timest999

ANNOUNCEMENT
REX Essential - Feature #7 - Part 5

43 posts in this topic

REX ESSENTIAL - FEATURE # 7 - PART 5

CONFIGURATION - CLOUDS

Well we have finally made it to our final section in the configuration manager – clouds. We have taken a serious approach to give the user the best options to make FSX/P3D look like a new simulator. The cloud section provides the means to give the user the tools they need to accomplish this task.

MAXIMUM CLOUD TURBULENCE

Allows the user to define the maximum level that clouds will exert turbulence. This goes from the minimum level of 1 to maximum of 5. Level 5 will definitely shake and bake your passengers! This does not mean each cloud will experience level 5 turbulence, it just means that the user may experience up to level 5 turbulence.

MAXIMUM CLOUD ICING

Allows the user to set the maximum level in which icing will be experienced while flying through clouds. The minimum level of 1 means very little to the maximum level of 5. This does not mean that the user will experience level 5 icing in each cloud scenario, but it is the maximum allowed level.

CLOUD RATIOS

Allows the user to determine what the ratio of clouds used at mid/low levels. If the user selects cumulus, then the majority of the clouds at lower levels will be of the cumulus form. If the user sets the middle level they will experience a mixture of cumulus and stratus. If the user sets stratus, then the majority of the clouds experienced will be of the stratus form.

ENABLE ENHANCED THUNDERSTORMS

When enable, this option causes FSX/P3D to use the maximum level of severity to enhance how thunderstorms are represented within the simulation.

ENABLE ENHANCED LIGHTNING

This creates a more realistic view of lightning that gives more depth to the way thunderstorms are represented within FSX/P3D.

ENABLE STORM SCUD

We like to call this the "meanness" factor. This gives an added feeling of meanness to the thunderstorm look while upon the ground or flying at lower altitudes. We have experienced some very intimidating cloud structures with this setting enabled.

ENABLE CLOUD ICING

This option automatically turns on and off cloud icing within the simulation. This setting overrides your maximum cloud icing settings.

ENABLE CLOUD TURBULENCE

Similar to cloud icing, this option will turn on or off cloud turbulence. This setting overrides your maximum cloud turbulence settings.

ENABLE GLOBAL CIRRUS CLOUD DECK

Sometimes flying in areas with little or no weather simply looks boring. We have provided the means for a global layer of cirrus clouds to be used for those occasions. When enabled, a global layer of cirrus type clouds will appear.

ENABLE GLOBAL CUMULUS CLOUD DECK

Such as ENABLE GLOBAL CIRRUS CLOUD DECK, we have provided the means for a global layer of cumulus clouds to be used for those occasions. When enabled, a global layer of cumulus type clouds will appear.

CUMULUS DEFINITION

This allows the user to change the structure representation of the cumulus cloud definition from fluffy to a more flat look.

STRATUS DEFINITION

This allows the user to change the structure representation of the stratus cloud definition from chaotic to more stable.

CUMULONIMBUS DEFINITION

This allows the user to change the structure representation of the cumulonimbus cloud from an anvil to towering structure.

Next Feature: New Weather Engine

We will describe some of the new features within the new weather engine.

Sounding great Tim, looking forward to release!

Cheers,

Derek

Great information! Eagerly anticipating for it :D

Yeah! Awsome! That will make all difference on simulation!! Great news and amazing updates guys!

WOW....thats great !! and, this describes my state of mind:

Im sitting waiting wishing...

Were you a weather man in another life Tim?. I was in weather in the Navy (many years ago), and your depth of knowledge is Awesome! Great Stuff Tim and REX team. :D

These updates only get better!

Will Essential have any Intracloud Lightning effects? It would be nice to see something like this within FSX:

I only see flashes from the base to ground.

I have seen this effect in the current version of REX also.... At least I believe it's the same as this video is showing.

Sounding very impressive Tim and the rest of the REX gang.

It just keeps getting better!

I see that the "new weather engine" is the next topic - but that topic was already posted back on Feb 24th.

We will be highlighting more of the backend part of the new weather engine which is not covered on the Feb 24th post.

Looks like REX is becoming a lot more dynamic. Will there be a huge frame rate hit when we turn the thunderstorms into monsters? I do expect it but would like to know by how much.

That depends on you and how high-resolution of textures you have installed. We GIVE you that option ;)

Wow!!!

....awesome.....more awesome........REX ESSENTIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Namal, no one forces you to read these posts. ;)

That clip looks Awesome ....

I'm currently running REX OD at 4096 and my fraps are stable in the high twenty with a limiter

Is there any similarity with Essential in terms of performance or the latest is more demanding ?

That clip looks Awesome ....

I'm currently running REX OD at 4096 and my fraps are stable in the high twenty with a limiter

Is there any similarity with Essential in terms of performance or the latest is more demanding ?

No not really more demanding, just better!

Well, we have given the option for better optimized water shader files... this will help ALL the problems some folks experienced around large bodies of water ;)

Another great update!

thanks a lot for it ... and:

Well, we have given the option for better optimized water shader files... this will help ALL the problems some folks experienced around large bodies of water ;)

... That sounds most fantastic as well! SUPER!

Will these clouds and weather be compatibe with 3D real cockpit effects ?

thank you