cthiggin

Help me choose the right GPU

8 posts in this topic

Hello folks,

WELL, my BFG 285 OCFU is on it's last leg, and before it dies, I need to get some opinions as to my next upgrade:

I'm "looking at" the  nVidia 570 or 580 - possibly an overclocked version FERMI.

I know that FSX is a cpu hog and that the cpu plays more importance than the gpu - but I'm not going to upgrade to I7 for another year.

Help me make the best decision.

Thanks so much and have a blessed day.

cthiggin

Either 570 or 580 would be great, depending on how much money you can spend. If you have the dough then I would say go with the 580. In any case, stick to nVidia for FSX. Its true that FSX is mainly CPU dependent, however, GPU is just as important if you're going to run high resolution (1680x1050 or higher) and high AA. Buy the fastest Nvidia card you can afford.

Hi Tom,

Long time no see.  I hope all is going well.

A couple of weeks ago I nearly asked the same question to our hardware guru Alain.  Please see this topic.  I hope it can help you out.

BTW the last time it's verrrrrrry easy with the Hammonds and playing music in general.  I'm too busy with my hamradio, ;).

Take care my friend.

Hello Guitarman,

I visit every day, but only post when "me needs help".

I think I'll go with the 580 just because of speed in the 1.5gbyte version.

My 285 has worked so well, but it's dying......will just quit for no reason and I'll have to reboot.  Only happens in FSX with extra stress.  Have fan @ 100% - even renewed the

thermal paste on processor...

I'm going to try and go with the i7 2600K early next year.  I know how to oc', so it may help with FSX.

I sold my two Hammonds about 7 months ago to a good friend who is a very good player.  I got good money for these two as they were in just spectacular shape.  Showroom look and

mechanically 100%.  I miss them, but my ol' "shot hands" - just couldn't play anymore without too much pain.

Stay in touch my friend.  Thanks so much for your advice.

Tom

Thanks for your reply, Tom :).

It's a good choice you made to go for the 580.  Actually that's too bad for the 285.  I ever had an issue with a CPU and MB.  Even adding new coolpasta wouldn't help at all.  So it all ended in the trash, :-\.

You already told me in a PM about your Hammonds.  I do believe you still miss them, so sorry for your hands, :'(.

And for the "oldies music lovers", I'm writing this post while "listening" to the music of the movie "The Boat That Rocked".  Don't worry, I'm recording it to see it this coming weekend, ;D.  I still have very good memories of that time with the pirate radiostations transmitting from a boat on the Northsea.  I suppose you too, Kees ?  Radio Veronica, Radio Northsea, Radio Caroline, Radio MiAmigo, Radio Atlantis ?  Those were the days ... where went those times ?

See you soon, Tom.

Hi Tom,

Long time no see.  I hope all is going well.

A couple of weeks ago I nearly asked the same question to our hardware guru Alain.  Please see this topic.  I hope it can help you out.

BTW the last time it's verrrrrrry easy with the Hammonds and playing music in general.  I'm too busy with my hamradio, ;).

Take care my friend.

Thank you for the compliment Peter but I'm no Guru, I just read a lot..

@ Tom, the 2600K is a good CPU for FSX but if you are upgrading next year you may want to go for the Ivy Bridge, as far as the GPU you can't go wrong with the 580 that's for sure, if you are using very high resolution and 3 monitor you may want to look at the 3GB card (depending on your budjet)....  http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709%20600094002%20600085533%20600138078&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=PRICED&PageSize=20

Now if you need to spoil yourself you may want to wait a little (couples of weeks I guess) to see what kind of spec. this poppy will deliver.... it's a 2 x 8 pin + 1 x 6 pin power hungry card.... you will probably need to walk to your braker box from time to time...LOL  http://www.techpowerup.com/148568/EVGA-Ready-with-GeForce-GTX-580-Classified-Graphics-Card.html

Alain,

Thanks so much for the valuable information.

Have a blessed one.

Tom

Thanks for your reply, Tom :).

And for the "oldies music lovers", I'm writing this post while "listening" to the music of the movie "The Boat That Rocked".  Don't worry, I'm recording it to see it this coming weekend, ;D.  I still have very good memories of that time with the pirate radiostations transmitting from a boat on the Northsea.  I suppose you too, Kees ?  Radio Veronica, Radio Northsea, Radio Caroline, Radio MiAmigo, Radio Atlantis ?  Those were the days ... where went those times ?

See you soon, Tom.

Indeed Peter! I even protested in The Hague when the law was changed to stop the broadcasts from the sea!