am just checking in to see if the issue you are experiencing has been resolved?

Hi to all,

Thanks for answers; excuse me for delay but I've been out of the forum for awhile. Perhaps I'll try some random weather yes. Yes, I've read the informations in Antarctica X user guide: but the showing doesn't matter at this moment.

Even if this provides not real weather (I mean unreliable), am I on the good to hope to get some weather if I choose what I've written please in order to catch a weather station? -> bold

"What can you advice to me to get the benefit of REX in others places please? What option should I tick or put in the configuration (weather engine tab)? I think about:
- the larger regions?
- the greater time of change (if I "catch" some weather, I'll keep it a longer time? True?)
- Avg. station (right) and not accurate?
"

In other terms, I want that REX uses the larger range to catch a station: for example, if I'm at Marambio or Rothera bases, I would catch Ushuaia station weather.

See Google Earth please as an illustration: try to find this in the search tool -> 58 10 51.46 S, 60 44 35.90 W and zoom out (a lot?); you'll see the extremity of Antarctica (where I want to fly for example) and the extremity of South America, perhaps the nearest weather station that I can catch?

Thank you to try to understand my questions!.

Edited by greg

Hi,

It seems that weather is depicted by REX near Marambio and Rothera bases; not in others locations.

I think I must be satisfied with that.

Hoping your answers about the bold parameters, please.

Thank you.

Another idea? Could you put some "fake" weather stations in your DB so that they would be performed as real ones? REX shouldn't see anything? You could "copy" nearest weather datas to simulate their propagation? ???

Edited by greg

Please do the following:

1.) Open REX and navigate to the COnfiguration Manager->Weather tab

2.) Move the Weather Surface Region to Large

3.) Under Weather Interpolation Settings - enable Synpotic weather intperpolation  (This provides the "Fake" weather stations). Disable all other interpolation options.

4.) If you want to retain the current weather longer, the disable Enable weather download and set the Weather Refresh Rate to 60 minutes.

Thank you Reed, I'll try. I have to put the Standard mode in order to move the options as mentioned (I had selected WX+ mode before).

If there is nothing else, can I mark this closed?