PulledYourLeg

RESOLVED New Install - REX Crashes, Support Please

Hi All - brand new to both REX, this forum, but not to FSX!

I downloaded REX Essentials today and just finished installing it. When I try to load it however, it instantly crashes (I get a windows error message saying that windows is trying to find out why it crashed). I never even see a screen from REX. I've tried running in both normal and admin mode. I'm running Windows 7 x64. The install process of REX went fine - no issues.

Any idea what the problem could be?

Thanks,

Brian

Baltimore, Maryland / USA

Update - I still can't get REX to work, but I wanted to pass along the info that I verified the MD5 checksum value of the zip file I downloaded and it was 100% accurate, so the issue has nothing to do with the zip file I downloaded. I also went into the directory where REX was installed (the default directory, I didn't change where it installed) and found an updater exe. I tried to run that and got an error message pop-up. Can't remember what it said, and I'm not at my home computer right now so I can't give that information.

Thanks,

Brian

Hi Brian,

I verified you, no worries :)

The updater is not functional at this time, don't bother trying to run it. I don't think it was an install issue whatsoever, but to be sure, I will need some info from you first. Please see this thread and place ALL pertinent information into your signature.

http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/18322-read-if-you-are-posting-for-support/

Also, you will notice an area on our forum dedicated to REX Essential, from now on please use that area for support inquiries. I will move this thread there now.

Thanks in advance.

I added as much info to my signature as possible from memory. I'll add more later this evening when I'm home and can verify everything.

Other info:

1. Is the problem related to a full install of REX Essential or an upgrade from old version of REX to REX Essentiail? Full install of REX Essential

2. Do you start REX by RIGHT CLICKING the exe file and selecting RUN AS ADMIN? I've tried running REX.exe both in normal mode and in admin mode. I get the same result either way - it crashes as soon as it starts, and I never even see the REX screen, I just get a Windows pop-up that tells me that the program has crashed.

Even more info:

1. I've tried rebooting and reinstalling the software (I uninstalled first, then reinstalled). Same result (program crashed)

2. I've verified the MD5 checksum to make sure that the zip file I downloaded wasn't corrupt, and it was verified 100% accurate. Even so, I downloaded a second copy of the zip file and tried the install again -- same result (program crashed).

3. I've tried running REX.exe both while FSX is running and when it isn't -- same result (program crashed)

4. All Windows updates are installed. The system is relatively new - only six months or so I believe, and hardly any software is installed.

5. I've also tried installing REX in both the "Program Files" and the "Program Files x86" directories. The first time I installed it I let it install in the default folder, but I can't remember which folder that was. Same result regardless of which folder the software was installed in - program crashed.

I look forward to getting this working. I appreciate the rapid responses!!!

Right click on the desktop icon and click on properties. Click on the compatibilities tab and the only thing checked should be under the Privilege Level."run this program as administrator". Let me know.

When you say "when I try to load" do you mean the installer or the program?

I can't tell from your order number but did you do the upgrade or the full install of REXE?

If you did have a prior version of REX which one was it?

Bob G.

Edited by gets

Hi Bob,

I'll check the compatibilities issue when I get home and I'll report back.

When I say "when I try to load" I mean when I run the program itself -- aka executing REX.exe (or whatever it's called). The installer has never given me any problems -- both installs I've done have gone smoothly with no signs of trouble.

My order was for a full, new version of REX Essentials. I've never owned any version of REX prior to this.

Ok. It's a problem that I can't remember being reported since REXE came out in May.

After a year of running FSX on my system, I went to start it yesterday and FSX said it could not find certain files in Program Files. I didn't do anything since I shut it down. Lucky I have FSX backed up on a removable HD. I installed certain files and FSX would start and run fine but after about a minute after take off, it would quit. I downloaded and installed Pete Dawson utility and re-installed MTX and it works fine now.

Windows 7 did an update and must have changed some things. Even a system restore didn't work.

Bottom line, things like this can be a pain in the ass.

Bob G.

I feel for ya... I did a Windows Update on my work computer about a month ago and suddenly my machine wouldn't boot to Windows anymore. Took lots of tinkering before I could even do a system restore.

Somewhat unrelated - I was reading about some of the PMDG planes. In their manuals, they talk a bit about the install process, and they mention that it's a good idea to install FSX right in the C: root, instead of putting it into one of the Program Files folders. Have you ever heard of this? I figured if you're an FSX tester that you might have an opinion one way or another.

I don't own any PMDG aircraft. I do know that some installers don't give you a choice to chose where your FSX exc. file is and they assume it's going to be in C:/program files/86x/microsoft/games/fsx. I have FSX on my SSD for faster loading times and most of my add ons on a conventional HHD.

Bob G.

Yes it will work as long as you enter where FSX is located. They don't have to be on the same drive and you may install each of them to whatever drive you want. You just have to left click on the drive you want. It will turn blue and you then right click on it and select "new" and then "folder" and name the folder FSX or REX for example. Then when you install something and asks you where you want to install it, just browse until you find the folder you have just created.

I personally don't like FSX in program/files/86x.

Bob G.

Bob,

I made sure that the only checked option under REX.exe > Properties > Compatibility is "Run this program as an administrator."

I also updated my system information - turns out I was wrong about the graphics and the amount of RAM, but I don't think either of those would be causing the issue here.

Also, turns out I did NOT have either SP1 OR SP2 installed. I just very recently (a few months ago) installed FSX. Anyway, I downloaded both service packs and installed them. (First I installed SP1, then ran FSX to let it finish updating, then I installed SP2, then ran FSX again to continue letting it update. Both SP1 and SP2 gave messages that confirmed a successful installation.)

Despite all of this, I still cannot run REX. I even completely disabled my virus protection, then tried running REX.exe as an administrator. As soon as I run it (double clicking) I get a Windows pop-up that says "REX Essential has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution to the problem." Surprise, surprise, Windows never finds anything... after about five seconds the window just goes away with no further notification.

The only thing I can think of left to do would be to uninstall FSX completely, along with REX, then reinstall both. But I'm not sure if that would fix the problem. I am sure that that would take a while, and I'd rather not do it unless that's the last resort....

Thanks again,

Brian

Brian. Do you have acceleration installed?

Bob G.

Bob,

No, I don't have Acceleration installed. I'm not much of a fan of the fast jets that come with it, so I don't see any reason why I should buy it. Do you?

Well, it comes with more than just the F-18. And for the price you can pick it up very cheap. It has more missions and extra features.

Back to your problem. Did you try Tim's fix?

Bob G.

I did, and no luck. Same result as before. Four of the six font files were already in place, so I replaced them with the ones Tim sent me. The other two didn't need to replace existing, so they copied over with no problem. All of the files went to C:\Windows\Fonts.

Has this ever happened before with other REX Essential users? I wonder what happens next. I know software glitches like this are bound to happen, so I'm willing to keep working at it. But at the same time I'm tired of drooling over youtube videos of other people flying around in REX.... I want my turn! :)

I have never seen the problem you are experiencing since the release of REXE back in May.

Let's try this. Remove REXE from your system, including any files or folders left over in the REXE directory. Run CCleaner and use it to clean your registry of any old REX files or whatever is in there when you run Ccleaner registry scanner.

Download and install REXE again. Making sure when you run the installer that you right click and chose run as administrator.

Once it's installed, right click on the REXE icon on your desktop and again chose run as administrator.

REXE should start and you should hear a loud clap of thunder when it does.

I wouldn't touch FSX yet.

Bob G.

Sounds like a plan. I'm familiar with CCleaner. When I get home later today, I'll give all this a try. Thanks... and keep your fingers crossed!

Ugh. The problems just won't stop. I tried running the uninstaller, but got an error. At first, the Windows Installer window comes up and says "Preparing to remove". Then I'm asked to give the installer permission to run (the installer file in question is "C:\Windows\Installer\46a48ad.msi"). I click yes to give it permission to proceed, and then I get a pop-up error that says:

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your suppor tpersonnel or package vendor."

At this point I decided to try to run that MSI file myself. I had to enable viewing of protected OS files, but then I found the C:Windows\Installer directory, and the MSI file within. I executed the file, which gave me the option to install, repair, or remove REX. I selected remove. During the removal process, I got the same question asking for permission to run the MSI file, so I said yes, and then I got the error about the problem w/ the windows installer package again.

But I didn't give up. I went back to run the MSI installer again, this time I tried "Repair". (REX is FUBAR, after all.) Then, during the "repair" process, I got an error that says:

"The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable. Click OK to try again, or enter an alternate path to a folder containing the installer package 'rexess_20120522.msi' in the box below."

The box below had this path in it:

C:\Users\Brian\AppData\Local\Temp\{18DBD626-1857-40CF-93CC-FADDA6851832}\

I did a quick Windows search for the file and found nothing, so I quit the "Repair" process. Once I hit cancel, I was assured that nothing was changed on my system.

Then I got mad. So I manually deleted the program files folder for REX. The folder was in C:\Program Files\___(whatever the default REX folder is called). Then I ran CCleaner and did a registry scan - over 1,000 items, and plenty of them were linked to REX installer issues. Not sure if this is because I just manually deleted the entire programs folder or not. Anyway, I chose to fix all of the issues (while backing up changes).

Then I tried reinstalling, by right clicking the installer file and selecting to run as admin. After it finished unpacking (or whatever the installer calls it), it asked me if I wanted to repair, modify, or remove the install. I was expecting the installer to perform a fresh install, but I guess the installer found some trace of an existing installation (surely a result of me manually deleting the program files folder). So this time I selected "Modify", since that's the only option I haven't tried yet. It went through a long process of copying files over. When it finally finished, it told me that it had finished unwrapping the files, and then the installer went away when I clicked OK. Then I tried running REX again. And again, it crashed.

Any more ideas? :/

Are you the administrator on your PC?

Do you have UAC in Windows turned OFF?

Well at this point we need to clean your entire system of traces of REX, because it most likely is again botched, and worse this time.

Try running the uninstaller yet again. Run it from the control panel/programs and features area of your system.

Open CCLEANER. Run it. Then click the REGISTRY tab, and click SCAN FOR ISSUES. After it scans, select FIX SELECTED ISSUES. Click NO for the pop-up. Click FIX ALL SELECTED ISSUES. Click CLOSE. QUIT CCLEANER.

Don't do anything else at this point. I would like to talk to you via phone or PREFERABLY skype. Where are you located? Do you have skype installed? If not, phone will suffice if you are in the states. I will try and help you this way. Send me a private message via our forum, and advise of your phone number.

Tim you be better off using team viewer since than you will have remote use of his pc this what i had to do with fscrew2 bryan helped me with a probelm using the team view option where he took control of my pc and solved the issue

When REX crashed did you look in your Application Events for Windows to see if it stated what was causing the crash? If so can you go there and post the reason for the crash?

Also, if you are having an uninstaller issue - this sound beyond REX. It sounds more like a Windows issue in general. You might have to restore Windows 7.

Hi. I bought REX essential yesterday and i'm having the same problem , tried everything possible and REX still doesn't load

When I try to load it , it instantly crashes (I get a windows error message saying that windows is trying to find out why it crashed). I never even see a screen from REX. I've tried running in both normal and admin mode. I'm running Windows 7 x64. The install process of REX went fine - no issues.

I didn't have any version of REX previsiously installes...

Need help with this one..

Thanks

Jonathan

Hi, can you select to show details of the error within the error message box? You can also try to check the event viewer of W7:

The system event log can be found (Vista and W7) here: Control Panel - Administrative Tools - windows event viewer - windows logs - application

In the application log we want to see entries with the same date/time stamp as the crash, with a red bullet in front of them (errors). The content of the messages can be cut and paste into your post.

Hi...

This is the event log in XML format:

- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">

- <System>

<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />

<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>

<Level>4</Level>

<Task>0</Task>

<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>

<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-09-17T03:21:03.000000000Z" />

<EventRecordID>30895</EventRecordID>

<Channel>Application</Channel>

<Computer>Jonathan-HP</Computer>

<Security />

</System>

- <EventData>

<Data>3083415783</Data>

<Data>5</Data>

<Data>CLR20r3</Data>

<Data>Non disponible</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>REX.exe</Data>

<Data>3.0.2012.27577</Data>

<Data>4fbabf63</Data>

<Data>System.Drawing</Data>

<Data>2.0.0.0</Data>

<Data>4f9267f5</Data>

<Data>7b0</Data>

<Data>6c</Data>

<Data>System.ArgumentException</Data>

<Data />

<Data>C:\Users\Jonathan\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFBFA.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml</Data>

<Data>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppCrash_rex.exe_4084a11293695dda05f2964142cf6ac3c73151_09910666</Data>

<Data />

<Data>0</Data>

<Data>b323b15b-0076-11e2-99e0-d48564ab7736</Data>

<Data>0</Data>

</EventData>

</Event>

I found out that it might be a .net framework problem , im running .net framework 4.0 , tried to install the version 2.0 but it says that it was already installed....

Im starting to think that i might have to reinstall windows....

Thanks