Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

RESOLVED Wave animation not working?

I just realized my wave animations don't seem to actually be animated.  I thought it was something to do with flying up high around 28-30K feet but I got down low 500-1000 and still can't see the animation.  It looks like it's paused which is just weird.  I do have wave animation checked and DX10 optimized also because I'm using the DX mode in FSX with the various DX10 patches that have been put out.  I'm pretty sure it was working before the latest update to REX Ess+ OD.  I'm running version 3.7.3013.0715.

edit:  Oh, wave animation is DXT1 mode.  I don't think I've ever tried 32bit though.

edit2:  Tried DX9 mode FSX as well along with unchecking the DX10 optimized animations and the same thing, no animation.

Be carefull if you change from DX9 to DX10 or reverse: flush the shaders cache.

What I would do:

- if you were using DX10, conserve it (launch FSX, put the option, then close FSX)

- flush the shaders cache: delete the content of C:\Users\myLoginName\AppData\Local\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders10 directory (path given for Windows 7)

NB: you can also delete the Directx9 folder because useless

- edit your FSX.cfg: search for the parameter SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=xxx and increment by 1 (in fact put another number, that's all)

- save FSX.cfg

- launch REX and copy the textures with DX10 optimized clouds and DTX1 water checked

- launch FSX

- fly over various situations so that shaders can be rebuild (you can have some little stutters or black squares the first times FSX rebuild the elements): over water, start engine and land for smokes, light all your strobes, landing lights and so on (wait until black squares disappear), fly at night, dawn and dusk.

Have a try? Good luck.

Definitely tried all that, no go.  If I set a float plane on the water you can see a very pixelated white-ish texture moving by.  At altitude (couple thousand feet) you see what looks like a static paused waves.  I looked up a few youtube videos to make sure I wasn't crazy and yeah something isn't working right.

Here's a couple screenshots of the problem.  The first (and the second) you can see a blocky texture.  This actually "floats" past the plane when sitting on the water (if you're flying you can't see it moving past, kinda of moves like the contrails texture just straight and constant).  Also you can really tell in the second picture it looks like that blocky texture is underneath some weird surface layer.  If it will help I can fraps a quick video.

Lfd7X.jpg

zYOLI.jpg

Hi,

If you done that in the order mentionned...

Change the water level: which level have you? Put to Mid 2.x or low 2.x to force the change.

Your sky is strange: verify that you're with 32 bits Windows background i.e. desktop, not 16. Show a post with clouds too...

Already changed the water level, no change.  The sky is fine, it's just the angle of the screenshots and whatever sky texture REX loaded and some default visibility.  Clouds are fine too as per this screenshot I posted earlier in the week (the same night I decided my wave animations seemed to be broken)

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/27084-over-the-persian-gulf/

Ok I realized my shader cache entry is named a bit different, it's listed as shader_cache_primed and shader_cache_primed_10.  If I change the number, it reverts back after loading the sim on the _10 (I assume for DX10).

Yes, the 3 options exist!

"Yours": shader_cache_primed and shader_cache_primed_10; yes, 1rst for DX9, 2nd for DX10.

"Mine": SHADER_CACHE_VERSION <- this 3rd one must be change!

Repeat the process...

I have no shader_cache_version entry even in old fsx.cfg copies from months ago.

Ok I created a short video clip.  On the water over both tropical and regular ocean textures and flying over ocean textures.  You can see it looks like the animation is underneath some sort of water texture and looks really weird.

I have no shader_cache_version entry even in old fsx.cfg copies from months ago.

Then put it!

Your sky is strange: verify that you're with 32 bits Windows background i.e. desktop, not 16. Show a post with clouds too...

Did you do that?

I created a short video clip

Phases 1 an 2 are weird; phase 3 isn't so weird...

Yes I'm 32bit, 16bit is not even showing up as an option in FSX right now (possibly the 314.22 driver?  it used to show).  The sky is a very washed out sky texture from REX trust me it's fine.  Did you even look at the screenshot thread I linked above showing clouds & sky from just the other night?  (I had noticed the water issue before that)  Oh, I did find where to put the cache version entry, it had no effect.

Hope you'll find with the REX Team.

Was asking for the colors of the Windows desktop NOT FSX...

I am very sorry this got overlooked.

I need to know what your OPTIONS settings are within REX.  Please provide a screenshot of that screen as well as  your Display/Scenery Settings within FSX.

In the meantime I am going to leave this Under Dev Review.

Ok as requested.  Let me know if you need any other info.  Oh, just to note, I only recently unchecked loading the water textures (after creating this support request) just so REX loads textures faster since there's only one set of water textures included and I'm not currently flying over tropical areas again right now.  In other words I unchecked those 3 so REX isn't loading the same water textures every time and taking forever to load.

oF0ZA.jpg

5tveF.jpg

QNpDf.jpg

Edited by flyinion

Thank you for the screenshots.

Please do the following:

1.) In FSX -> Display -> Scenery move your water effects all the way to the right.  You might want to reduce your Texture resolution slightly to help with FPS.

2.) In REX -> OPTIONS -> Change your Wave Animation to 32bit, go to TEXTURES and click on the Wave Animation section and select Sparkling.  Then click the Install button.

That should do the trick.

Hmmm I'll try that and see if it makes a difference but I have already tried changing the water effects slider on its own and it had no effect.  I didn't do it at the same time as changing to 32bit though.  So, is this procedure supposed to reset something?  Or is what I'm seeing actually normal for the settings I'm running?  If what I'm seeing is actually normal, I can live with it for a couple months until I build my new PC.  I just seem to remember maybe back on REX 2.0 that the water/animation didn't have these problems.

So, no change, this is what I got when I tried that.  The animation looks like it's underneath a static texture that is sitting on top.  Is that correct?  If not maybe I have a corrupt water file of some sort but I have no idea how to fix it.

U3sh.jpg

Charles,

The 'blockiness' is due to the DXT1 option checked in REX. 32Bit yields better fidelity. Also, you have to understand, the degradation of the textures are more noticeable when you get extremely close in proximity. But try 32bit, it will have less 'artifacts' but at the cost of FPS. We give this option for people who want a more fluid experience with lower-end systems.

Also, what you show in the video is proper, DX10 is what it is in FSX. But I have to say that there is some strangeness going on, not sure how to pinpoint it. Is this a vanilla installation of FSX? Did you apply any tweaks such as bjote's water tweak or similar that would interfere with your waterconstants file?

Charles,

The 'blockiness' is due to the DXT1 option checked in REX. 32Bit yields better fidelity. Also, you have to understand, the degradation of the textures are more noticeable when you get extremely close in proximity. But try 32bit, it will have less 'artifacts' but at the cost of FPS. We give this option for people who want a more fluid experience with lower-end systems.

Also, what you show in the video is proper, DX10 is what it is in FSX. But I have to say that there is some strangeness going on, not sure how to pinpoint it. Is this a vanilla installation of FSX? Did you apply any tweaks such as bjote's water tweak or similar that would interfere with your waterconstants file?

Hi Tim, yeah I understand the blockiness.  I was concerned that it looked like the moving water texture (as you can see in the video a few posts up) looks like it's underneath a static texture and I was thinking that wasn't right.  I see beautiful shiny and "animated" looking water in screenshots all the time where mine looks flat when down at the water level or pretty much a textured (wave shapes) but unmoving water at altitude.  

The thing is I had been away from FSX for a while since I built this machine and installed the base install of FSX back in 2010, though I've had REX and some other addons for a while.  So that's why I was concerned that maybe I just wasn't remembering correctly how water looked.  That wouldn't explain why my water looks different than other people's though.  I've tried going back to DX9, cleared shader cache's, etc. and both modes show the same odd effect (and I'm sure it was doing this before I went to DX10 I just didn't pay much attention to it at the time).  

If you haven't looked at that video link I posted please do because it will for sure show you exactly what I see.  The only other water tool I remember using is FSWC and FSWC lite for their sample of a DX10 version that comes with lite.  I also made sure to even re-apply the stock FSX water settings in FSWC when testing DX9 mode.  I don't recall ever applying any tweaks to a waterconstants file though.  Is it possible to get a copy of a new one from somewhere to swap out and see?

edit:  added a few bits about FSWC

Edited by flyinion

I understand you've seen great stuff by others, and most are definitely with REX/FSX/NON-DX10/FSWC, and yes I watched the vid above. Wave animation just isn't as refined in DX10 as opposed to Non. 

Also, remember, there are MANY, MANY sets to choose from in REX. Choose others and experiment, it's why we made SO many variations for you to choose from.

PM me your email address and I will send you a default waterconstants file.

Thanks, I sent you my email.  Yeah I'll have to play with it some more this weekend.  Like I said I think my main concern was that something was broken since the animation seemed to be underneath the water surface and that didn't seem right.  Like it had layers of stuff in the wrong order or something.  I suppose I'll find out for sure in a couple months or so when I build my new PC and reinstall everything.  If it wasn't for that I'd do it now but I don't want to pop up on the FSX activation server and get popped for potentially overusing my key and end up having to do a phone activation when I get to the PC rebuild time.  I've definitely seen a number of wave animations from REX via "wx influenced" or trying out a few.  They all seem to look like that video when down on the water though.

I fear that activation fiasco as well, just glad it hasn't happened yet. Be sending you the file shortly.

Well, I may have found a bit of the problem.  I switched from FSWC Lite's DX10 sample back to the default one and it looked a lot better.  I.e. it didn't have a spot of hazy texture in the middle of the screen like my screenshots and the video.  I think it was actually still there and more spread out across the whole scene but it was hard to tell.  Anyway, I'm going to definitely do some more testing when I get a chance with both DX9 and 10 now with FSX settings vs. FSWC to see.  I also just ran across a video on youtube from FSWC that makes me think some of what I'm seeing is normal.  The only problem with the default water in DX10 (maybe DX9 too it's been a while) and even with REX animations and water textures is that when you get down on the water it reflects the haze in the sky and looks horribly pale.

even with REX animations and water textures is that when you get down on the water it reflects the haze in the sky and looks horribly pale.

That's not a fault of REX, it's the FSX engine! Also, don't use 2X med or above, use 2X low.