saabpilot

RESOLVED Overdrive does not install

Install of the REX OD for FS2004 does not work.

It extracts the files OK, starts setup screen OK, selects install folder, waits for INSTALL button press, ... installs cloudpacks and stops with error message:

"There is a problem with the Windows Installer Package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.  Call your program vendor."

REX for 2004 bought 2 days ago and installed OK.

System:  WIN XP Pro 32 bits

Best,

Bjorn

Hi i had this same problem today as well and i have the same system as you . Even though the install path is automatically shown in the window, try manually browsing to it . Mine is C:\Program Files\Real Environment Xtreme for FS2004 ....yours may be different. This worked for me. I hope this help you too :)

Welcome to the forums coqui.

Could you please be so kind and add your REX order number and your sysem specs. Thanks.

Hi my ORDER Number: 691124

computer specs 

Dell inspiron 640m microsoft windws Xp professional 2.0 ghz processor 32 bit

Hi i had this same problem today as well and i have the same system as you . Even though the install path is automatically shown in the window, try manually browsing to it . Mine is C:\Program Files\Real Environment Xtreme for FS2004 ....yours may be different. This worked for me. I hope this help you too :)

Hi Coqui, thanks for the tip, but it did not do the trick  :(

Hopefully someone from REX can answer here.

Best,

Bjorn

Hi Bjorn, actually that tip should work if your system (XP 32) is not protected by overly active virus scanners.

Pls try the following.

1. remove all OD installation "remnants", keep the downloaded file!!

2. run ccleaner (freeware) to remove possible unused and/or wrong registry entries

3. Retry the install, make sure to manually browse to the location where REX.exe is located.

Tried that trick with ccleaner and manual browse - still no joy, so I am now d/l a new copy of OD 2004 and will install via that one, will let you know the result.

Bjorn

Have d/l a new copy - put the zip on the desktop and started autorun.exe from WinZip.

Same problem as in previous posts - installer stops with the error message above.  :(    :(    :(

Obviously something wrong in the installer since I see several similar post below in the forum.

Bjorn

Sorry Bjorn. But it cannot be the installer solo personificas, because it does install on many user systems. I'm trying to think what it could be on your system that prevents the installer from working as supposed.

How much free space do you have on your HDD? Esp. the volume where the Windows temp files are stored, mostly C:

Hi Keezondag,

Maybe not, but several people in this forum reports the same problem.

The only HD with OS and FS9.1 is a 150 GB WD Raptor and has 65 GB free so that is a non-problem I believe.

It seems like some component in XP vs the OD installer does not do the job, but every other program installer - even the REX2004  ver 1.0.2009.1201 works flawless.

Bjorn

www.boeing737sim.se

ORDER Number: 691124 (Simmarket)

computer specs 

Dell inspiron 640m microsoft windws Xp professional 2.0 ghz processor 32 bit

i use norton antivirus. I forgot to mention that i was running it in "SILENT MODE" when i ran the application. Some of these programs will stop some applications from running if it behaves like a viirus.Try turning off antivirus program or put it  in silent mode. also right click  and try running as Administrator. " i also had redownloaded a new application and had encountered the same problem ." Remember to mannually Browse to the REX 2004 folder." Guy i feel for you. I know how it is when these things don't work."

Bjorn, I'll do some further research and get back to you. (Impressive project in the works you got there!! ;D)

Thanks Kees, I am standing by on the taxiway  ;D

Coqui : Thanks for your input  -  No sign of any a/v stopping the install.

Bjorn

Bjorn, can you pls try the following:

1. Unzip the downloaded file into a separate directory

2. Now start the executable from within this directory

3. Browse to the location of REX.exe when asked where to install.

Hi Kees,

That is what I have been doing all the time - the separate directory on the desktop and start from within that.

I even tried to start direct from Winzip then the installer creates a temp directory.

None of the above methods helped.

Bjorn

I'm having the exact same problem.

Order #FSS0114209

nvidia GTX460

AMD phenom x6

6 gigs of ram

350GB of free space

I get the same error at the end of install that saabpilot gets.

-Carl

Björn and Carl, what is the full path to the REX installation directory on your system?

OD unzipped Installer files:  C:\Documents and Settings\-\Desktop\REX_OverDrive_FS2004_1.0\REX_OverDrive_FS2004_1.0

REX programfolder            :  C:\Program Files\Real Environment Xtreme FS2004

Bjorn

I also get the same error message and can not install the overdrive in fs9 either

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Where did you buy REX? I cannot find that specific order number in our database?

OD unzipped Installer files:  C:\Documents and Settings\-\Desktop\REX_OverDrive_FS2004_1.0\REX_OverDrive_FS2004_1.0

REX programfolder            :  C:\Program Files\Real Environment Xtreme FS2004

Bjorn

Can you try to copy the installer files to this (new) directory: c:/program files/installrex. Run it from there.

Okay I have got it to download into fs9 .....the instal is sending it to

C:/Program files/microsoft games/Real Environment Xtreme FS2004 

it needs to be sent to

C:/Program files/microsoft games/Real Environment Xtreme for FS2004 

You can browse to the correct location in the installer. That doesn't work?

I extracted my zip file to C:/Program Files (x86)/REX TEMPORARY

Started the rexfs9_overdrive_20101201.exe file

It automatically found the C:/Program Files (x86)/Real Enviornment XTreme FS2004 folder, and I clicked continue.

When it gets to the end of the install of Installing Cloud Packs, a window pops up saying

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package.  A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

Thanks-  Carl

I extracted my zip file to C:/Program Files (x86)/REX TEMPORARY

Started the rexfs9_overdrive_20101201.exe file

It automatically found the C:/Program Files (x86)/Real Enviornment XTreme FS2004 folder, and I clicked continue.

When it gets to the end of the install of Installing Cloud Packs, a window pops up saying

"There is a problem with this Windows Installer Package.  A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected.  Contact your support personnel or package vendor"

Thanks-  Carl

Even though it finds the proper location, browse manually to the proper location in that window before you select continue!