#1 Bman.

Bman.

Advanced Member

• REX Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • LocationSpringfield, Missouri

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:25 PM

So I finally broke out my X-52 to enjoy some different flying fun - gliding in the Discus (Aerosoft).  I read up and installed CumulusX to help out the thermals along mountains / ridges.  Great.

What I found is that we have been spoiled by REX textures!  :)  Not that CumulusX is written to replace cumulus clouds but rather indicate where thermals have formed along said ridges.  These textures look sort of out of place adjacent to the rest of the REX textures.

My question - is there any way to integrate REX cumulus textures in lieu of the textures in place from CumulusX?  We are talking about two different programs and two different texture sets so I know the fundamental answer - no.  However, it would be sweet if REX could hook Peter Lurken up with a "for Cumulux!" texture pack ... that would be nice.  There are so many nice REX sets that would really help out Cumulus X and make it work seamless with REX.

Any other suggestions - other than installing CumulusX to help the clouds mesh a little better?

Thanks-

Benjamin. 

Posted Image

#2 Ebo

Ebo

Advanced Member

• Global Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,440 posts
  • LocationHillcrest (35 km from FAVG), South Africa ~ -29.777092,30.761746

Posted 22 August 2011 - 05:21 AM

What would even be better is to include thermals into REX  ;)

Reed, please put it on your to do list for the next update  :) . If possible, that is.

Regards
Eberhard Haberkorn
southafrica-1.png
Attachment%207.png
rexe_beta.png rexlat_beta.jpg

Intel® Core i7-3770 @ 3.4GHz | Intel Mobo - DZ77BH-55K | Gigabyte Nvidia GTX660 (2GB) ~ 335.23 | BX2450 Samsung | 19" Sony SDM-S96D | CoolerMaster Elite | Huntkey 700W | Boot: 500GB, FSX on Seagate 1TB SSHD, WD 2TB | 8Gb DDR3 1600 | Win8.1 Pro x64
#15026 | Beta tester ~ TongassX • FTX Beta team • Aerosoft AntarcticaX / USCities Los AngelesX / BerlinX

#3 rockliffe

rockliffe

Advanced Member

• Verified Members
  • 318 posts
  • LocationEGGD, Somerset, UK

Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:06 AM

Hi guys, I remember mentioning this last year after getting into simming. I can't remember receiving any conclusive answer though. I think, as you probably have already said Ben, it will not be possible. I would love to be wrong. I think it could be done, but I suspect it would have to be a separate add on and run independently from REX. I base this assumption on the fact that the clouds are generated differently. From what I can see, the REX clouds appear as 2D flat clouds, but the Cumulus X clouds are in fact 3D which you can actually circle beneath and fly around, you can't do that with a REX cloud. So from that point, there is obviously a very big difference in how they are designed, programmed and displayed. As I said, this is my own 'take' things and I would be ecstatic to be proved wrong  ;)
79303 REX-001 REX - REX Essential PLUS
287629 REX-010 REX - REX 4 | Texture Direct HD

Cheers, Howard.

Win 7 64, FSX, Asus P8Z68-V MB, i5 2500K OC @ 4.6ghz, Nvidia GTX 580 1.5Gb GPU, 8gb RAM (2x4) 1600Mhz Kingston, SSD Ocz 256gb +FSX, SSD 65gb +OS, Western Digital 500gb HD + Storage,
Samsung 500gb HD + Acronis Bckp, Ocz 750 PSU, Dell 3008WFP 30"@2560x1600, Creative 2.1, Hotas Warthog, TrackIR 5, Ezdok.

#4 timest999

timest999

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 28,445 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 31 August 2011 - 03:15 AM

The reason they differ in appearance, is because you need to discern where the thermals are present. If they blended perfectly how would you tell? Rockliffe is correct though, they are 2 completely different technologies, and to create the type of detail in with that protocol is not doable. Believe me, we've tried ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users