Hi Guys,

Is there ANYONE who has installed Overdrive without problems. ???? ?????

I have looked at nearly all the install problem topics and they all say the same thing and very few users appear to be able to resolve this issue satisfactorily despite the "RESOLVED" sticker.

To my mind, given the number of problems with this and they all appear to be Windows installer problems, it could well be time for someone at REX

to recognise that this is indeed a problem.

I have now spent 2 full days trying to install this and ALWAYS come up with the same "Windows Installer problem" I have followed the PDF manual

to the letter...I have followed a majority of the advise given in the forum and to date nothing seems to work. Unfortunately (for me) this appears to be worth the hassle to install if in fact, it ever does install,

WHY are so many people having problems? .... Surely we can't. all be doing the same thing so wrongly and so consistantly.

One thing i have noticed , which nobody has commented on is the dotnetfix file that comes with the unzipped download. I accidently clicked on that and was advised that it was 32bit and incompatable with my system, (Win7 Ultimate 64bit). Is this relevant? ????

Can anybody please shed some new light on this problem???

Thanks

TonyC

Hi, I understand your frustration, but the most topics about the installation problems were indeed resolved... But there comes a point where we run out of suggestions, simply because we're not behind the keys of your system... The installation of OD is indeed very sensitive. But there's a reason for that. We're installing an enormous amount of files to the system, after unwrapping those files into the temp install location on your system. The most common reasons for problems are the fragmentation level of the HDD, the free space on the HDD, firewall and system safety systems preventing the massive reading and writing of files, errors in the user input during installation to name a few...

If you want to, we'll gladly help you out, at least try to!

Hello Kees,

Thanks for your reply,

Yes, I would love to install this programme. Yes, I believe I do need the help and would welcome any specific suggestions.

In reply, specifically to some of your suggestions, I offer the following:

1. My HDD is an Adata SSD 256GB of which 170GB is free.

2. SSD drives do not require defragging and in fact, defragging is specifically ill-advised because of the level of wear and tear placed on it, and,

3. Install attempts have been made at all times, with UAC at its lowest level (off) and/or with Firewall turned off specifically for the install.

As stated in my first post, I do not know whether or not, the dotnetfix file is relevant (given that it is for 32bit system and my system is 64bit.)

I am at a loss here .... I think I have tried everything and obviously haven't. I have done a re-format of drive C and reinstalled everything with no problems with anything

other than OD. I have gone well beyond frustration and now am absolutely intrigued in the resolution (and ...yeehaaa) the eventual installation.

It is with gratitude that I accept your offer of help and I look forward to hearing from you further.

Thanks

TonyC

Kees,

I downloaded and tried to install dotnetfix (2) 64bit as an exercise in futility (I already have installed net4) i then copied the download to the unzipped OD and deleted version 2

32bit. Tried the whole exercise again with the same results.

I also forgot to mention the event viewer in my last post. How can I access that on my win7 system?

No further news

TonyC

Kees,

Sorry about this bit by bit approach mate (Perhaps I am the one needing Defrag LOL)

I have found and accessed the event viewer. I have 37 error items. All are error 1722 and all related to REC OD.

Log name Application Source MsiInstaller Event ID 11722

"Product REX for FS2004 Error 1722 ....etc.... Action REXFS9_OVERDRIVE_CLOUDS.exe, Location C:\Real Environment Extreme FS2004\REXFS9_OVERDRIVE.CLOUDS.exe, command: Command Line"

I am not able to interpret this so hope you can help out

Thanks again

TonyC

OK, am I right that you are installing the OD files from within the same directory as where they are to be installed? If so, that is not going to work. I also see that your C drive is the SSD, correct? Please inform us from in which directory your REX in installed (full path) and in which directory you have placed the downloaded and unzipped installation files for OD (full path). I would also like to know if you have a HDD in your system and what the free space on that device is. Are you familiar with changing the location of your temp directories?

The dotnetfix is not relevant on your system, it's included with the download for possible problems on systems other then yours.....

Kees,

Ok thanks for your reply

MY FS9 directory is a folder on Drive C - SSD ... REX is also on a seperate folder on Drive C:

I downloaded zip to drive D. Unzipped OD download to drive H (external drive) and to Drive F (FS9 Utilities)

I have installed to drive C:\ (problem) and drive C:\Real Environment Extreme FS2004 (problem) and drive C:\ Real Environment Extreme FS2004\ exefiles (problem) and to

C;\new folder (problem)

All installations have been done using Drive F and also Drive H numerous times .... always the same error and obviously in Win event viewer reflect the different Drive/Folder

selection.

I have 5 internal drives and one external drive

C 256GB - 164GB Free

D 512GB - 453GB Free

E 80GB - 40GB Free

F 1 TB - 723GB Free

G 512GB - 377GB Free (FSX installed)

H 256GB - 135GB Free (XPlane10 Installed)

External Drive is Lacie 1 TB 259GB Free Used as Backup Drive.

I am not familiar with changing the location of my temp directories.

Hope this helps mate

TonyC

OK thxs. Please try the following: uninstall REX from the SSD and remove leftovers directories and files, read here for the locations and procedures: http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/807-important-re-installation-procedures/ this is also applicable for REX for fs9. Also check this thread for possible solutions for the weather engine not injecting weather: http://www.realenvironmentxtreme.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5332-possible-solutions-for-weather-not-injecting/

Reinstall REX on a HDD in your system, directly under the root, eg D:\rexfs9. Install as administrator and turn UAC off. After this install, run the configuration of REX and close the program before installing OD. Move the OD files into a seperate folder on the HDD, doesn't have to be the same. Run the installer as administrator and make sure to manually browse to the REX location when asked by the isntaller where to install OD. Do not use the suggested location, even if it is correct!

Kees,

For your information the following actions completed:

1 REX uninstalled as directed. - Reboot

2. FSUIPC C3998J completely uninstalled - Reboot

3. FSUIPC C3998J reinstalled - Reboot

4. REX reinstalled as Administrator drive d\REX FS9 - Reboot

5. REX OD installed Drive D:\REX OD Error Win Installer (same error code 11722)

6. Reboot

7. REX OD installed drive f:\REX OD - Error (same again)

Any ideas????

Regards again

TonyC

This gets really weird..... I'll have to use more time on this one, give me a day (or two) as I'm also in the middle of beta testing the SP1 of REX Essential...

Kees,

More than happy to oblige. I/we have spent so much time on this one that another day or two or three isn't going to upset me lol.

Again thank you so much for your asistance so far

Regards

TonyC

Kees,

I appreciate you are busy but was just wondering how you are getting on?

Hope all goes well with you

Tony

Are you still installing the upgrade from your C drive?

Guitarman,

When i posted my last requesting an update< I noticed I had no signature at all. I went into my settings and all was revealed...my signature had disappeared??????

I simply redid and added a little like anti virus details, FSUIPC details and allowing REX through Firewall.

Kees certainly has a nerve hasn't he LOL Fancy taking a vacation.... is he allowed do that????. EXTRAORDINARY LOL Having demonstrated my bitter and twisted sense of humour, I apologise to all and sundry if I have offended them, Thank you for that Infomation though, Guitarman.

For rstough:

I have tried and failed, installing on every drive I own (6) for example: from inside drive c to REX in drive c ... from c to REX in drives d/e/f/g/h... from drive d to drive d and drives e/f/g/h/c and so on and on. It does not seem to matter where I install from or to, I always get the same error. I recently checked the error log and now have 54 error codes all exactly the same except reflecting the appropriate drives. It always stops at Clouds with the error.

I have followed procedures as cited by numerous moderators to carry out this installation and at this stage, to no avail.

Thank you for your interest and any further help will of course, be appreciated.

TonyC

Reed,

I have just sent you an email with thanks.

Lets put this to bed as fully and gratefully resolved.

Absolutely extraordinary (that is you and your service in addition to the programme)

Thank you Sir