J41 or b200

umm...title  

15 members have voted

1. 1. which one you think is better ??

• Carenado b200
    • PMDG J41
    • other (please specify in reply)

Good day everyone !!

I am looking to getting either Carenado B200 or PMDG J41...can you help me choose ?

I know it's not a big deal and probably should get both, but I'm only interested in one or the other. I have Carenado Malibu Jetprop and it's great, but I think it's a little "lite" in terms to systems, but I still luv it !!

I'm really big fan of sharpness of textures and model quality, you know, if it's a circle, I don't like to see polygons..well, mostly.

Do you guys think PMDG is as good as carenado in terms of textures ? because in some pix, I saw wings have some blurriness on them, don't know if it was just low settings in the sim or if it's like that. Also, are the avionics really crisp or do hey have blurring when zoom in somewhat..

I'd really like you guys to post some pix of pmdg who has one of some close ups.(if you can) I mean B200 is I'm sure great in quality, but I want J41 if it's just as great on the graphics.

Thanx and I really appreciate it !!

OH AND REALLY IMPORTANT !!! Can you activate PMDG from another PC if it's boxed version or do you need to activate at all ?? I have a desktop on which FSX runs and it's not connected to the world... :P

I know carenado is easier on this and I love them for that !!!

EDIT: do the lights light up the ground in pmdg or do they just wash it out and you don't see anything ?? also, is there a cockpit lighting texture during day, because it is so annoying likew in defaults if it's like two seconds past dawn, night lighting disappears and even though you have lights on, cockpit is still dark ?

Edited by Vik

I voted J41. But I don't have the C200 and will definitely get it soon, because I'm a PMDG and Carenado junk! The J41 is one great joy to play with in the simulator and goes well between the small stuff and the big iron! Lots to learn and lots to demolish when not handling it correctly!

Hello Vik!

... if You want some really well modelled systems then the J41 is certainly the way to go!

If You want to find out a bit what You can expect from it, maybe have a look at the manual (available for free at the PMDG-site via download here: http://www.precision...loads/docs.html

... be advised though:

You will receive some 500+ pages PDF files to read into including a 90+ pages PDF, which will introduce You to this fine add-on!

Really interesting to dig into it, but sure:

It will take time!)

Carenado on the other hand certainly offers a lot and is most superb when it comes down to textures - no doubt about that!

And as a matter of fact:

By keeping in mind that the J41 add-on is also already some years old, Carenado's B200 will certainly outrun the J41 texture-wise... but then again:

System-wise the J41 will most likely be the better way to go.

You may ask, why i reply here at all although i currently neither have one of these planes in my hangar:

Simple answer:

I also think about purchasing either way both or one of them!

So i am very thankful for the poll You have started here.

I just may have it a bit easier to decide because i am very happy with my PMDG 737 for FSX, which is keeping me busy enough and because i am very much looking forward to some adequately modelled P3D add-ons, which Carenado's B200 is.

But by the end of the day, i think i will purchase both anyways .- the J41 for FSX and the B200 for P3D :D

Nevertheless - maybe really have a look at the manuals from PMDG mentioned here - if You should not have done so anyways - and maybe someone will post some "compare-screenies" here too, so You can make the best choice for You then!

I don't think that Online-Validation is required for the J41, but I cannot tell for sure!

Maybe someone else could answer this too?

Cheers, Christoph

P.S.: I did not vote for one of them here - ... yet! ;)

P.P.S.:

Have You maybe also considered to take a look at the Real Air Duke?

I think this would be under the catagory "other" here in the poll - but i thought it to be an alternative add-on really worth to be mentioned here - "Other" though!

It's certainly a bit different type of plane, but certainly offers a great compromise between system-depths and texture-quality. That's why i mentioned it here! ... and for me personally it is one of the greatest twin-engine GA add-on planes in my hangar.

Edited by elephantshapedcloud

wow !! thanx for some really thorough post !! i really appreciate the info and will look into the manual...i read the reviews a bit and yes, it seems like very complex and i do like some systems to be modeled...to be honest with you sometime i just do ctrl+e and go oh and about beech duke realair...i kinda like it, but it just feels like same size craft only w/ two engines........i wanted something a little bigger and twin, but not turbofan...i like props better. when carenado released c90, i was like oohhh, amazing graphics, but too small, but when b200 came out, i was like o right!!! but waay too simple...i wished it had a system or two, but graphics are hands down best !!

oh and i found another one quite nice...not released yet, but if it will be less than 50$ i'm in !! majestic dash-8 q400........check it out !! http://samdimdesign.free.fr/ click on first aircraft and "work in progress link" they have some screens. i like it

Hi Vik!

... HA! i can fully understand that "ctrl+e kick-start-issue" so to speak ... - i - and i guess all of us here certainly use this "shortcut" from time to time too ;)

And i understand Your reasons, why the Duke does not fit for what You are searching for.

I do not know anything about samdimdesign so i can't say anything about them.

... but if a Dash-8 might be some option for You, maybe have a look at this one here - not yet released, but on its way!

And it will most certainly be a very, very great Dash 8 add-on!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Majestic-Software-Dash-8-Q400/249628718485404

http://www.majesticsoftware.com/c/portal_public/layout?p_l_id=1.2&p_p_id=54

What also came into my mind was - although much slower than the J41 or B200 and also no real "high-flyer" either - but certainly very nicely modelled too and an add-on which i dare to say many simmers (including myself) are eagerly looking forward to - the new Version of the Aerosoft Twin Otter!

It is not yet released either, but looks most promising:

http://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/52170-twin-otter-x-extended/

And - before i forget:

Flight1 is also developing a Beechcraft King Air B200 - have a look at:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/forums.html

and scroll down there a bit to the "Flight1 Licensed Product Forums".

You will have to sign up to their forums and lock in. As soon as You have done so, You can read through all the threads concerning the B200 there too.

I guess that this B200 will offer very nice graphics as well as fine systems, once it will be available!

Cheers, Christoph

pmdg jetstream is 36.79 boxed version USD which looks like a great deal and boy am i itching....but the dash 8-400 from majestic is beta testing now and i think it's going to be great !! i'll probably have to wait for it to see what it costs.

twin otter is nice, but it's like a pickup truck in my opinion, i like something faster, but i like trucks nonetheless too. and the flight1 b200 is good, but ever since i got malibu, i keep comparing other things to it...hehe, like a benchmark...

i've also seen flight1 atr....72 i think, also nice, but i don't like the cockpit...gauges look like just glued onto firewall...pretty sure it's what it really looks like :P but i didn't like it much

maahn am i picky ? i wish i could ignore things sometimes....

EDIT: thx for keeping conversation alive and ideas coming

Edited by Vik

Well then Vik - ... get Youreselve the J41 for now and the Dash 8 by Majestic - what about that? :lol:;)

I don't think You will be dissapointed!

Why? Because although i hope it to be released soon, who can really tell for certain when the Dash 8 will be released exactly ...

And indeed - and as pointed out - the Twin Otter is certainly no fast flyer, so i fully understand that it doesn't fit for what You are looking forward to at the moment! Just thought it to be worth mentioned as well!

Concerning the Fligh1 B200, well: One last note here from my side concerning it:

I would not judge it by how the ATR 72 looks nowadays, simply due to the fact that the F1 ATR is also quite some years old by now - but(!) as far as i know, it was a great add-on back then when it was released - also graphicswise - and still has some nice system-features!

So i think You can be quite certain, that Flight1's B200 will most likely become an Add-On certainly worth keeping an eye on:

Systems- and graphicwise!

Looking forward for what plane You will finally purchase - maybe show some screenies with it here then ;):) !

Happy flyings,

Christoph

congrats 500 posts !!

u know, maube u're right...i'm probably picking too much..i just hope i don't haave to activate it through internet on the same pc, but i read somewhere offline activation possible on aerosoft through e-mail....i'll check more and then probably get it

HI!

Definitly JS41. I flew lot of time this machine. Need to read manual. Then You can "burn this baby" ;-)

Also I record some tutorial on YT:

Hope it help to make decission.

well, I appreciate all input !! just placed an order for J41 and checked out, but can you believe this ? i waslike hmm, i wonder if amazon.com had this thingy for sale AND IT DID !! :o:P

i feel so silly, i paid 42.95 with all taxes and shipping, when amazon, has same thing for 36 shipping included...$ 7 difference...i kick myself in the head :P not too hard, really soft..

o well, did not do research all the way on pricing. here's the link if anyone wants one... http://www.amazon.com/PMDG-BAe-Jetstream-4100-Windows-Pc/dp/B003QP44TY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1353711979&sr=8-1&keywords=aerosoft+j41 sorry it's so long..i guess you can say it costs $ :P

i'm not disappointed though...maybe will be if i will have hard time activating w/ internet on my flying machine. :lol:

oh and manuals do tend to look scary :P i wonder if i'll be able to start it in a month. thanx for the link to pdf's elephant shaped cloud and also thank you for the link to the vid Jodle, i'm going to need those tutorials !!

maahn, can't thank you enough for help !

I'll post pix when i get it and i'll invite u guys to eat burgers with me when i cook 'em one of the engines. BRING SODA !! :lol:

Hello Vik!

The J41 is certainly worth all its money - and no need to be afraid of the manuals - take Your time and You will see:

Once You are into it, it will become certainly most rewarding!

I experienced the same with PMDG's wonderful 737 NGX in the beginning. But by now i will never ever want to miss it any more!

Sure:

The learning-curve was a rather tough one too - but HEY! It is a sim and it was great fun also! :lol:

So: Enjoy it all!

By the way:

The B200-link You mentioned here is pointing to the "old" version of Flight1's B200 - But (!):

There is a new one to be released from Flight 1 on its way - and this "new and yet to be released version" is the one i was referring to!

Just in case You may want to have a look at it also, once it's available then.

Happy flying,

Christoph

P.S.: A great video here Lukas!

HAHA, i knew the b200 was not the one you mentioned :lol: anyways, i feel like i'm getting the idea about the start up..i think....oh and by the way !! I received the dvd with j41, but boo-hoo :P i can't use it....online activation, and i don't have my desktop wired to the world/.....i just hope they have some sort of offline activation. a little disappointed too, because i had a day off, could've been a good opportunity for a get to know :D

http://forum.aerosof...ess-violations/

i found this link and sent them support request via e-mail, so not all hope lost....for all of us internet-crippled desktoppers......umm, am I the only one with a pc in a wheelchair ?? :P

I wish it was as simple as carenado or REX.

I'll post screenies if I get this thingy working.

Oh, and boy what a difference in votes......j41 leading the way, big time. :o hehe, no votes on other....hmm.......................? ;)

edit: violation of rule, sorry

Edited by Vik